WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,:flowerforyou:

Woke up very early for me o530. The dog woke me up to go outside:noway: :noway: I decided to just stay up. I was going to get up at 0730 to get my oldest to her first day of 10th grade!:drinker: :drinker:

I had some nice quiet time to sit and read most of the posts with a cup of coffee!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

A good source of protein- quinoa and greek yogurt. I am addicted to vanilla organic greek yogurt! :blushing: :blushing:

Quinoa is a grain that has all 7 essential amino acids, so its a complete protein! I fix it like a cold pasta salad. Add olive oil, lemon juice,red bell peppers,onions,cilantro, corn and black beans., salt,pepper.You can really can add what ever veggies you like and in the amounts you like! Some people eat it for breakfast, just like you would fix hot oatmeal or cream of wheat or grits!

Time to go and get my daughter up for school. Will check back in tonight after work. So much to comment on!:drinker: :drinker:

Have a blessed day, be in control of your choice's that you make today! Be loving and kind towards yourself!!:heart::heart:

Hugs, Linda SundanceB:drinker: :drinker: drink, log and move!!:tongue::tongue: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

I am up at the regular time but not sleeping very well at all, its hard when you see a friend losing her battle with cancer after fighting so hard to win.

Last night when I was prowling restlessly after dinner, eyeing the cabinet that holds all the chocolate chips I decided to call my friend to see if her sprained ankle was healed enough for an outing. When she answered I could tell she was eating, "Are you still eating supper?" I asked. "No," she said, "stuffing my face with chocolate chips." The very thing I was trying to avoid! lol!

We decided to give her ankle a test-run ....er... walk and went for a brisk half-hour walk of 2.5 kilometers. It was a perfect start, I had avoided the dangerous "dessert grazing hour" and we have decided to walk every night, gradually increasing the distance over the weeks. At last, a plan of action and a partner.

Linda Sundance- I like your quinoa salad idea, think I will give it a try for my own lunch. I have been introducing quinoa slowly to my fussy hubby by adding it in small amounts to the white rice. So far he hasn't noticed which is good (he doesn't like change or veggies). I actually grate certain veggies into our meals for a healthy content and he is none the wiser, if it is big enough to recognise, he picks it out...drives me crazy! Thank goodness I taught my son to eat everything. We have our 'Dad's at home' meals and when he is a way Dev and I experiment with seafood, east indian, thai, mexican, its so much fun.

Deedee - this may sound crazy but putting Vicks on the soles of your feet works for me!! I was desparate when I tried it as I also feel like my head will explode when I get a bad cold but with the Vicks on my feet I am usually over a cold in half the time, it seems to clear my lungs while I sleep.I put cotton socks on to protect the sheets.

Cindy - good luck in your job appllication.

Amanda - what a perfect day with your grandbabies.

Well, I must prepare for meeting with the HO rep today...... I am hoping that this person is reasonable. After I got over my anger I started to envision a productive meeting today hoping the universe would tune in and send her a message!

Enjoy your day,
    Choose happiness ♥,
    Kate
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lovely Tuesday,

Shawna- yep I'm a Broncos fan:bigsmile: High's Low's Good, Bad & Ugly I still support them and am hoping for a season that's not too bad, although they have a tough schedule so I will just be glad for a 500 season:ohwell: I love that you have prepared your meals for the week. I too do my breakfasts & lunches for the work week, it's those fly by the seat of my pants weekends that are the killers:blushing:

Faye- I understand not being in your comfort zone, lately so much of my life is way out of my comfort zone and that's one of the reasons I decided to come back to MFP this year as what I do with my body is the only thing I have control over because the rest of my world is totally out of control and way out of my comfort zone:ohwell:

Tigress- since hubby & I both love chicken wings that wouldn't work for us, I just have to plan way ahead so we can eat them. I used to buy the family pack of wings and then cut and separate them and BBQ them (when the boys were little) now I just buy the ones in the freezer bag and only pull out as many as I think we will eat...unfortunately I can eat a lot of them:blushing: I just don't have much self control when we have them so we don't get them often.

Kathy- hoping your toe is better today and that the iceing did the job. Good for you doing your chair exercises during your recovery:drinker:

jeanniebeanie- take it one day at a time and those #10 will come off:flowerforyou:

Liz- you do realize the motto in the military is "hurry up and wait" but I'm sure all those Vets know that...I know my boys sure do:wink: they spent plenty of time doing that during their years in the Army & Air Force now only Son #2 is still doing it, but since he's a Captain he's the one that sets a lot of the wheels in motion for those under his command and he tries not to have the guys waste too much time:happy:

Meg- how was the peaches & cream french toast:huh: it sounds wonderful.

Carolyn- so glad that your jazzercise class was full of "real" people, I think that's my pet pieve about weight loss ads is that they used people that are so fit looking:noway:

Lin- sounds like you have your platter full, glad you were able to get the farm renewal done with less stress than you thought it would be:flowerforyou: Getting in those 10,000 steps is quite an accomplishment, with my sit at my desk job I'm usually lucky to get in 2,800 steps during the day and that when I decided to file one piece of paper at a time and walk back and forth from my desk to the filing cabinets:noway:

Jen- loved hearing that your Mom inspects your garden and that it is now weeded and dead headed:drinker: My Mom was an inspector too but it wasn't a garden but my physical body that she used to inspect and she watched it for my whole life...I'll have to tell how she did that some time...but not enough time this am....so watch for a long post about my weight and my Mom in the future:wink:

DeeDee- how are you feeling, hope you are better today...and your Salmon experiment:huh: So I guess the Salmon is a super food for you too:drinker: I was unsure if it was just me or if I could offically call it a super food for losing...and I guess I can now at least for the two of us:bigsmile: anyone else giving Salmon the test:huh: For the cold my Mom used to say one cup of chicken broth every hour and I found it usually worked to get rid of the cold quickly:flowerforyou:

sandhillsmom-:drinker: great job on turning down all those goodies:drinker: and bringing your own lunch. FREE yoga classes that's awesome:flowerforyou:

Michele- your variety in your exercises inspires me:drinker: I find that I'm such a in the rut kind of person, I find something I like and do it until I don't like it any more...I know I really need to branch out:blushing:

gardengail- great work out:flowerforyou: glad that Salmon is working for you too:drinker: I know that when my boss asks me to leave the office for any reason I jump at the chance...anything to get away:wink:

Dar1356- I heard on the radio this morning's traffic report that the Boulder Turnpike (the road into Boulder) and the area surrounding the campus was extra busy as the students are able to start moving in today....I'm glad I don't have to travel that direction it can be quite the bottleneck:noway: You are sure to adjust to your "semi empty nest" in no time.:drinker:

Lila-good for you learning Dutch:flowerforyou: It gave me a smile when you said that you could understand quite a bit until they started talking a mile a minute...when Son #2 & DIL were living in Belgium when he was stationed in Belgium they thought that all the French that DIL took in college & high school would come in handy...well it did for somethings...their second week there my son got very ill and was in the local hospital (not the military one) and they only spoke French and DIL was on her own and all the French she'd learned didn't help her one bit to understand what was going on with our Son:grumble: ....now when they went shopping at the local open air markets they did fine:happy:

Barbie- your visits with your hubby while he is doing the house / pet sitting makes it sound like you are "dating":love:

mommie55- glad to hear you are drinking more water:drinker: it really does make a difference in our skin.

Amanda- aren't you glad that you have lost all that weight and are able to roll around on the ground with those grandtwins, you wouldn't have been able to do that before:happy:

Cindy - hope you get the job:flowerforyou:

LindaSundance- I miss having my boys at home and getting them up for school:heart: I don't miss the back to school nights :noway:

Kate- good job on fighting off those chocolate chips that were calling you:laugh: I find when I want to eat something I know I really shouldn't I get on MFP, read some topics and look up success stories that show peoples before & after pictures, it usually inspires me away from the food because I want to be a success at this too:bigsmile:

Had a great bike ride last night and on our way to the resevoir we saw three deer in a field about 3/4 mile from our house and two of them were hugh bucks with beautiful racks. On the bike ride saw another 10 deer it was perfect biking weather, not too hot and no wind.

Tomorrow is weigh in and I'm hoping that what the scale says this am is what I get to post tomorrow...keeping my fingers crossed.

Everyone have a great day, get up and get moving then log it, get some water and drink it then log it and if you eat it log it:drinker:
    This is how we are going to make this journey a success:flowerforyou:

Laura80111:smile:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! How is everyone doing today? I am frustrated and irritated, so I won’t rant and rave for you, but work is frustrating (new computer learning platform) and kids are driving me nuts. Too much for here though!

I have to work til 8:30 doing skills checkoff for the class I am helping with now. Clinicals start next week and that sure eats into my planning time for my course which starts in October. I brought a healthy lunch and plan to order Jimmy John’s for dinner. Psuedo-healthy! I’ll be under cals, but over on sodium. I can’t believe how much sodium is in bread!

Hubby made it ½ day at work yesterday and will do the same today. He was surprised how much his foot hurt after only 4 hours. He had it up on his computer the whole time, too.

Laura: sounds like you had some fun last night!

Shawna: we have been looking at food savers. Do you like yours? What brand is it?

Tigress: “big girl pants” I love it!!! What do you make your jewelry from/with? I love beads of all kinds. If you ever figure out how to upload photos, I’d love to see them!

Kathy: good that your toe is ok….even tho it hurts, it wasn’t injured.

Nancy: I’m jealous of your photo!!!!!!! I want I want!!! Welcome back.

Carolyn: good job on getting to the gym!

Lin: excellent job on that exercise! Keep it up!

Jan: don’t you just hate those meetings??? You can’t get any real work done! Good choice to take your own lunch and stick with it!

Michele: your phone is old???? Mine is ancient!!! I took it in once and everyone passed it around and laughed! I kept it BTW!

Liz: I’ll add the peach French toast recipe either tonight if I don’t keel over LOL or tomorrow for you! It was delish!

Well this is really short and I have missed probably half of you. I’ll send everyone good thoughts and write more tomorrow. Take care, Meg
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I hope you're all having a great Tuesday so far! I haven't had much time for reading as the wedding countdown continues, but I'm sitting in my office waiting for it to be time to go to the airport (and for a mortgage broker to call me back!). My 20 year old son spent the summer in the Middle East against our advice, and he is supposed to get home this afternoon. I'm really hoping that they let him get on the plane and that I'll see him coming out of the concourse. I've been really worried about him all summer.

I went quite a bit over on my calories yesterday, but luckily that doesn't happen too often. An old friend from Belgium was in town. We hadn't seen him for about 12 years, and we took him to Maggiano's for dinner. I spent a lot of time on their website trying to plan something I could eat, but it was an impossible task as almost everything was listed as 1000-2000 calories just for the entree. I skipped my favorite pasta (listed as 2000 calories -- yikes!) and ordered the grilled salmon (still listed as 930 calories). Also ate two stuffed mushrooms and a piece of plain bread. I wasn't happy with myself, but was reacting to a very stressful day and just gave in. Back on track so far today! Our friend, naturally, brought us a box of Belgian chocolates. I put those into the freezer unopened.

Here's wishing you all a positive eating day!
  • ShawnaElston
    ShawnaElston Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone! Hope your day is going well. I was a bit nervous about this soup I made this weekend. I determined to use whatever was at Pumpkin Hill, my local produce farm. I ended up with cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, chicken stock, curry and coconut milk. It actually turned out great and is very lo cal as well as filling. Thank goodness!

~Faye - Nice to meet you...looking forward to knowing you better.

~Tigress - My main focus with jewelry is recycling. I use silverware, plastic, glass, clothing, paper, wire, whatever I find. I go to the Salvation Army (a good cause) and find so many pieces which I can take apart and recycle as well. I love to make bracelets and earrings. What is your specialty?

~Kathy - Good to hear you didn't have to go to Dr. and fabulous that you still got some exercise in. I don't know if I would have done so in your shoes... no pun intended.

~Jeannie - Mondays are NOT my strong point. Yesterday I told someone that Monday mornings and Friday afternoons should be holidays.

~Nancy - Wow you have a busy schedule. Love the pic, it looks like a great way to spend the summer.

~Laura - I just read an article this morning on Yahoo regarding salmon. The Omega 3 Fatty acids switch on enzymes which trigger fat burning in cells. They also contain Vitamin D which is another trigger. I'm definitely stopping at the store. I grew up in Rifle, CO...so I know what you mean by thick and thin, for better and worse. Do I ever! Good luck with weigh in.

~Liz - Sounds like you are good at organizing...Hope you week goes well.

~Meg - Subway is a good choice. They do offer so many possibilities for those of us trying to lose weight and/or be careful. We do have the Food Saver brand with the Jar attachment. You can get one for large mouth and small mouth jars as well as marinating jars. I use it every day. If you get one, I have a few hints for you.

~Carolyn - I loved your last statement on your post. "Whatever your fitness level is, the goal is to get heart healthy."

~Lin - Happy for you and your lease! Your relief is so apparent...You are doing great with your weight loss and WTG with the exercise. I'm jealous of your Trader Joe's. I love it...

~Jen - The paragraph about your mother, the master gardener, made me laugh. I have the same thing, only it is my home. My mother is a stickler...and me, it is neat and tidy, but you probably should not try eating off the floor.

~DeeDee - Hope your cold gets better...and another salmon person. I am definitely going there.

~Sandhillsmom - Good job at skipping the sweets...holy cow, they were testing you! Great news about the yoga...and free at that!

~Michele - I make alot of candy around the holidays. 236 deg is around the "soft ball" stage. Have a glass ready with cold water, I use a glass measuring cup. Set it next to the pan and every few minutes, dip a teaspoon in your pan and let it drip into the cold water. If you can pick it up and make a "soft ball" from it, it is ready. The ball will collapse after a moment..

~Gardengal - Yet another salmon fan....

~DAR1356 - Good thoughts your way! You are doing a great thing by being host parents and giving other children opportunities!

~Lila - The end of this month is the Blue Moon...that brings out all kinds of craziness!

~Barbie - Your loss is amazing. I have to look up Isagenix now...

~Mommie - Good job with the water!

~Amanda - Wow, you are such an inspiration with your loss! Thank you! My grandson (18 months) loves to fingerpaint...just recently discovered he can also paint with his face. Hilarious!

~Cindy - Good luck with the position. I applaud you for your work as a caregiver and all the teachers in here, as well. Not easy jobs...

~LindaSundanceB - I love quinoa...I mix it with spinach and egg beaters in the morning sometimes. Yum

~June - Definitely remembering the Vicks idea should the need arise. Sorry about your loss and hope you will find comfort in some way...

~Janehadji - Good thoughts for your son's safe arrival. I do the same thing with looking up websites and planning what I can eat when we dine out. Good job with freezing the chocolates!

Well, I better get back to work. Thanks for being so inspirational, everyone. I've only been here since the first of June...but this is the place for me!

TTFN
  • mommie55
    mommie55 Posts: 23
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies :flowerforyou:
    Tuesday already Wow where does the time go.
    I slept very soundly last night....I got a full 8 hrs!! Yea!!! I guess that article on sleep deprivation really hit home with me.......I had been averaging 4 hrs a night and run run run for the children.....with a son in afghanistan I am taking care of my 3 youngest grands till he gets home :happy: trying to help them save the daycare money so they can buy a house. But after reading that article and learning that sleep deprivation can cause weight gain and a much slower metabolism, I am trying to get at least 7 a night and so far, so good !!:smile:

Dee I had read an article in Women's First magazine that said the vicks on the soles of your feet sometimes cures a cold over night...I take airbourne at the 1st sign of a cold for me and do the neti pot thing and the hottest bath I can stand ( the bath trick came from my Dr., he told me at the first sign of a cold to crawl into a really hot tub of water, as hot as I could stand, he said that it raises the body temp and kills the virus before it can take hold.) It must work as I have been cold free for quite a few yrs! Knock on wood!! :laugh:

I keep reading your posts about salmon and how great it is!!.......Question.....is there anyway to make it not taste like salmon???? I just don't care for it....If I could disguise it maybe I could eat it.....HELP!!!

Salomesalone ...your soup sounds yum!! I think I will try to make some :happy:

Jane....one day off really does not hurt that bad......as long as you are back on track....GREAT!!...Prayers headed your way for your son's safe return!

I wish I could answer all but am short for time....:ohwell:
    I am off to start my day
    Thanks for the encouragement !!
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Been reading the posts, but didn't take time to reply. You are all so very busy.

Crazy weekend for us, a wedding and combined birthday party for the grand kids. Got into some trouble with sugar...but fortunately am back on track with that. Took a test ride on DIL's bike and I think I will buy it from them. Who knew a bike could be so complicated? Shifters on both handles? Since I don't plan on too many hill climbs, I think I'll just pick a gear or two and stick with them. They have a helmet for me too which is required in my family. My older son was in a cycle racing accident on July 4th. Flew over the handle bars when the guy in front of him went down. Jeremy cracked his helmet in 3 places and was knocked out for a few minutes. Ended up with a concussion and some good bruising, but nothing permanent PTL!

Struggling a little with my food. Can't seem to get in a good groove or settle on a plan.

I'll blame it on stress today. Had a phone interview today for a job I am very qualified to do, not too far from my house. Unfortunately it would mean a $5,000 cut in pay over what I had been making before my position was eliminated. A sticky wicket. Is it better to have a lower paying job with benefits or keep looking? They are afraid that's what would happen. The recruiter is going to see if they have any room to work with. So I'm bummed. I just want a decent, reliable job with benefits. I'm in line for a contract job that would pay well, no benefits, but it's only a mile from my house. They've put the project on hold tho, so I'm in limbo there too. Just feel like my whole life is stuck in a holding pattern right now.

So I think I'll head out to the grocery tonight and stock up on what I should be eating and they go for a nice long ride on my exercise bike to try to work off some of this frustration.

I should really stop and make a list of my blessings. There are many. For one, my health is pretty darn good. One of the girls at my temp job found out last week, on her birthday, that she has breast cancer. In the overall scope, I have nothing to complain about.

So, I'm done whining. I'll be better tomorrow.

Gini
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Hello to my MFP friends,

I'm back from the long weekend at Graeagle. It's in the mountains of Northern California and absolutely beautiful. The weather was pretty nice - a little hot on occasion but still a relief from the temps at home, particularly as the A/C is not working on my car! BTW, Meg, I live in Placerville, which is an hour or so west of South Lake Tahoe, if that gives you an idea. We seem to be past the blistering temps. Phew!

My two DGDs gave me great hugs and kisses when I got home. They're pretty wonderful. :smooched: There really is nothing nicer than being a grandma, especially when the grandkids are little. Olivia and Kate are 8 and 6, so still in the "little" category. They are growing so fast though.

The craft fair was fun. A good excuse to get out in the sunshine. The best thing I got was a nifty little BBQ tool. It comes from a company called SidewinderBBQ (.com) and makes it easy to flip meat or veggies over. We got one for my BIL and I got two - one for my son-in-law and one for myself! The design is simple but cool. The owner was there and taught us a neat trick. After you clean the bigger pieces off the grill (which you can do with the Sidewinder), rub the face of an onion that's been sliced in half over the grill. It polishes the grill and acts like Teflon. You can tell I was sold on the product! The size I got was $15, so I could splurge without really splurging.

Barbie, thanks for the tip about the ticker. I knew you could edit your weight but I felt funny about it because I lost the weight over such a long time. I think I'll give my weight a couple of days to settle down after a weekend of not tracking and eating too much of the wrong things. Then I'll enter my starting weight from my high in 2001 and my real weight from now. That way I can be an honest woman and still feel pretty good about what I've done. :happy:

Linda, a belated happy birthday to you. You gave yourself a nice present by eating sensibly on your birthday. Hurray for you! :flowerforyou:

BTW, re Quinoa...I used the restroom at Trader Joe's recently (TMI, I know!) and they, in their usual great marketing style, had giant flowers with long stems painted on the wall. The stems consisted of writing. You had to twist your head around to read it all. One of the stems said Quinoa is a high-protein seed, not a grain. Who knew?! One tip re Quinoa: rinse it well before using. It has a coating of natural saponins. That's soap! I can tell you from personal experience that it can taste soapy if not rinsed well enough. :bigsmile:

I only skimmed the posts but didn't see one from Dixie. I've been thinking about her and her husband. :heart:

Esther, you've made a wise turn. I have the hardest time losing weight or sticking to an eating plan when I'm beating myself up (verbally). In fact, I usually go in the wrong direction. The more I beat myself up the more I eat. It is darned hard to turn it around but it makes a big difference. The single most effective thing for me is to log my food. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress. You've lost 10 lbs. Imagine the difference that makes in how you look - and, even more important, how you feel!

Butter vs margarine? I say "butter" for sure. But don't forget good oils like olive oil (for low temp use) and avocado oil (works well in high temps).

The weekend with family gave me some good insight into the way we eat when we're vacationing.

First, some background...We (3 of my siblings, their spouses, and my folks) all brought yummy but rich food. I did it myself - bringing an egg casserole full of butter and cheese (artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and basil too! it was yummy!) I normally would have added bacon but didn't because red meat seems to make my sister's rheumatoid arthritis worse.

My brother, who does a lot of spear-fishing, made tacos from fish he'd caught. He fried the tortillas and coated and deep-friend the fish. The fish was delicious but all that oil.

There were also lots of cheeses and dips to snack on and wine to drink.

My insight? I and others were careful not to bring food we knew could be bad for my sister's RA. But we hadn't given any thought to making the food as healthy as others of us needed it to be. I've struggled with my weight for a long time. I sure didn't need to be faced with all the rich and/or greasy food. Two or three other people in my family want to be careful about what they're eating. But we all took the brakes off for the weekend.

My sister's RA will, I think, be the impetus for healthier and more conscious food selection for family gatherings. It's sad that it had to take a disease to get our attention but I'm happy to think that it will be possible to both enjoy family get-togethers and eat healthily. As many of you know, I've struggled with this. I know it works for Barbie to not eat when she's out but I wanted to be able to eat when I went out or to family gatherings and stay on track at the same time.

My sister, Peggy, sees a rheumatologist today for the first time since she was diagnosed. She expects the doc will advise a Mediterranean diet - lots of veggies and fruits...perfect for everyone!

BTW, here's what Mayo Clinic says is included in a Mediterranean diet:

Getting plenty of exercise
    Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
    Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil
    Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
    Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
    Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
    Drinking red wine in moderation (optional)

Sounds good, huh?

I miss the mountains (we've got our own but they're not quite as beautiful!) but it's good to be back.

:heart:

Mimi SVQ
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop by and say hi! Read all of your posts, but if I reply now I'll never get my exercise in. Just know my thoughts and best wishes are with all of you! Started the day day off poorly! Hubby accidentally bumped my foot while taping the glove on so I could shower. Actually didn't think to much of it at the time, but this morning both the toe with the pin and big toe were quite painful!:frown: Between that and a killer headache that followed, I was back in bed by 11 and didn't really start my day until a little while ago. Good new is - headache is practically gone, toe is tolerable, had a delicious homemade salad for lunch and I'm ready to exercise!:happy: Bad new is - not sure why I'm not happier about already losing 15 lbs.:ohwell: I do have more energy even though I know I have quite a ways to go, maybe it's just because I'm still so immobile.

You all inspire me to strive to be healthier! Here's a toast to all you wonderful women!:drinker:

Thanks for being here,

Kathy
  • jjdig
    jjdig Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Is it Tuesday already? I just decided to look at my weigh-ins over the past week. My weight seems to be in a +/- of 5 pounds FOREVER. And this menopause thing -- argh, I can't say that I feel sane most of the time, nor that my brain even functions any more.
    Kathy, what happened to your foot? I hope you are recovering - it sounds like surgery with a "pin" involved. OUCH! I've been doing physical therapy because my achilles/fasciitis are aching - nothing near what it sounds like you're going through. I am amazed how we're not aware of how important our feet are (at least I wasn't) - until problems came up.
    Quinoa -- have you guys tried the Trader Joe's concoction -- it involves: an amount of quinoa (I think I used 1-2 cups), their lentil beans (that are cooked and in the refrigerated section), a container of their bruschetta, a container of their feta cheese, and a few turns from the African Smoke spice that they sell. (cook the quinoa first). And add a little finely chopped red onion for crunch.
    Really good stuff and super fast once the quinoa is cooked....
    :)
    Happy Tuesday, all. I work with computers and >1 RAID is failing so I'm ickily busy. But one big plus with computer jobs (other than all the nerds we work with) is the AIR CONDITIONING! :) (at least, when you're having a hot flash!!)! ;)
    Glad to meet you all....
    Judy
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies!

I am a bit tired tonight; lots of work to get done in a short amount of time. I usually bring the paper work home to do but so far I am rebelling against it. I know it is an inevitability but I will hold off as long as I can....

Great job to all:

jogging for 10 minutes
    making good food choices
    working in the garden
    not smoking
    riding a bike
    being a caregiver
    being there for a dying friend
    painting with grandchildren
    adjusting to an empty nest
    making jewelry
    taking time for exercise
    applying for new opportunities
    caring for others

being yourself and loving life!

For those struggling, know we are with you......

Carolyn
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello all I had so planned to start back on this thread and get caught up with you all but life happened and I just have not had time I am sorry it will take me a month of Sundays to catch up so I am just going to jump back in and do my best to catch up with all of you as we go forward. I hope you are all doing well I turn 50 tomorrow and to be honest I am looking forward to it, it is a right of passage for me I have given all my life to others and I intend to still do that but I am also going to give to myself and my goals and dreams. For starters I booked a wonderful beach house for this weekend and all my kids and grandkids are coming and we are going to play and relax and enjoy each other and they are going to spoil me this weekend I cant wait. I have pledged this year as my year to take care of me and I am going to do just that I am first on my list of things to do and getting my health back on track is priority # 1 Thanks for all the support I have found here and thanks for the patience to accept me into your group. This is such a blessing for me to be able to connect with others who are working on themselves and who are so positve Thanks again for letting me carry on. Have a wonderful day
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    @fitz here's an early happy birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday surrounded by family including all your babies and friends God bless.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    @fitz here's an early happy birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday surrounded by family including all your babies and friends God bless.

ME TOO!!! Happy Birthday @fitz.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lin
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yipee, Yipee, Micki reached 50, pounds lost that is. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It has been a struggle. I've been going up and down the same 2-3 lbs. for almost a month and of course it's always up on MFP logging days. :huh: Hopefully, it will still be gone tomorrow. :laugh: :laugh:

I just had to share my good news. I'll read today's posts later.

I got a call from my sister in Ohio this morning. She was at work and thought she was having a heart attack. She was waiting on an ambulance to take her to the hospital. I've been told they don't think it was her heart but just anxiety and want her to see a cardiologist for a stress test. She's been through a lot in the last couple of years. She moved in with mom & dad (and actually bought the house from them) when her marriage broke up. Mom died in Jan. 2010 and dad in Oct. 2011. Yesterday would have been their 66th anniversary, dad fell and broke a hip a year ago yesterday, mom's birthday would have been this coming Sunday and she broke off an engagement last year. She's faced with trying to go through all of dad STUFF and sees the memories everyday. She needs to be healthy since she is traveling with hubby & me in October. Please keep her is your prayers.

I have to check in with her tonight so I'll say goodnight for tonight, friends.

Sorry for being so long winded tonight

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I think that made a big difference for me.

Micki
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been reading all the posts and they really keep my motivated.

My daughter registered us for the Disney marathon in February. I have never been a runner but I will give it a shot. I started my training today and I couldn't believe it was 91 degrees. I thought it was suppose to be cooler today. My girlfriend is helping me train as she has run marathons. Today we walked at a fast pace for three miles. Next time we will walk fast and add some running. If any of you have any suggestions on how to train for this I am open for suggestions. I never thought at 61 years old I would start to run. Getting healthy has sure changed my mind set. I need to get dinner so I will sign off for now.

Mommie55-great job getting more water into your daily routine. I agree that is does make a huge difference in how you will feel.

Amanda x -sounds like you had a lot of fun with the twins. Movement is movement and what a fun way to get it in to your day.

DeeDee-hope you feel better soon. I love the salmon tip also. It seems to be working for me also. I have my dr. appt. next week so I am going to have salmon a couple of times between now and then.

Linda-Sundance-I love Quinoa. I used the recipe on the box for stuffed peppers. It was so good. I use it everywhere I would use rice. I had never thought of having it for breakfast. I will have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cindy-lots of good wishes being sent for your job application.

Kate-I understand your feelings and emotions regarding your friend and her cancer. It is tough as I have been through that. I still think of my girlfriend often especially every time I garden as we lived across the street from each other and would often help each other in our gardens.

Laura-what a joy to see the deer with the racks. You must have a wonderful place to ride you bike.

Debbie D.-Comfortableme
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    To Micki - WOOT!! Congratulations on the 50 milestone. Wonderful!!:smile::smile:

Lin
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Lin
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Micki - congrats on the "50" milestone!

Jo3y20 - so sorry to hear about your sister. I had a similar occurrence going through old pictures a couple months prior to going in to a major depression. Mind/body connections are a mystery, but are very real. Prayers for her.

Headed for a swim with my darling hubby, but just wanted to share my NSV (despite the scale being very S-L-O-W to move). I'd not been able to wear the ring guards hubby gave me for our 5th anniversary for almost a year, now, and for several months this spring I couldn't even wear my wedding rings with my thyroid-caused weight gain. (We've been married 31 years, and I've never had them re-sized, never had them off.) That last was pretty much what set this weight loss goal in motion. Got the wedding rings back on a month or so ago, and just two days ago found I was able to wear the the guards again! Feels soooo good to have my rings back where they belong! :)