I'm sure it's been asked 1000 times but...

Options
i am to be eating 1260 calories a day, when I exercise should I be eating my calories back? And if I dont eat them back am I getting enough calories in for the day?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    it's been asked more than 1000 times.

Click on Search
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    As long as you eat at least 1200 calories you should be fine. The choice to eat your exercise calories back is your choice. I typically don't unless it is one of "those" days. :happy:
  • chelseawilliamson
    Options

Click on Search

or, you could just be nice and answer the question/concerns. thanks.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

Click on Search

I know, right? I'm sick of people being snotty on here.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Click on Search

I agree
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

Click on Search

I think there is a ticker on this topic...12056... and counting.....
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Click on Search

lmfao....
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories back ... but I eat about 2200-2400 calories daily, whether I workout or not. I have found that this works better for me because on days when I run I am never hungry at all ... and then I eat too low, make my body mad and actually start retaining weight!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back when I am hungry. Most people say as along as you have a 1200 calorie net intake and you are not hungry. It also depends on how you are measuring your calories. HRMs are going to be the most accurate, machines and the database here tend to over estimate so you might be eating back to much! It also depends on you, try a couple different things and see what kind of results you get.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i am to be eating 1260 calories a day, when I exercise should I be eating my calories back? And if I dont eat them back am I getting enough calories in for the day?

question 1, Yes:
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
    question 2, no you will not be getting enough if you don't.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    EAT THEM!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i asked this also when i first got on here, i typically eat mine back if i'm feeling famished, sometimes i'll leave a few up there if i'm just not that hungry, i guess it depends on your activity level and what you're eating..i use them for snacks such as fruits or granola. maybe extra dinner
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat at least 1200 calories you should be fine. The choice to eat your exercise calories back is your choice. I typically don't unless it is one of "those" days. :happy:

Wrong! You need to NET 1200 calories. But that is just a ballpark number as everyone is different.

Where is Avalonis when i need him?!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    oops, repost.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different when it comes to eating back their exercise calories. That being said, MFP already figures a deficit into your calories when it gives you your daily calorie allowance. It assumes you won't be exercising, so it makes sure you have a deficit built in. Since the deficit is already built into the calories you're eating for the day, you should try and eat back at least some of your exercise calories.

Here's an easy way to see it:

1260 (this is the amount of calories MFP wants you to eat each day) - 400 (calories burned in exercise) = 860 NET calories (This is how many calories you're really eating - 860 is far below the 1260 MFP recommends) + 400 calories eaten back after exercising = 1260 which is your original goal. MFP will say you consumed 1660, but you didn't because you burned off 400 of them.

Did that help?
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Click on Search

With all the working out and buffing up, our poor hands and arms get so tired that it's sometimes just too difficult for us to type a polite response for a newer member. Sorry about that.

There are many different opinions on eating back calories. My personal experience? I need to eat back to at least a net of 1200 or so, or else my weight loss stalls. I recommend fiddling with it a bit and seeing what works best for you.

Welcome, and glad you're here!

Kris
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Click on Search

respect to the above , i thought we were all trying to help each other here! i eat half mine back if i have done a huge burn but only if i'm hungry i never force myself!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. you need to net 1200 cals. I totally eat my exercie calories back but not necessarly all of them. Try to fill them with good for you foods but allow yourself a treat every once in awhile too. it keep syou sane :)
  • lbelfrey
    lbelfrey Posts: 63
    Options
    When I was new to this site I didn't know this was the dreaded question. Lol!
    Something I read helped me with this question. The article said that you should have a deficit in calories of about 300-500 per day, but never more than 1000. (And, for women eat atleast 1200 calories a day, for men 1600) So based on that, I wouldn't worry about eating ALL your calories back.
    Hope this was helpful It was for me.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Click on Search

The answer is yes. I made a website about it: http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
    Love,
    Taso