Muscle soreness and recovery

How are you guys dealing with soreness?
I feel like my muscles could really use a massage and I swear my bum and thighs and shoulders are killing me but I'm not seeing a masseuse and asking her to massage my thighs and butt.. that's just awkward.

I'm doing a bit of foam rolling but that *kitten* hurts like hell so I'm not doing as much of it as I should.. I'm hoping you guys have a magical solution for me :flushed: ?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited December 2016
    Epsom salts bath and/or stretching.

Probably do not even need epsom salts, a good hot bath would probably help relieve some of the soreness.
  • banpluak
    banpluak Posts: 11 Member
    Hot bath and stretching will certainly help. Extra water intake to assist with any inflammation as well.

Other than that a light, aerobic, workout to warm the muscles back up and increase blood flow to the sore muscles.

If you can find a Thai massage style practitioner in your area this is excellent for sore muscles. It concentrates on directed pressure and stretching on ligaments, tendons and muscles. It can be a bit painful, tbh, but very effective.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Sufficient protein, sufficient recovery time, stretching.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    The best thing for lactic acid poisoning(muscle soreness) is a light 15-20 minute cardio/aerobic session at 55-70% of max heart rate.

Hydration doesn't hurt either.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    If possible, train a given body-part more frequently with slightly less volume per-session so that you're not reaching a level of soreness that requires any special treatment.

The repeated bout effect is something that kicks in to mitigate muscle damage and this combined with the fact that more frequent training means you can likely partition volume over more days means you'll not be nearly as sore.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Lots of people are big believers in foam rollers. I don't really worry about it. I just try and eat right, drink plenty of water and get 8 hours sleep at night. Then I go lift thru the soreness, it seems to go away by the time I get through my warmup sets.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    The best thing for lactic acid poisoning(muscle soreness) is a light 15-20 minute cardio/aerobic session at 55-70% of max heart rate.

I thought it had been proven that muscle soreness is not, in fact, from lactic acid buildup - wasn't that proven to be a myth??
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    I haven't dealt as much with soreness since incorporating a decent warm down period including stretches, usually 15 minutes or so. Stretching and staying limber is something I've badly neglected over the past year.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Lots of water, lots of walking, and just dealing with it. Not that I get super sore a lot anymore.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited December 2016

I thought it had been proven that muscle soreness is not, in fact, from lactic acid buildup - wasn't that proven to be a myth??

Yes--30 years ago.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    If you get a full body massage they will likely work on your thighs and butt without you having to ask. (Mine always does any way) I would also say that a deep tissue massage may "hurt" just as much as foam rolling, if not more. I am a big pansy when it comes to foam rolling on myself, buy my massage lady shows no mercy lol. Now that I've gone several times I'm significantly less tight so it doesn't hurt *as bad*.
    I try to do my foam rolling and salt baths at home in addition to a weekly massage, but I was a "train wreck" and have some issues with my back that go beyond typical muscle soreness.
  • Jar_Rod44
    Jar_Rod44 Posts: 7 Member
    Stretching and rolling with a softer foam roller...Immediately following Ur workout. That has always worked best for me
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    I'm not seeing a masseuse and asking her to massage my thighs and butt.. that's just awkward.

So see a masseur and ask him to massage your thighs and butt.

Seriously, though, I have no problems seeing a masseuse and getting a full-body, including hams, quads, and glutes.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    I'm not seeing a masseuse and asking her to massage my thighs and butt.. that's just awkward.

So see a masseur and ask him to massage your thighs and butt.

Seriously, though, I have no problems seeing a masseuse and getting a full-body, including hams, quads, and glutes.

I demand whatever I want worked on haha. I paid for the dang thing, I'm getting my money's worth!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    foam roller isn't my favourite for certain muscles because awkward, especially when the muscles are sore.

a lacrosse ball (or other, but lacrosse ball is my favourite) up against a wall is my go-to for glute and upper hamstring massage. you can isolate more and also have better control over the degree of pressure, so maybe give that a try. for shoulders, i swear blind by those little 1-inch super-bouncy balls you can buy in packs of 6 from the party-favours section of toys 'r' us. or your local loonie store, if applicable.

quads can get super-painful and also be a real nuisance to rehab once they get short or tight. so much as i struggle with doing them and getting them right, stretching is truly a thing, especially for the i.t. and vmo area. i've never had that much success with foam-rolling quads for whatever reason.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member

This.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Hey thanks guys. It wasn't soreness like the day after workouts, it was more like long term overuse of the muscle and needing a massage kinda thing. I went and got one and feel so much better now.
    (Sorry that I wasn't clear.. English isn't my language)
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 263 Member
    Up your protein and your muscles will heal faster. Worked for me
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

Adding carbs to the equations helps. Especially if those carbs contain magnesium/potassium.

SideSteel wrote: »
    If possible, train a given body-part more frequently with slightly less volume per-session so that you're not reaching a level of soreness that requires any special treatment.

The repeated bout effect is something that kicks in to mitigate muscle damage and this combined with the fact that more frequent training means you can likely partition volume over more days means you'll not be nearly as sore.

And what this kid says.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    I know it's not proven scientifically to work, but I swear by arnica cream!!!