Jucing?????

Options
Hello I am a 21ye old guy 240lb 5 9 I am wondering if I start juicing will i lose weght. Now I know juicing takes away fiber etc, but is it healthy or could I just replace a lunch or dinner with a juice. I am tired of all these fads diets I just want one that is liget I watched Joe cross and that's what led me to this. Someone please help I am really trying, so if any juicers out there can give tips or just basic diet tips. I recently started weighing my food and cook a week worth of meals so hope that's ok.

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    it is all about calories in and calories out. if you meet your calorie goal, it does not matter how you get there. juicing is a healthy choice, but you will not lose anymore than eating or drinking something with the same amount of calories. it is a healthy option....... all about choices that fit your goal!
  • dariusshaw
    dariusshaw Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok well I plan on starting I gonna still eat my re 4oz chicken breast and vegetables but want to replace dinner or breakfast with a juice. I'm not really sure if I will function just on juice everyday seems impossible but if so I willing to try any juicer recipe?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hey,

From what you wrote it sounds like you need to learn about nutrition, how weight loss works and what you need to do. You don't need to be on a "diet" you need to be educated on nutrition. Also Juicing is one of those fads you said you hated. Read all the stickies in the nutrition and weight loss section, do some research online and then start testing with your body.

I wouldn't ask everyone on here for everything, you get a ton of opinions and allot have no idea what they're talking about. Allot of the time when people ask on here they're just looking for someone to justify what they already want to do. There will be 300 replies saying "that's a horrible idea" then there is 1 replay that says "This is great" the person quotes them and says "thanks that is what I thought" and ignores the other 299 comments... So yeah spend the time and educate yourself.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    dariusshaw wrote: »
    Ok well I plan on starting I gonna still eat my re 4oz chicken breast and vegetables but want to replace dinner or breakfast with a juice. I'm not really sure if I will function just on juice everyday seems impossible but if so I willing to try any juicer recipe?

Instead of "juicing"-- which is basically just sugar, why not lean towards vegetable-based shakes and smoothies instead?

Get yourself a high-speed blender/chopper like a Ninja, and whip up your own concoctions that are heavy on whole vegetables like spinach, carrot, beet, sweet potato, celery, cucumber, and kale. A little stevia for sweetness, and maybe a handfull of frozen berries for color and flavor, and you've got something that will be much more satisfying and filling because of the fiber, and much more nutritious than juice.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Juicing won't do anything magical for you and I doubt it will make you feel full for any amount of time.

Weight loss is about CICO and is pretty straightforward-just enter your current stats into MFP and then chose the 1lb or 2lb a week option (many start with 2lbs and then adjust to 1lb as they get further along). Then start tracking your calorie intake in your food diary area, (pre-planning your days and using a food scale will really help with this). Focus on hitting your calorie target, which already has the deficit you need built in. You can continue to eat all the foods you like, just learn how to fit them in with your calorie target :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Instead of "juicing"-- which is basically just sugar, why not lean towards vegetable-based shakes and smoothies instead?

Get yourself a high-speed blender/chopper like a Ninja, and whip up your own concoctions that are heavy on whole vegetables like spinach, carrot, beet, sweet potato, celery, cucumber, and kale. A little stevia for sweetness, and maybe a handfull of frozen berries for color and flavor, and you've got something that will be much more satisfying and filling because of the fiber, and much more nutritious than juice.

Decent idea.

OP, not sure why you think it's a good idea to replace a meal with juice -- if you go too low cal it won't be sustainable, and juice isn't magic. One thing it is good for is people who won't consume vegetables otherwise (as an addition to whole foods), but much better to learn how to eat vegetables, and you seem okay with doing that as above.

That said, I sometimes have a smoothie for breakfast because it's what I crave. Unlike a juice it has the same calories as the usual breakfast I would have, some fat, and a good base of protein. I make it with vegetables (one recipe includes pre-roasted winter squash, green pepper, and lots of spinach), a little bit of fruit (not that much) (the recipe mentioned includes strawberries), a source of protein (I usually use Fage greek yogurt and protein powder), plus maybe a source of healthy fat (I make homemade cashew milk which has more calories than that in the store but also the whole cashews, so some good fat). Something like that is balanced and keeps the fiber and also tastes good (since you make it to your taste).

Bigger issue, whether you juice or not, is total calories, getting enough protein, and getting a good, sustainable, nutritious diet. Here's a good site if you want to learn more about nutrition:https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/ (Much more reliable than that Joe movie).
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Give it a go and when you get fed up just do what cwolfman13 said
    Good luck
  • dariusshaw
    dariusshaw Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry guys just realized I did contradict myself but just wanted to see if I could replace a meal with a juice so that I won't go over board let's say for dinner. Thanks cwolfman I will try to eat less I wake up at 4am then eat cereal or mcdonalds(I know very bad but only once a week) then at 9am it various maybe bacon egg cheese sandwich sometimes it's my lunch ( 4 oz chicken breast with frozen steamable veggie bag from krogers 1/2 cup) after that around 12pm or less I'm ready to snack this is were i mess up. Then around 6pm is my dinner usually consist of the same thing I had for lunch with grapes. Anything wrong with this schedule improvements I need all advice welcomed
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking what you eat with MFP?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My serving of chicken is 4 ounces and I am almost 30 years older than you, shorter, lighter, and female.

When you put your stats into MFP and tell it you want to lose 1.5 pounds a week, how many calories does it tell you to eat per day? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you are cutting out actual foods for juice, you are likely to end up going overboard, because you will be hungry. There is nothing wrong with juice, but it isn't going to keep you feeling full. Sustainability is a big part of the equation. If you are feeling hungry, how long is it going to last? I make my worst dietary decisions when I am too hungry.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you are cutting out actual foods for juice, you are likely to end up going overboard, because you will be hungry. There is nothing wrong with juice, but it isn't going to keep you feeling full. Sustainability is a big part of the equation. If you are feeling hungry, how long is it going to last? I make my worst dietary decisions when I am too hungry.

This. Cutting out meals doesn't necessarily help for weight loss. If you're having a snacking problem now, then juicing is not going to help that....it will make it much worse.

Weighing and logging your food does help.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try your plan for a couple of weeks, tracking everything as well as checking in with your hunger and energy. I enjoy juicing, I use as a form of fasting on a very occasional basis- like one day a month, or if I'm in the mood. There are millions of ways to get your calories and nutrition- if you want one juice a day go for it. IMO better than spending those cals on fast food. Good luck- just make a plan and stick to it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry guys just realized I did contradict myself but just wanted to see if I could replace a meal with a juice so that I won't go over board let's say for dinner. Thanks cwolfman I will try to eat less I wake up at 4am then eat cereal or mcdonalds(I know very bad but only once a week) then at 9am it various maybe bacon egg cheese sandwich sometimes it's my lunch ( 4 oz chicken breast with frozen steamable veggie bag from krogers 1/2 cup) after that around 12pm or less I'm ready to snack this is were i mess up. Then around 6pm is my dinner usually consist of the same thing I had for lunch with grapes. Anything wrong with this schedule improvements I need all advice welcomed

Your diet is devoid of nutrition
    And volume
    And taste

Juicing is another fad and won't help

Start logging and see what changes you can make easily ...use a scale ..and increase and widen your half cup vegetables and grapes intake

• irandra23
    irandra23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Juicing wont give you long term results..... I once tried it a a means to lose weight. I was so happy when i losing 2kgs per week but you cant live on juice alone. As soon as i started eating again the kgs just came back.

Listen to what is being advised by the people on here. Unfortunately its the long method that yields long term results there are no short cuts to a healthy lifestyle.