Do you ever feel like the scale is lying to you?

Options
I've lost about 20lbs since the summer and my clothes have gotten progressively looser. I know I've lost weight because of my clothes and because of the scale, but sometimes I worry that the scale isn't accurate and that I haven't actually lost as much weight as I think I have. My reason for this is because since I'm almost at goal, I haven't been as strict in tracking and there are days I've gone over and even eaten 2000 cals, but somehow I still didn't gain weight? I'm just feeling confused and probably delusional.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I know mine lies to me, but maybe not in the way your talking about. If I get on mine 2 days in a row with little weight change, it will show me the last weight. If I then get on holding some weights, then get back on without the weights, I get a different weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10485204/dumb-scale-question-weight-watchers-scale#latest

• moosey2011
    moosey2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No, but I sometimes think it talks about me when I'm not around.

Mine probably does that also! :(
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    When I move it to different places in the room the weight can be pounds and pounds different. I ended up just leaving it in one place and going with it.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    All the time... I often mistakenly go for the higher number when inputting my weight because I'm not used to weighing what I am now. I sometimes find it completely unbelievable as I still feel the same-ish but then I put some of my "older' clothing on and notice the difference there too. :)
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Mine lie all the time. Every time I get on them, they tell me I'm fat whereas in my mind I'm quite obviously lean and ripped and can't possibly weigh that.

On a more serious note, if your scales are on a solid surface, the batteries are good, you haven't moved them, you've calibrated them if you have and they give you consistent readings then you're probably OK
    You can check accuracy by scrabbling back on with a pint of water in a glass to see if the weight climbs by a corresponding amount, but just be aware of the limitations of home scales.

TL;DR: You're doing great, well done!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Milesmac wrote: »
    My scale and I separated recently due to "irreconcilable differences". I have visiting rights every Monday, but shortly after we're at odds again so I leave. We just can't communicate. My father told me it would never work, and I guess he was right. Time to just move on but I'll always have the memories. As the old saying goes, 'Tis better to have weighed and lost than to have never weighed at all."

Absolutely superb, thanks for the laugh!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Put a weight on your scale to see if it is weighing correctly.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Mine also needs a therapist. It's obsessed with weight!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    moosey2011 wrote: »
    I've lost about 20lbs since the summer and my clothes have gotten progressively looser. I know I've lost weight because of my clothes and because of the scale, but sometimes I worry that the scale isn't accurate and that I haven't actually lost as much weight as I think I have. My reason for this is because since I'm almost at goal, I haven't been as strict in tracking and there are days I've gone over and even eaten 2000 cals, but somehow I still didn't gain weight? I'm just feeling confused and probably delusional.

Because you don't just up weight when you overeat here and there...that's not how your body works...

Also, who cares about "accurate"...the number isn't important, the trend is. Stop worrying about some arbitrary number that is made up of many things, not just fat.

No, I don't think my scale is "lying" to me...my scale is a simple tool that allows me to track my weight management trends over time...and it's only one of many tools so I don't put all of my stock into it.