Fitbit compared to moron pedometer

Options
Hi, I'm Esther. I have worn a pedometer for quite awhile now and decided to get a fitbit flex. I am baffled because the fitbit says 7000 steps and my pedometer says 4400 steps. Which do I believe. My feet say no way to 7000.

Replies

• DenmarkGirl
    DenmarkGirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It should say moron pedometer
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The pedometer is a moron?
  • DenmarkGirl
    Options
    No sorry, omoron. Spell check got me twice.
  • DenmarkGirl
    Options
    I like to call it my lazyometer!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Love the typos!

The flex is one you wear on your wrist? Sometimes those can pick up arm movements as steps. A lot of people have said they put them on their non-dominant hand to help alleviate that.

I have a One which is a clip-on model just because I can't stand having things on my wrist.
  • hotbabe322015
    hotbabe322015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and sometimes I count my steps myself (when I'm trying to get up to that 250 an hour goal! :smiley: ) and I've found it to be very accurate! Just make sure you log any other exercise and I'd say take it off if you're doing an hour long presentation where you're going to be waving your arms!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You can get extra 'steps' from wrist worn trackers - when I had the Flex I got 'steps' for typing. But I doubt that your pedometer is counting steps accurately, I know from both using my phone and also wearing a Fitbit that there are several thousands of steps difference per day but I trust my Fitbit better (have the Fitbit One).
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That has got to be the best 'damn you autocorrect' ever.

I used to have a 'moron' pedometer and found it to be pretty accurate. I've since got a fitbit One mainly because as others have said, I think it's more accurate than the wrist-worn step counters.

Can you count about 500 steps in your head and then check your pedometer and fitbit to see the difference?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I loved the title lol! Not sure which is more accurate unfortunately. I agree with counting your steps to about 500 or so and then checking both. Fitbit is often high but shouldn't be that far off.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it depends on what type of activity you are doing. FitBit allows you to select Dominant or Non-Dominant Wrist. It has different calculations to account for extra arm movement. However, if you are moving your arms about a lot, say, are a teacher standing at a chalk / white board without much foot movement, then FitBit is going to track way extra "steps". This will occur with ALL wrist fitness trackers. The generic pedometers are fairly accurate though. You just typically can't sync your data to your phone / online with a generic pedometer. It was tough typing a serious response...had to get done laughing at autocorrect.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Crying a bit at 'moron pedometer' hahaha

Thank you for that!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I read this thread just to see what a moron pedometer was. I find my fitbit to be quite accurate, but I have the One which clips to my bra. My guess is your step count is somewhere between the two.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The pedometer is a moron?

If there are smart devices, there must be dumb devices too, otherwise they'd all be average.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The moron pedometer credits your steps when you crochet.

My pet peeve; no credit for stationary bikes. It was suggested I wear my tracker on my ankle but as these smart trackers also GPS correct, they don't credit me the extra effort!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    My pedometer has always been the most accurate. Not all pedometers are this accurate, I think I just got lucky, Here is what you do. Go out into the world where there is a good place to walk. Write down what your fit-bit says in steps, and what your pedometer says in steps. Now start walking. Count out 1000 steps. Left foot-right foot-left foot-right foot, 1,2,3,4. If you are worried about losing count then count up to 100 and extend your index finger, 100 again and hold out the next finger until you have counted 100 steps for all 8 fingers and 2 thumbs. Stop at 1000 steps and check both the fit bit and pedometer. Which is closest to your count? This whole process should take a little under 10 minutes depending upon how fast you are walking. If a pedometer is off sometimes adjusting the position on the waistband remedies the problem, sometimes it's just a bad pedometer.
  • DenmarkGirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I live out on a farm so counting steps would be the easiest. Your comments made me smile on a day that wasn't so great. Tomorrow will be better!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I live out on a farm so counting steps would be the easiest. Your comments made me smile on a day that wasn't so great. Tomorrow will be better!

Your moron pedometer brought many people great joy! I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    I was scrubbing pots and pans and the flex counted those as steps, so be mindful to take it off if you're doing anything like cleaning. The built in step counter on my Samsung Galaxy phone is unflappable however which is good because I also stream my tunes while walking. I miss the flex's ability to monitor my sleep/restlessness though, that helped me to modify my caffeine habit. I should dig it out of the drawer for that function. The S Health app on the Samsung will synch up to myfitnesspal which is also awesome.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What do you do with your hands all day? I work retail, so all of the wrist ones are useless to me - they will all register huge amounts of extra steps, you'd think I wave my hands like a conductor all day.

I have the best luck with a simple pedometer clipped in my pocket at the hip.