WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• chrisssve
    chrisssve Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am new to mfp, but since I turned 60 this year and can relate to many many of the posts I have read here, I may just plunk myself into this topic for a time. Happy that I found it!
    August is almost half over, but my goals so far this month are to:
    track my food in my food diary
    walk 2 or more miles (in exercise mode!) every day
    bike 5 or more miles every day
    I'm looking forward to reading more at this topic!
    Chris
  • joanie511
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I just joined today!! YAY!! I completed my first goal: Just Join..
    I am 54 and health is my movitator!! I have high blood pressure along with painful knees and feet.
    August Goals are: Staying with in my correct caloric range daily
    Walking at least 3x a week..30min
    Drink 10 glasses of water daily
    BE CONSISTENT!!!
    Thanks for sharing your lifes here and sharing words of encouragement!! We all need those words!!::flowerforyou:

Keep up the Good Work caring for yourselves Today and the days ahead...Be Well...
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Well, knew it was gonna happen sooner or later, managed to bump my foot (one week out of surgery):frown: Luckily didn't hit the toe headon! Will be elevating most of the day today! Hubby was awesome and helped do chores yesterday around the house that I can't do, even after working half the day!

Jane-Glad you like your new place!

Barbie-26,000-steps wow!

Kate-Love your post!

Lin-I can definitely relate-I overthink things as well-sometimes gets me into trouble!

It's wonderful that more people are joining in everyday-welcome!

Enjoy the day!

Kathy
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all! It is a beautiful day here. I had all intentions of going to church with the kids but didn’t sleep well last night and didn’t want to leave clumsy dh alone LOL. His crutches are metal, and the click when he uses them, so it’s like being in a bad horror movie….click/thump…..click/thump…like you can hear the bad guy coming for 10 minutes before he shows up! He has bashed the animals a few times (by mistake) but now they hear click/thump and flee! :laugh:

Laura: Where does it say how many posts there are to the thread? STILL waiting for that baby! OMG I bet DIL is miserable! My daughter was going to be in marching band and I was really looking forward to it until I saw the schedule. OMG no way. Most practices were at 7, which means picking her up from school, taking her home, eating, going back, and going back again to get her when done. We don’t live in the school district they go to so that was a ton of driving. Plus all the weekend activities…something nearly every weekend and mostly they were until midnight or so. So we had to pull her out; there was no way we could do all that driving! So good for you and all the other band moms/dads. :wink:

Lorarock: good plan! Some days/weeks are just like that and all you can do is regroup, make a new plan, and start again. Be gentle with yourself! :flowerforyou:

Bluaaagirl: I too am in a biggest loser competition at work. We have had some amazing results. As a group we have lost 1 ½ people in weight! :happy:

Alwaysnancy: your walk/run sounds great. I’m so sorry about your friend’s news. I hope things go well for her. :flowerforyou:

Tsjourney: I hope you find peace in the stillness in your house.:flowerforyou:

Janemartin: glad your new place is nice!

Jb: such great words of advice!

Kate: you too are wise! I loved the poem and copied it down. I think I’ll make a cross stitch of it. Nothing is better than sitting in the garden (or just outside) listening to the wind and the birds and just being. I know I don’t take nearly enough time to just BE. :smile:

Michele: you are so busy I can’t believe it! Thanks for the recipe I can’t wait to try it. :drinker:

Liz: those Ah Hah moments are great, aren’t they? Good for you. It’s nice to see we can be healthy and not deprived and cranky!

Barbie: as always your weather makes me jealous!

To all the new people: Welcome and check in often!

Anyone else I missed: Stay focused and keep that positive attitude that makes such a difference here!
    :flowerforyou:

Well I need to get to work. Hopefully today I can get some garden sun and work outside some. Take care everyone and drink up! Meg
  • ctumbarello
    ctumbarello Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what thoughts are about measuring body fat. I know there are professional ways to get it done, but I don't have the time or the resources to pay to have it done professionally. Also, I would like to track the progress, so paying a lot to have it done does not seem like a good option. I measured it using the Covert Bailey method vs. the Military calculation and the difference was more than 10%. I don't know how there can be such a difference. Also, was considering buying a scale with body fat measurement. Any advice on this would be welcome. I think measuring progress is probably the best approach, but a 10% difference!
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies and I'm looking forward to joining your group. :smile:
    I loved reading all your positive posts and humour.

I joined myfitnesspal a couple of weeks ago just to check how different it was than caloriecounter and I have to admit that I like it much better so am switching over.

I am 60 (and just about to turn 61 in a month) and wanted to get thinner and fitter before the 60s really set in. Not to mention I want my daughters to have a positive example of life in the senior (ooo I hate that word) years as I lost my mother quite young and never had a senior role model to follow. I started out at 166, lost 18 pounds so far since mid-June. It's true, no diet will work unless the calories in are less than the calories out so I am an avid counter now. Had to move down a dress size, close to 2, am in that awkward stage where one size is too big and the smaller is still a bit tight, motivation to lose more:happy: :happy:

Well, time to go mow the lawn before it gets too hot out.

Looking forward to more of your posts..
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Forgot to put in the goals, need to so I am accountable for my results...
    1. to be active every day (other than walking the dogs which is a given)
    2. to avoid television as it causes me to be sedentary
    3. to eat regular meals, especially breakfast
    4. to lose 5 pounds by September 1
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, everyone. I got my walk in today. I did 3.25 miles in 52 mins. I did the hill twice, to my favorite song for the hill. Miss lunch at lunch time was out shopping, for more fresh veggies and fruit. I got some chicken breasts on sale and now I have to go cut them in half, and vaccum seal them. Stay true.
    Tigress
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Amanda:smile: I have pink toes and the new Chanel nail polish Vertigo on my fingernails. It's a dark dark gray, almost black, it's a bit edgy, but I really like it. I do keep my nails really short though, not sure what it would look like on long nails.
    Are you ready to have London back to normal???

Kate:smile: what wonderful words of wisdom!!! Thank you for sharing with us!!!

Tsjpurney:smile: hope today has been better for you!!!!! It takes awhile to get used to an empty nest:sad: .

Jane:smile: glad that move is positive!!!

Michele:smile: I keep everything in my purse too, everyone comes to me for Advil, aspirin, bandaids, etc.etc., I even have a magic wand my granddaughter gave me ( wish it worked for weight loss:laugh: ). I have packs of Starbucks instant decafe coffee too! Thanks for the recipe, I actually might try to make it, I just have to go to the store for the ingredients , all I have here are the eggs, salt and zucchini :laugh: .

Liz:smile: congrats for only eating half that sandwich!!!!!

Barbie:smile: 26,000 steps - WOW, I'm so impressed!!!! Your line dance competition is coming up soon isn't it?

Alwaysnancy:smile: so sorry to hear about your friend, I hope everything goes well for her!!!! Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight.

Wisdomeur:smile: welcome:flowerforyou: congrats for ending the pity party, I think we all attend one from time to time, as long as we never stay very long!!!

Connie:smile: yes, make that change, take care of yourself first, it's easier then to help take care of everyone else!

Trixiemou:smile: congrats for the weight that has come off, stick with it and more will follow!!!

dldrucker:smile: welcome:flowerforyou: . You joined just by posting!!!! Come back often and chat!!!

Lin:smile: glad you had a good encounter with the scale this morning:happy: . Sometimes mine tells little white lies:huh: , especially if I've had more sodium than usual. Now that I know that's what it is, I just laugh and tell it it's wrong (scary, I'm talking to my scales).

Chrisssve:smile: welcome:flowerforyou: come in often and chat!!!

Joanie511:smile: welcome:flowerforyou: taking that first step by joining is one of the most important!!!! Come in often!!!

Kathy:smile: ouch for your toe!!!!! Thank goodness it wasn't a toe on collision!!!!!! Feel better soon!!!

Meg:smile: oh you make me laugh:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , click/thump, click/thump. Hope your hubby feels better soon!!!!

Sasha4427:smile: welcome:flowerforyou: , come back often and chat with us!!!!

I had a wonderful time with the granddaughters:love: yesterday, we shopped for about 4 hours:noway: , I was exhausted!!!! The little one just wants to be all over me, and as much as I adore her, she is a handful!!!!! They got lots of new school clothes and shoes, the little one had to have sparkly pink "princess" tennis shoes that light up, and of course she had to wear them out of the store!!!! It was a good day and I slept so good last night!!!!

Hope you ladies have had a fabulous day, and will have a fabulous night!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: , log your food!!!!

If I missed anyon I'm sorry, I did read all the posts!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    Tigress:smile: you slipped in while I was typing!!!! Congrats on your walk!!!! Up and down the hill twice, good for you!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late setting my August goals, but appreciate this motivational thread for women over 50. I have been a dieter for most of my life. I have so many books and am a life time member at WW but still stuggle with my weight. MFP seems like it might be the best one yet. As long as I stay within my 1200 calories, I should lose weight! So far so good.
    My goals for the rest of the month are:

Drink at least 8 glasses each day.
    Stay within the 1200 calories a day.
    *Maybe even fast one day a week. How does everyone feel about that?
    Walk at least 3 times a week.
    Stop nibbling mindlessly!
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    OMG! What a difference a day makes! This has been the most awesome day, very productive. I feel like a HUGE burden has been lifted off my back. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the weight just started dropping off in no time now. I did not realize just how much stress was in my life until my oldest left for California. You know, it's true, until you are out of a toxic/abusive relationship, you never fully realize just how bad it was and how it affected everything in your life until it is no longer there. I feel like a new person. My house may be empty, but it is peaceful. Even the dog was bouncing around smiling :-). For the first time in years I didn't want to hibernate in my room avoiding conflict.

Just realized, how do you know when there are too many posts and another topic needs to be started??? I would really like to get to know you ladies and start commenting :-). I feel like the best years of my life are ahead of me now instead of just waiting for the grave!
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    To everyone,to find out how many posts so far, when you look under "my topics", it will show who started the thread which is Barbiecat, our fearless leader, beside that it will say " posts". I think this will be 495 or 496 at the bottom of the last post.500 will be instructions to click to continue topic.
    Hope that helps!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: DeeDee, mercifully, it's not a line dance competition but just a performance next Saturday but our leader keeps changing the line up of dances so I'm not sure what dances we'll be doing. We practice three days this week in addition to my three regular morning classes that are taught by a different instructor so the morning classes will be primarily different dances. When I retired I told everyone that I was going to spend my retirement knitting and watching TV but just a few month into retirement I saw a mention of line dance classes and went to a beginner class and now I hardly ever sit and knit and watch TV.

:flowerforyou: today is our Isagenix cleanse day so there are no meals to prepare and a greater inclination to relax. Of course the dogs want to walk and I'm obsessed with the yard project so I've stayed busy and my friend is back from Texas and wanted to get together for a walk and talk.

:flowerforyou: it is so great to see so many participants on this thread......you are all welcome and even though I haven't been responding individually, I've read every word and taken everything to heart.

:flowerforyou: Jake will be house sitting until September 9 so we are taking it one day at a time.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I made it through the day without working out ! I took a nice 30 minute walk this morning and only did my usual yoga stretches this evening. So for the first time I went over on calories by about 100 and I'm not worrying about it. Tomorrow is gym day and I'll rack up there for sure.

Back is peaceful, rested and ready for a workout tomorrow. I'm ready to add time to my treadmill and try out some alternating speeds as well. Free weights routine and I'll be done!

Since we have had a few days of good rain tomorrow will also be gardening day.

I'm still smoke free 13 days and no urges. I have caught myself a few times reaching for them only to say well that is a habit I don't need anymore. Nice to recognize it as a habit more than a need and a habit that is dwindling into nothing quickly.

Happy Sunday evening to you all!

Jan
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for this support group. i am just getting started with this, and i hope and pray it really helps. i am dealing with some serious health issues that are, sadly, a result of my weight. i am hoping that i WILL get healthy this time around!
    thanks again,
    Janie
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Watching Extreme Makeover weight loss and counting my blessings that after many attempts at weight loss over the years, I finally took control of my life ten years ago. I'm on the final leg of this journey now and happy to have you all along for the ride.

Busy, but good weekend. Saturday morning Zumba class, then the farmers market. The olive oil and vinegar vendor I was looking for wasn't there tho and I didn't buy anything. Walked past the bakeries and barely flinched! Then to trader joe's then the bookstore to kill some time before my haircut. Read some of Chris Powell's "Choose to Lose" which is the plan I've decided to follow and then went back to the market to stock up on veggies. Sassy haircut and over 14,500 steps yesterday!

Today was church, Costco, Walmart, canning peppers with DL and bible study tonight. It was supposed to be a rest day! Didn't get all my steps in, but with the extra yesterday, I'm still good.

It's so good to see so many posting about their triumphs as well as trials. It so easy to give up when things get hard. The encouragement on this board is amazing!

Oh, my toe nails are bright green and my fingers are clear with a little sparkle at the moment. Unfortunately when I lost my job, I had to give up getting my nails done. I'd had acrylics for about 15 years and boy do u miss them!

Gini
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Liz - I have real tight hamstrings, and in the water I can stretch them much more than I can on land. I don't know that you can do MFP with the Wii, the Wii program is called My Fitness Coach.

Did the My Fitness Coach today for an hour. I was doing it more and more the way for me although following what she said to do. Like I might do things on the step whereas she does them on the floor. Also, I might do an extra (say turn step) and then just jump in and do what she's doing. I'm surprised at how much I was sweating and drinking water! Just wish the cooldown was more aerobic, at least at first. But oh well..... Good for you at Subway. What a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

I'm making a banana bread right now for Jessica to take to the funeral with her. I also took a chocolate zucchini bread out of the freezer. We'll probably send flowers and they've asked that donations be made to an animal shelter so we'll probably do that, too.

Yuk I KNEW that I'd post a gain. The Wii today said that I'd gained like 1lb. We ate at Golden Corral late last night. Even tho I had a big plate of veges, one piece of steamed tilapia, cantaloupe and strawberries for dessert and one very very small piece of fudge (I took the smallest piece they had and cut that in half), I still gained. Well, it's not my official register (I use the scale in the bathroom once/week), so I'm really not concerned.

alwaysnancy - I'm so sorry for your friend. Does she do a lot of exercising? I really believe that helps. Where I lived there was one lady who had breast cancer, as a matter of fact she was one of the first to test tamixofen (it wasn't even on the market yet). She taught aerobics 3x/week. Unfortunately, it did come back, but after 15 years. Another friend of mine has her own gym, she's constantly teaching pilates or aerobics. She had breast cancer, and even thru her chemo, she taught. The doctors were amazed!

wisdomeur - you've found a great place. Everyone here is so supportive, and the really nice thing is that we're all going or have gone or will go thru the same things and can relate.

dldrucker - you joined by posting! Now this will be under "my Topics"

Welcome Chris, joanie, sasha, janie

ctumbarello - Those scales that are supposed to give you your body fat sometimes can be very off. I'm not a fan of them. The most accurate measurement is hydrostatic. It's also the most expensive, I don't know of a place where you can have it done. I don't know if you're a member at a gym, but most gyms have caliphers. If you're not a member, my son got me a pair on Amazon, Accu-Measure. I'm surprised at how accurate they are! I have my body fat taken at the gym and they have the good caliphers, then I take it with my plastic Accu-Measure, and it's 99% of the time right on the money. I think they were only like $10.

yardtigress - what is you favorite song?

About that chocolate zucchini bread -- you really can't taste the zucchini. As a matter of fact, one time I accidentally put the zucchini in the food processor and processed it so fine you couldn't even see it. I asked Vince to try my "chocolate bread" (he would NEVER have eaten it if he knew there was zucchini in it). He ate the whole thing!

tsjourney - so glad you feel so light. Things WILL get better, and I'm sure the weight will drop off now. You sound so happy, and you deserve to be.

Let's see, did an hour of aerobics on the My Fitness Coach today. Tomorrow I'll do some yoga and then the extremepump class. Before that I need to buy gas. After class I'll stop at the grocery store on the way home, Vince needs rye bread (I didn't realize he had so little), need to get ice for the water for the workers. The electrician is supposed to be here, don't know if any of the other workers are.

When I was at the farmer's market the other week, this one guy had these purple potatoes. I had no idea what they'd be like so a friend and I went in and she bought half the box, and I the other half. Actually, they didn't taste any different from a white potato. The only difference is that it had more antioxidents because of the darker color. Think I'll get more next week and see if I can get Vince to eat them. If not, I'll eat them.

Still working on that bookmark, am almost done. Next I want to work on a blanket for a friend of mine for christmas.

Jan - congrats on the 13 days! You're doing the absolute best thing for yourself and everyone else.

Gini - you call THAT a rest day???? I'd hate to see what you call a work day!

I'll give the rest of the pineapple angel food cake to the place where I take the extremepump class. At least it'll be out of my freezer (ready to make room for something more)

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Grandson #3 and Grandma Laura in my photo:bigsmile: ..arrived @ 9:57 am 7lbs 9oz 19" everyone healthy and fine....Grandsons #1 & #2 are asleep upstairs, we brought them home with us and we have played in the hot tub, played in the back yard, had ice cream cones and Muppets before bedtime...tomorrow will be another fun day.

Hope everyone had a great day.

Laura80111:smile:
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Jan- congrats on another day of being smoke free. You are doing a loving kind healthy habit for your body! :drinker:

Barbie, You seen to be coping well while your DH is house sitting. I must say that I enjoy the times my husband goes on a trip away for a few days. The entire house has less stress and it’s just us girls! :wink:

Tsjourney –I am glad that you will have the peace you deserve. Like I said above, it is nice to live stress free. Here’s to the best days of our lives!! :bigsmile:

walkermom58- welcome to this site. I have also done all the diets and bought all those diet books! I am no longer dieting. I have 110 lbs to lose, but I am eating healthy and doing MFP! This is a way of life and I eat everything. No food is off limits. This has taken all the “power” away from food calling to me! I eat healthy most of the time, but will eat other stuff once in awhile, as deprivation is something that always before made me binge eat….It made me a crazy deprived woman….I got eat blah, and blah, because it is OFF LIMITS for me. I feel at peace now and this place here with all the unconditional support from all the kind ladies has kept me going and accountable. Welcome, check in everyday. :heart:

Amanda- I don’t paint my nails, but my girls do. They do different colors on hands and feet. Sometimes it’s different on every nail! I think just about anything goes these days. :tongue:

Kate-
    I love this-
    I love this garden bench of mine
    for morning coffee, evening wine,
    To feel the sun upon my face,
    a gentle breeze, a state of grace.

Thank you for sharing. I have some weeds to pull this next week. I am going to be naming them before I pull them out. Thank you for the therapy tip! Lol :tongue:

Jane, I am so happy that you did move and you are in a better place. I have a feeling that your DIL will now come to know all that you did for her, and maybe she will appreciate what you did for her. :ohwell: :ohwell:

Michele- Thanks for the recipe, it has a good ratio of fat to calories. My zucchini plants are just getting big, is a few weeks we should have a ton of zucchini! I will have to make it and not tell my kids about the zucchini. They love squash, but not in cake! Lol I got the food poisoning from chicken. I made some chicken strips and for some reason they were taking forever to get to 180 degrees. The bread crumbs were turning brown. I only tried a small bit and that was enough to make me sick. I am addicted to organic greek vanilla yogurt, so I think having this good bacteria helped me, and I was sick for only 2 days. Thanks for the well wishes :happy: :happy:

Liz- hope all is well. We don’t go to subway very often, but eating only half of a sandwich is a hard thing for me to do! So, great thinking and caring for yourself, to save the other half! :drinker: :drinker:

AlwaysNancy, so how is that Canadian health care system? Do you like it? I have hear various comments about national health. It would be like a big HMO. I have a PPO , This is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. :smile:

Meg, maybe you should write comedy books. I got a good laugh about your DH and your description of his walking about. Hope you have good plans for your clinical day tomorrow. Plan, Plan and plan, because YOU are worth it! :laugh: :laugh:

Wisdomeur- congrats on taking charge of your health and starting to care for yourself at 30 lbs over a healthy weight. I didn’t have this loving moment until I was 126 lbs overweight! Good job! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

jo3y20- great job with the walking. We all have to start somewhere and you have done a really good thing for your overall health! :drinker:

Connie yes, make that change, take care of yourself first, it's easier then to help take care of everyone else first.:drinker: :bigsmile:

Kathyszoo- hope all is well. Drop back in and let us know what your up to these days! :smile:

Artemis- welcome, this is the best place to be everyday, check in, log your food and exercise. The ladies of this group will be here to support you and help you with this journey that we are all on! :happy: :happy:

Yardtigress – thank you for this -Dance in the kitchen, through the living room like you just don't care, I will do this and it will be fun!
    carojrrn- congrats on your weight loss. Small things in life can make one happy! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

DeeDee, I am so glad that you had fun shopping with your GD’s. I just did this with my daughters and I was so exhausted after this shopping event. The nice thing is the calories that we get to burn while being with those we love! I miss the days when my girls were little and into those little pink princess things! :smile: :wink:

Ctumbarello- nice to have your DH go for a walk with you, and the fruit before your walk- oh my so yummy! :bigsmile:

Lorarock, planning is a good thing to do. Cutting up veggies and just making a plan and sticking to it, will cut some of the chaos is half. You deserve to take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:

Blueaaagirl- this is the best blog to be a part of, just keep coming back every day and checking in. We are here for each other!:smile:

Tiarapants , I have a treadmill too. It is out in the garage as it didn’t look very nice in the living room, I like the term dreadmill better though! Lol :laugh: :laugh:

dldrucker,Chrisssye, Joanie51,Sasha4427- Welcome, this is the best blog, come back every day , share with us and log your food and exercise. Jump aboard the journey with all of us :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:

Lin, We have a scale that we can balance to zero. So, I usually balance it, step off , and if it isn’t back on zero then I re-adjust it and then will take the second weight. I am not talking to it though! Lol :blushing: :blushing:

Kathy- hope your toe is better. Nothing is worse if your toes or feet hurt! :mad: :mad:

Ok, ladies- tomorrow is weigh in day. :tongue: :tongue:
    Lets all have an awesome week caring for OURSELVES! :heart: :heart:
    Dink water, log your food and exercise, be kind to yourself this week! :drinker: :drinker:
    Hugs, Linda Sundance :flowerforyou: :heart: