Diabetes

Options
Is anyone living with diabetes and trying to maintain their current weight? Cutting back on the amount of carbs at one setting but still trying to find enough calories. As I am new to this, I am looking for people that are dealing with checking the blood glucose and finding different ways to eat. Maybe there is another place where there are examples of foods for diabetics etc... Any help?

Replies

• klnlrl1992
    klnlrl1992 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I am diabetic and new to the site. I have had diabetis for 17 years. Finally thinking more of myself now the kids are older...I need to lose weight... I can help what is a specific question you may have.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Hello! There is a great group on MFP. Very helpful group and lots of info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I understand that different foods effect people differently but I am looking to see what other people enjoy eating and can still stay on track with their blood glucose readings. Recently I found bread that hardly does anything to my blood sugar, healthful w/flax & sunflower - 14 g of carbs for one piece but for whatever reason doesn't make make sugar jump hardly at all 1,2,3 hours after.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    Also I eat cereal in the morning (Shredded Wheat Spoon Sized) When I ate 50 carbs it made my blood sugar jump. When I at 38 carbs (3/4) it didn't do anything to my readings. I enjoy a bowl of shredded wheat spoon size with almond milk.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I am just starting to cook more and more and I am looking for different ideas. I don't eat meat which I realize is different than most which makes it harder for me when looking at normal diabetic cookbooks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Honestly, dropping some weight and exercising will kick T2diabetes in the butt! It turned mine around in a couple of months.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    lorrpb - thanks for the advice. I have listened to those words and I have dropped the weight and excessing all that I can. I am just looking for new foods or old foods for you that work.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    shinycrazy - any list of foods that people eat anywhere? a website? I am just looking for new ideas?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    lorrpb - thanks for the links. - I understand that whole grain bread is better than whit. I know not to eat trans fat etc. For example not all whole grain breads work for me. I can eat healthful bread with sunflower and flaxseed. I can't eat all cereals but 40 g of shredded wheat spoon size works for me. I also understand just because it works for me it doesn't work for everyone. However I do believe that their is a website or lists where there are nutritious diabetic examples of how different people are eating. I was curious if there are certain specific examples of what works for others... We could share and maybe branch out and eat more nutritious things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I blogged a list of mid-day snacks, heavy on the protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

Pairing protein with carbs really helps keep the numbers in check.

If you are in maintenance keep in mind that fats have a negligible effect on your blood sugars, while delivering a calorie punch. This would include full fat dairy and nuts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason if I start my day with an egg my blood sugars are solid all day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution had a lot of good food ideas. It's a low carb, higher fat plan that has the aim to reduce blood glucose and insulin levels. It makes a LOT of sense and can help to normalize BG in many people without any need for drugs. I believe he also has a cookbook.

Paleo and primal cookbooks are often complimentary to lower carb cooking, or can be modified to suit a LCHF diet.

The Low Carber Daily MFP group has many in there with insulin resistance who are using LCHF to treat their diabetes. I'm one. It might be a good place to check out for food ideas. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

For me, what works is keeping my total carbs for the day under about 30g, although it has crept up lately. If I keep my carbs that low I can be sure that I will not experience any BG spikes after eating. Ever. My only problem now is dawn phenomenon. My fasting BG is often my highest BG reading of the day, and LCHF doesn't seem to help that.

I am at my maintenance weight too. I didn't have much to lose to begin with so weight loss did not help me. Food choices do.

My food is based on meats, veggies, nuts, eggs, full fat dairy (whipped cream, 14% sour cream, cheese), seeds, coconut and a bit of fruit. I skip all added sugars, of any sort, and all grains, including corn, rice, wheat and oats. I don't miss the grains at all but I do still wish for a sweet once in a while. It isn't much of a bother though.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    Jgnatca and nvmomketo - thank you for your ideas. I am a vegan so that limits some of the things I can snack on but I have been keeping my blood sugar where it needs to be with just my diet. It seems to be a little higher in the morning after I eat breakfast but still within the range I need to be. I eat often but I eat smaller portions. Beans, nuts, small amount of grains and a whole lot of veggies.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Jgnatca and nvmomketo - thank you for your ideas. I am a vegan so that limits some of the things I can snack on but I have been keeping my blood sugar where it needs to be with just my diet. It seems to be a little higher in the morning after I eat breakfast but still within the range I need to be. I eat often but I eat smaller portions. Beans, nuts, small amount of grains and a whole lot of veggies.

The Wahl's Protocol might work for you. It's LCHF but much more plant based. It's a doctor designed diet for reducing inflammation that Wahl's created to help with autoimmune diseases, namely MS.

Or try the Low Carber Daily group I linked. We have a few vegetarian and vegan low carbers in there who can offer more advice than I can. :) Best wishes.