Workout Split

Options
I am trying to decide between a 3 days split and a 5 day split for weightlifting. What do you guys this is better?

Replies

• broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Personally I prefer a 3 day split because im hitting all my muscle groups twice a week and I notice that I get less sore if I do it like this compared to a 5 day split. Really tho do whatever you think you'll be able to stick with consistently.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? What are your goals?

For me, 5 days is too much. I prefer 3 or 4.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Depends on these.
  • teddybar3
    teddybar3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I was lifting for 6 months then got pregnant and had to stop. Now I'm 7months PP trying to get back to it. My goals are basically to get back into shape, lower my body fat percentage and get some nice lean muscle.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a 3 day full body for you.
    Another option is a 4 day upper/lower program
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I like to train 6 times a week. Others prefer 2/3.

What fits your schedule and goals?
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I do 4x week for lifting (I have a trainer who set up my basic routine) and I really enjoy it. If you want, you can message me for my split and I'll send it to you. I do MTRF, then do a group class W and Sat (or Sun depending on the week), and do cardio wherever it feels right. I say, try one out for a month, see if you like it, and if you don't, try the other for a month and make your adjustments from there. I think it's important for whatever you choose to do, make sure you stick with it for awhile to see if it's right. I don't think you can make a decision on a workout routine in a week.

Good luck!! :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I agree about whatever fits your schedule.. life with a 7 month old can be a little hectic. I prefer a 3 day full body program for that reason. I had/have great postpartum results doing that.. but some people prefer a split.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    teddybar3 wrote: »
    I am trying to decide between a 3 days split and a 5 day split for weightlifting. What do you guys this is better?

Three days per week is typical of a full body program rather than a split...four or five days are typical of a split. Personally, I see little point in doing a split unless you're specifically looking for volume to put on mass...or just really like hanging out in the gym. A full body program is great for overall fitness and sculpting a nice physique and is where most beginners should really start anyway...but it's just as applicable to intermediate and advanced lifters alike.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I'd recommend a 3 day full body for you.
    Another option is a 4 day upper/lower program

For someone still relatively new to lifting, this is what I would recommend as well. And depending what you are looking to get out of a routine, you can choose from one of the below.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Three days per week is typical of a full body program rather than a split...four or five days are typical of a split. Personally, I see little point in doing a split unless you're specifically looking for volume to put on mass...or just really like hanging out in the gym. A full body program is great for overall fitness and sculpting a nice physique and is where most beginners should really start anyway...but it's just as applicable to intermediate and advanced lifters alike.

I'm glad to see this point, because I am not really a beginner but love full body and don't see myself switching any time soon.
  • teddybar3
    Options
    Prior to baby i was doing a 5 days split and it worked well. But I'm not sure about a 3 day full body workout. I really enjoy lifting heavy weights amd kinda dont want to give that up. I do not go to a gym at all, I have a barbell and some dumbbells at home. I may return to a full body but probably at 5 days a week, thats what i did when I first started out and it toned me up really well.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Prior to baby i was doing a 5 days split and it worked well. But I'm not sure about a 3 day full body workout. I really enjoy lifting heavy weights amd kinda dont want to give that up. I do not go to a gym at all, I have a barbell and some dumbbells at home. I may return to a full body but probably at 5 days a week, thats what i did when I first started out and it toned me up really well.

I don't understand why you feel you'd have to give up heavy weights @ 3 days/week?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you want to find a 5 day program then go for it. There are plenty out there.

Just don't assume that a 5 day split will do more than a 3 day full body. Less is often more in lifting.
  • teddybar3
    Options

I don't understand why you feel you'd have to give up heavy weights @ 3 days/week?

I simply don't have time for both, i also have a 4 year old.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

A lot of 3x full body programs are specifically "heavy"...so not sure why you would think you couldn't lift "heavy" with a 3x full body program.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

:huh:

If you don't have time for a 3-day routine, how do you have time for a 5-day routine? If done right, the 3-day will probably take less time each day than the 5-day, anyway. Or, at least, not significantly more time.
  • teddybar3
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

If you don't have time for a 3-day routine, how do you have time for a 5-day routine? If done right, the 3-day will probably take less time each day than the 5-day, anyway. Or, at least, not significantly more time.

I meant per day, full body heavy weightlifting would take over an hour and i cant take that long.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I meant per day, full body heavy weightlifting would take over an hour and i cant take that long.

I do full body 3x per week and I'm in and out in an hour...most programs take about an hour.