vitamins.. not a new topic but..........

Options
I did a search and found lots of junk around the taking of a multivitamins. So I do see that there are two sides ( or three or four) to the possible benefits of taking a daily multivitamin.

What I want to know is does anyone take them regularly and felt their diet and health are actually better because of their vitamin consumption. If so, What do you take? Is it gender specific? Are you bumping up calcium as well? Really wondering if vitamins are worth the cost to help me live and be a healthier person overall OR are they really just unessential extras.
My diet is by no means perfect but I do try to get in my 5 servings of veggies and 3 of fruits and so on.

Whaddya think?

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Really its up to you. Im an advocate of them personally. The benefit of a multivitamin is gettting micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that are hard to get in even a healthy well balanced diet. Personally, If I dont take my vitamin for a few days I notice a difference in energy and cravings. Alot of cravings have to do with a deficiency in micro nutrients. I take a gummy pre-natal because for some reason I have issues with normal multis (I get very sick) but the extra foli acid helps with hair/mail growth. I am thinking of trying an extra b-complex since those are designed to help with mood and energy (and some Bs are hard to get naturally). If you dont enjoy fish, or dont eat it often, Omega 3 (fish oil) pills and gummies are always a good idea, these are nevessary for brain health and some joint fluids.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've always tried to take a multivitimin (One a day plus iron) for women. I tend to have low iron and I could do better eating my veggies. I absolutely feel better when I take my vitimin. If I don't take it regularly, I get really sleepy and have little energy in the afternoons - almost to the point where I'm questioning if I'm pregnant! I feel that since I'm training, I need it even more. I'm sure there are better vitimins out there, but One a Day seems to work just fine for me. I don't take extra calcium since I feel I get plenty. I LOVE milk and milk products so I eat/drink them regularly.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I take a basic multi and can definitely feel the difference in my energy. For me, it's such an easy thing to do, so why not?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i used to take them because i am in the health care field and was told i should to help fend off illness.
    but it didnt matter i still got sick..as a matter of fact, i dont get as sick now that i'm off the mutli than i did when i was taking one.
    yes they are gender specific..since of course we have different hormones and such and require different amounts of things and different things.

generally, if you are a healthy person eating a healthy well rounded diet, you dont need vitamins.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy but there are essential vitamins you are not going to get enough from your diet. Don't bother taking the multi, focus on (for women) iron, folid acid (child baring age), calcium (with vitamin D). If you are tracking your food, you should get some idea whether you got enough iron/calcium a day or not. I only take those supplement when it's low.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Recently my doctor advised me to take a multivitamin because my BP is slightly elevated. (It's not technically high, but it's higher than it usually is) And the result was sever constipation. I bet that's aiding in making my BP high as well
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I do worry a little bit about calcium because I am Lactose Intolerant (messy business) and so I try to do almond milk and lactose free instead. I eat some dairy with the help of pills to help aid that digestion but I wonder if I get any benefit then. My grandma, my mom, and all my aunts are either pre-osteoporosis or have a full blown case so I get that I may need to watch this.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do take a vitamin (and glucosamine supplement to help with joint health) and can definitely tell when I don't take them.
    I do make a point to take natural vitamins, because all of the additives, food coloring, etc in the one-a-day's, etc.. isn't something I want to put into my body.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Centrum A thru Zinc Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement

:smile:

I don't know if there is a difference in me or not, but Sue up at SEMC recommended it for me. :wink:
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    I do take a vitamin (and glucosamine supplement to help with joint health) and can definitely tell when I don't take them.
    I do make a point to take natural vitamins, because all of the additives, food coloring, etc in the one-a-day's, etc.. isn't something I want to put into my body.

Can I ask what the glucosamine actually does? I have a hip and a shoulder joint that hurt all the time, even after more exercise and losing weight. I would be interested if it would help me to feel 'smoother' in my joints.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Centrum A thru Zinc Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement

:smile:

I don't know if there is a difference in me or not, but Sue up at SEMC recommended it for me. :wink:

Centrum for women?
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    You can eat healthy but there are essential vitamins you are not going to get enough from your diet. Don't bother taking the multi, focus on (for women) iron, folid acid (child baring age), calcium (with vitamin D). If you are tracking your food, you should get some idea whether you got enough iron/calcium a day or not. I only take those supplement when it's low.

good advice..should calcium always be taken with vitamin D? It doesn't always come together...
  • Aubryleigh
    Options
    Yes, multi-vitamins are definitely worth the extra expense. Unless you are eating a completely "raw" diet (unprocessed, uncooked) you are probably not getting all the micro nutrients you need. You also mentioned you are lactose intolerant, so be careful when selecting your vitamins. You'd be surprised how many vitamins have dairy or animal products in them. Visit your local natural foods market and look for vegan multi-vitamins for women.

Try it for a month and see how you feel, couldn't hurt! Good luck on your journey. :-)
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Yes, multi-vitamins are definitely worth the extra expense. Unless you are eating a completely "raw" diet (unprocessed, uncooked) you are probably not getting all the micro nutrients you need. You also mentioned you are lactose intolerant, so be careful when selecting your vitamins. You'd be surprised how many vitamins have dairy or animal products in them. Visit your local natural foods market and look for vegan multi-vitamins for women.

Try it for a month and see how you feel, couldn't hurt! Good luck on your journey. :-)

Thank you so much! I wouldn't have thought to look for that!