Does alcohol play an important part in your life?

Options

Replies

• Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I like beer.
    It makes me a jolly good fellow.

Had my issues with alcoholism back in college but cleared that and understand how drinking is not important, but a choice.

-Lays on you-
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I don't drink. So it plays no part in my adult life, other than trying to keep my kids from killing themselves or others with potential drunk choices.

My parents were/are alcohol-drug abusers. So I guess alcohol has cost me my family. My father died because of his alcohol use. I have no family ties, because the choices my parents made. My grandfather had a drinking problem and molested his youngest daughter. My mother, in her addiction, allowed my brother to be habitually molested by a man that lived with us for 10 years. That kind thing doesn't happen as easily with sober parents, parents that think about their kids before that beer.

My son, under the influence, has tried to commit suicide twice, ages 16 and 19.

That, in a nutshell, is how alcohol has played an important role in my life. I'd been far better off without it.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Doesn't play important part but mmmmm lambics. I'm a lambic and cider girl. But honestly, I would just as soon drink chocolate milk :tongue:
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Used to. Not anymore. Hoarding brain cells.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Also, just a "prescription" from my neurologist boss- a beer a day keeps your blood vessels clean. But no cheating and having 7 on Sunday.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    It really depenss on the environment and person.. I'm not rich enough to get a carefully brewed beer and note the hops and light touch of scotch to just make it be like that .. or whatever

Glad people can have fun with it , I envy but at the moment I'm sitting alone and being a miserable *kitten*,, oh and drinking
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Socially drink .
  • Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! My fellow craft beer lovers: please add me as a friend so I can creep on what you're drinking :)

I love beer more than anything. If I weren't already married I'd propose to Boulevard Saison-Brett, most likely.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    No. I don't like the taste and would rather have a soda
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I'm not into it. Social drinker and only drinks I like the taste of, which lately has just been mudslides. That *kitten* too expensive.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    When others learn that I hardly ever drink (maybe 3 micro beers a year), they think either I have had a drinking problem or that I'm a Bible thumper; I'm neither.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    I used to drink .. a lot . Then I became saved under the grace of Jesus Christ and I lost interest in drinking which was amazing because I would drink a whole 5th to myself in one night and sought alcohol when stressed to relax. I have not had alcohol for almost 2 years :) My skin is better , my weight is better, and ultimately i have a glow I did not have before..

Nice post. Awesome even.

I wish you well.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Love wine and drink it with most meals and craft cocktails - which I have less frequently. I just ensure I plan for the extra calories....And I generally give up alcohol for lent each year...However, I start to crave the wine about a week before Easter (when I am planning the Easter meal....mmmm).
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail now and then, but I'd hardly say alcohol plays an important part in my life. If I were told I could never touch a drop again, I'd be fine. I'd rather give up booze than chocolate.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say a pretty significant part of my life. I grew up loving wine and alcohol in general. Our family functions have wine and spirits flowing, my husband, father and father-in-law all belong to a wine club. Nothing like a beautiful Italian dinner and a good wine to go along with it.. ahhh ;)
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    0 importance, I've never bothered with it.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It no longer has a part in my life. I drank socially until it became a problem and walked away from it six years ago.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about alcoholism etc. That's an addiction I'm pretty sure is genetic as I have downed more pints then most alcoholics, yet can go months, if need be, without being bothered by its absence.
    I'm talking about other things. For instance, spitits can lower blood sugar, whilst beer can raise it. Personally, I have a huge problem with getting unbroken sleep. When I get to my crabby point, (usually after about 4 days of broken shallow sleep), a few tots of whisky send me into 8-10 unbroken hours of beautiful restful sleep. I wake refreshed and ready for the world.

I have horrible sleep too...only manage about 40 minutes at a time anymore. Last nite hubs suggested I take a swig from the bottle and I didn't, maybe he was onto something? Going to try this tonite!
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options
    I'm not talking about alcoholism etc. That's an addiction I'm pretty sure is genetic as I have downed more pints then most alcoholics, yet can go months, if need be, without being bothered by its absence.
    I'm talking about other things. For instance, spitits can lower blood sugar, whilst beer can raise it. Personally, I have a huge problem with getting unbroken sleep. When I get to my crabby point, (usually after about 4 days of broken shallow sleep), a few tots of whisky send me into 8-10 unbroken hours of beautiful restful sleep. I wake refreshed and ready for the world.

I have horrible sleep too...only manage about 40 minutes at a time anymore. Last nite hubs suggested I take a swig from the bottle and I didn't, maybe he was onto something? Going to try this tonite!

Don't get reliant though. There may be important reasons why you aren't sleeping. Get it checked out. Let me know how the alcohol helps but do keep it to a gentle assist rather than a sledgehammer.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of beer, yes it's empty calories but it tastes great after a hard days work and the kids are yelling and screaming for stuff that can wait. As for sleeping, I have sleep apnea so I have to wear a mask to bed and it gives me a full sound nights sleep. there are also natural sleeping pills out there that will get you tired before bed but not knock you out to the world.