I Lost 12 Kgs in a healthy way and gunning for more !!!

Options
Thank you folks...you inspired me to do the unthinkable in my world.
MFP is rocking and awesome. I just logged in my weight and I lost a cool 12 KGS.

A little about me, I was never a super fit guy, I smoked a lot, had an angry outlook, was not focussed and was grouchy half of the time.
I had severe heartburn issues and GERD disease.
But I loved cycling and have done the entire 200 kms,300,400 and 600 kms brevets earning a Super Randonneur title.
Not just that, i have done the world's highest mountain biking trip the MANALI - LEH - KHARDUNGLA climb on a cycle.
Being an endurance cyclist,we tend to do a lot of cardio.
Which ultimately made our legs super strong but screwed up our belly and lean muscle mass.
I had a paunch and that too an ugly one.My upper body was a mess,literally no strength and almost no capability to even do 5 pushups.
The calling came when I got my blood work done.
Triglycerides at 6 times the normal level. Time to reboot I said.

So I analyzed

I decided to take control and came across a lot of tools and stuff and man what a journey.

From doing just cycling, i started doing runs...marathons, strength training, yoga poses and bodyweight training. But most of all,the daily logging of food on MFP was the biggest factor to losing 12 kgs and getting a fit as I can be holistically.

I switched from the antacids to honey lemon ginger and I treated my GERD problem successfully after which I stopped having honey altogether because of the sugar content.
I now have mostly low fat high calcium coffee daily.

So now, I am leaner, faster fitter slimmer and focussed.
I have not touched a ciggie in the last 2 months.
I can do a tripod and bound headstand comfortably now..something which I never thought was humanly possible for me.

I avoided sugar from a mile and switched to fruits and super healthy eggs and protein based diet .
I switched to stuff like lettuce, radishes, salmon,chicken breasts and whole grain bread.
Had coconut water as recovery drink and I have honestly
AVOIDED THE SWEETENED CARBONATED SODA DRINKS like the plague for like 4 months now.

My daily bodyweight workouts which I do alternatively stands now to:

20x5 reps of pushups.
20x2 reps of boat
20x2 reps of Russian twists
60 squats
10x3 explosions
3x45 sec dolphin elbow planks,2x30sec side planks
20x2 sets of leg scissors.

In the gym, I workout for an hour and in between i do swimming for 30 mins or so.

Inversions of yoga - 1-minute bound and tripod headstand
1 minute against wall inverted handstand

Plus I run a lot now.
Have averaged 500Kms in the last few months and counting.
You can follow me on strava at

https://www.strava.com/athletes/gaurav_rohatgia

It was a culmination of rigorous routine and keeping myself focussed.

I now intend to add bulk and nail my first full marathon and do an unassisted free full handstand.

New Year Goals !!!

And I wish everyone here has a rocking start to the year 2017 and become a fitter, healthier and focussed person than they are :)

Replies

• rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Have you looked into triathlons? With the added running and swimming, it seems like a natural progression.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have been to all the three places and couldn't breathe at all!! Manali in 2007 when I was super fit and Leh khardungla last year at my highest weight! You've done incredibly well! Congrats and Best of luck!
  • cyberdeception
    cyberdeception Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @SwtHedgehog Thanks... Yes I am planning to do.... But have serious doubts whether I can..Lets see.. First I want to nail my marathon..have done a couple of 21k in under 2 hours..

Only thing is..I am worried about eating carbs as all endurance sports require carbs as fuel.

What to do ?? :neutral:
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Look into triathlon sprints; they're shorter and give you a better idea of whether or not you like the sport. I've done a sprint tri,but have yet to try a half or full marathon.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!