Gained back some weight and it's making me think.

Options
I'm 26 now. In high school at 14 years oLd I remember stepping on the scale and reading 290 and being completely numb. I didn't care. I was too deep in depression. I was of course harassed all throughout school and it only made my depression and this eating worse. I felt I wasn't worth anything even love because of my weight.

Over the years I started picking up good habits and slowly shedding weight. It wasn't until at 21 I found this place and started counting calories that I finally shed the last 40 pounds. I was down to a healthy 143. (I"m 5"9) I thought I was finally good enough for people. Nope! I now got harassed for being too thin by family, friends, even strangers. If it wasn't that it was my loose skin. I"d lost 150 pounds so obviously I had some. People were downright cruel about it at times. I even heard rumours I got dumped for it. All that work and I still wasn't enough.

So now I've slowly let bad habits creep into my life again. Mostly eating out and drinking. As a result I'm back upto 175 and I'm back to struggling with my weight. This time I'm gonna let one thing change though. I'm not gonna listen to anyone's opinion on my body. I'm doing this as a lifestyle because I want to be healthy. That's my long rant I just wanted to put out there. You'll never please everyone so make yourself happy.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely want to stop listening to others. They don't know what they're talking about. The sooner you can learn that, the better off you'll be for life!
    My tip would be to just cut down on your portion size when eating out and drinking, you don't have to eliminate this completely. You can do this!
  • britkneemeyer
    britkneemeyer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I am so sorry people have been cruel to you. You don't deserve it -- not now, not when you were thinner, and not when you were 290 pounds. Your worth is never, ever determined by your weight. Your profile photo shows a beautiful person and your post shows intelligence and determination. Good luck on your path to better health.
    thank you ! It's taken me a long time to learn these lessons :)

• sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are in control of your life and get to make the right decisions for your body, no one else, not even anyone on these message boards. There are no right answers. There are mathematical "rules," like calories in calories out, but there's no such thing as a perfect journey. Good luck!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss .. people can be mean especially when young .. and I sometimes forget that some people have never been heavy so they really don't understand what we go thru ..

Good luck

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    People can be so crappy sometimes. They are too worried that seeing other people do what's right makes them feel bad about themselves. You have done an amazing job! Congrats on changing your life. If you need some encouragement or help, just let me know. I'm always happy to help out or give a high-five when needed :)
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You have acknowledged it, and that's the first step. Your beautiful, and like the other posters have said, your weight does not define that! Keep on keeping on. You'll get wherever you want to be.
    They are probably just jealous
  • britkneemeyer
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    This is a very interesting post. I would like to share my thoughts.

Congratulations on losing all that weight. That takes serious discipline and dedication.

When you are successful at something, it reminds people who are not successful of their own shortcomings. Crabs in a bucket. It is easier to drag you down then to rise to your level. I am curious to know if the people who said those unkind things to you where overweight. I am willing to bet they are. They are just jealous of your success.

You know you are gaining the weight back through bad habits, but you care about your health and body enough to change for the better. Good for you.

I wish you all the success in the world. Make some new friends too, while you are at (can't change the family, though).

Post here when you need support! Sending positive vibes your way.

Thank you so much for your response and support. It is true that misery loves company and a good deal of those people were overweight. Im so glad this forum exists and I'm sending those positive vibes straight back to you :)
  • britkneemeyer
    Options
    You have acknowledged it, and that's the first step. Your beautiful, and like the other posters have said, your weight does not define that! Keep on keeping on. You'll get wherever you want to be.
    They are probably just jealous
    Thank you ! I feel motivated by the self awareness and new perspective.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi girls, congratulation on the lost weight! You look stunning and have every right to find a healthy weight you feel confortable about. Please try to deattach from the point of view of others, they are not you, they have no right to judge.

I'm 123lbs at 5'10" and had for a long time many negative reflexions when I lost weight. I tried to explained that I felt way better like this and was in great health, I kept on justifying myself to others.

Today, I pay way less attention to cheap remarks. I know that I am healthy and this weight and I feel really good in my body. I wish to have others approval but ultimately I don't need it.

People allowing themself to critize and judge badly are often in a negative dynamics about their own choises. It is easier to point at you than than talking a look at themselves, their poor eating, lack of exercise or whatever they are uncomfortable about. Don't let their snide remarks take you down.

When people are truely well, they are way less critical about others.