WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I taught the morning line dance class today and it went great.....Jake came over and I fixed lunch for him then went to practice with group that will be dancing at the county fair....too busy to post .

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs to all
    Barbie from NW Washington where it has been sunny with temps in the low 70's
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Like you, I also have a son who is a Marine in Afghanistan. I don't hear much from him either, but no news is good news. I hope he's bored silly...that can only be good.
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oops. That post was for djhobbs. I don't know how this reply thing works yet.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies,
    I was catching up on everyone post and I reread the 1 i post yesterday lol wow was that hard to understand. It is what I get for using my cellphone. my 2 left thumbs get in the way. But it will half to do till I can afford a new laptop.

@Lin I am sorry to hear about your friend loosing her furry friend. We had to put down our doggy last year. It was so hard. My heart goes out to her.
    @Barbie I am jealous of your weather. Not so lucky here in Idaho.
    @DeeDee sounds like a fun day. Enjoy your time with your grandbabies.
    @exermom-- I like to buy extra eggs and hardboil those so we have them on hand too. They have jump up in cost.
    @rose congrats on your loss.

Looking forward to tomorrow. A friend invite me to meet her at the Y tomorrow morning as her guest she has a membership. So looking forward to it.

Everything is going ok, Glad it is friday.. Wishing everyone a good night.
    Take care and Thank you.
    Liz
  • trinasansone
    trinasansone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am 54 and hoping I can get some support here. I started out ok, but I am losing ground and starting to slide backwards. Im finding it very hard to keep up, if I gain a pound back I get frustrated and back to square one. Help
  • ctumbarello
    ctumbarello Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I can see how important it is to check in each day. It took me a couple of hours to read all the posts. I think I can get more out of this if I interact with others, so I will try to check in more often next week. I just started a new job in So. CA and I am trying to get used to the travel and staying in a hotel during the week. I live in No. CA, so I am a long way from home and my routine has been interrupted. It's time to get a new routine! I am 1.5 pounds up, but I suspect it is due to water weight, as I have been sticking with my calories. I have pants that are now loose and were skin tight one month ago. I haven't done baseline measurements, which I think I should do. Perhaps if I focus on something other than the scale I won't experience the ups and downs I have previously experienced based on the bouncing needle of my scale! I'm glad I'm not weighing only once a week, because I was originally up 3.5 pounds after the 3 days I was away from home; wtih a drop of 2 pounds the following day. Hopefully by Sun. I will have stabilized.

I have enjoyed all of your posts and look forward to words of wisdom from those of you who have lost alot so far.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    More a sluggish day for me today (forgot to take a key thyroid med this AM). Also didn’t get around to doing an official workout. Congrats on all you who’ve been more faithful with that today!

@ginib – thanks for the FitBit explanation. Have to look into that (maybe for the Christmas wishlist??)

@mommie55 – your cycling is impressive! I’m going to have to get my bike out and back into action again. Just as soon as the West Nile virus-carrying mosquitoes leave, and the thermometer gets below 105˚, lol.

@megblair1 – very fun hearing about your writing projects. You have to really know your stuff to write textbook material and tests that keep current with the licensure exam. I started out writing ‘serious’ stuff (devotionals, articles, poetry), but seems what I most enjoy now is writing humorous poetry (children’s themes for Highlights for Children and writerly themes for Writer’s Journal). The digression is likely due to the fact that I don’t write as much, now, so when I do it’s just for fun. And, the older I get, the more I need humor. ;)

@kathyszoo – glad your son is on the upswing, too! Yay for antibiotics. ☺ My daughter even got a ‘booster’ shot while at the doc's—it really helped her rebound fast. (A good thing, too, as she is holding a garage sale here tomorrow).

@LaurelFisher – how wonderful to get on the scale and see a 3-pound loss! Most I’ve seen in a week is 2 lbs. I’d be ecstatic, and posting little cheerleader smilies all over the place on here. ;)

@exermom – love LOVE Kohl’s. Always a sale, and usually a coupon, too! Glad you had some luck there today. I’m with you--the fun goes out of it if it isn’t a bargain. ;)

@Janie, trinasansone, and the other Newbies posting – welcome, and best of luck with your resolve this week!

Happy, safe weekend, all, and good luck with your goals. ☺
  • applewrm
    applewrm Posts: 15
    Options
    Your goals are wonderful. I'm glad to hear that if I'm moving, I'm losing. I went to Silver Sneakers here in town a few times and they say the same thing. It's about moving. I'm just retired and don't want to start getting fat. I notice my stomach is growing. This is bad. This site is excellent.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Just a quick check in, I have had the effects of food poisoning Not too bad, but just taking it easy today and staying with the BRAT diet- Bananas, Rice,Applesauce and Toast.
    :frown: :frown:
    Hopefully, this nausea will go away tomorrow. I got word that my pelvic ultra sound is normal! Yea.. When I had my bone density scan the tech said"your doctor knows about your scoliosis right?" I said no, I have never been told that, she said well your spine is curved, I said that is because I am fat, so I tried to straighten my back and she said it was better. I said it maybe because I have been limping for a long time? So, I cant wait to see what these results say! Wow, How is it that these medical people say these kind of things. I know as an R.N that only the Doctor may give results to patients. It is really sad how the medical field is going down hill! :grumble: :grumble:
    Anyway, welcome to all the new ladies, this is the best place to be, to keep on track and keep your progress in check.:drinker: :drinker:

I will be back tomorrow as I have a lot to say to everyone! hugs, Linda SundanceB :heart: :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend ladies and hello to all our newbies!

It's already warm here in London - but at least I got a seat on the tube coming in to work. I've got the door to the gallery wide open, but may have to give in and switch on the air con later when the sun starts pouring through the windows. My desk gets the full force of the sun from about midday and I get a little ... glowy!

My knee is twinging again this morning - think I overdid it a bit yesterday. Aside from my long walk, I also went on the dreaded treadmill and ran for a while. In fact I did a complete workout, including a half hour on my 'bean' (For those that don't know, it's one of these http://uk.mozys.com/The-Bean-Deluxe-Flex-10-The-Ultimate-Exerciser-p20022926/ I find it kinder on my back).

I have a client coming in soon, so I'd better get moving but will catch up with you all later my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just having my morning coffee and then hubby and I are going to head out for a run. Shooting for 5 but secretly hoping we can cover 7km's like we did last time we ran together. Last weekend was too hot to run so didn't get anything but short runs in at personal training. Hopefully haven't gone backwards but maybe the leg work the trainer had us do will help.

Going to town today to get my nails done and then we are heading over to visit our dear friend who has ALS. He spent most of July in the hospital after complications occurred when they put in a feeding tube. He has a prostethic heart valve and the blood thinners he normally takes cause the feeding tube site to bleed. His wife has had MS for years and is generally pretty healthy. I just wonder how such wonderful people ended up having to deal with all this. I'm so thankful for my health.

Last night my daugther told me a scary story. She had a rental car for two days to drive to Kitchener for some training. When she returned the car yesterday morning the Discount Rental Car where she got it was all taped off by the police. There was lots of blood. A landlord went to meet his tenant and the tenant attacked him with an axe. I looked for it in the Toronto news and it said that the same fellow killed his roommate with an axe 20 years ago. I think they deemed him mentally ill and put him in a facility and they aren't sure what happened after that.

Had some much needed rain yesterday and it's wonderful how quick things green up. Going to enjoy this weekend after a crazy busy but satisfying week at work. Brace up for next week where it may get busier. 8 working days until vacation!!!
  • RondaK1
    RondaK1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

First post here. My goal was to lose 200 (yes, two hundred) pounds and *with the help of a gastric bypass* I have come a long way but got sidetracked a bit. Problems with my ex were exacerbated by my weight loss (this is apparently a common thing unfortunately) then I was laid off, had a hard time finding another job, got a divorce, blah blah blah. For a significant stretch of time I went back to my bad "comfort eating" habits, even if I could only eat a tiny portion of what I used to... but it kept my weight loss from continuing, even if I didn't balloon back up.

So here I am with 45 more pounds to lose at 50 years old. It's time to get back to it and achieve what I promised myself I would do.

Perhaps I should have waited until AFTER the vacation my finance and I are starting Friday! :tongue: But no time like the present and my goal is to not GAIN anything at least!

Hoping you have a great day!

- Ariel
  • RondaK1
    RondaK1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    note to say.. I turned the big "51" 2 weeks ago.

I too had a gastric bypass in 1999. The day of the surgery, the hospital bed weighed me in @ 351lbs 3 mos before I had weighed around 300 lbs(so much for panic eating) I am so glad that you shared this because I was afraid to state here that I had had the surgery . I went down to 148 lbs and then back up to 218lbs .I too had gotten divorce. now remarried. and my weight went down to 148 again and when my mother died a year 1/2 ago I put weight back on ... so now on my way back down again. It is a struggle and if people didn't know that I had the surgery, they probably wouldn't know because it appear to be able to eat "normally." The surgery doesn't do it for you, As other people often think, it is just another tool. Good journey, Ronda..
  • Tammycbrooks
    Options
    Good morning. I am starting day one of my new life. I have 100 lbs. to loose but this time i intend to take it one lb at a time. My goals for this month are:
    1. Drink water and stop drinking so many diet sodas.
    2. Cook at home and stop eating out.
    3. Start walking.
    Could really use some friends to help me on my way.
  • Nikki_Nx
    Nikki_Nx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    August Resolutions:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    *100 Warrior III poses or squats a day
    *17,000 steps a day
    * finish the rock project in the yard
    *Act the way I want to feel
    *Come from a place of love
    *Don’t take things personally

Love your resolutions for August!
    Its a great idea to think up some resolutions.....hmmm, will have to think of my own now ;o)
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

It's a misty/rainy morning here in North Carolina! Temps are acceptable, rain is much needed and I got in a 20 minute walk before the rains started. The back is feeling much better and I have a date for the gym in an hour with friends. So I'm going to do some stretches and warm ups before heading out.

A quiet weekend planned of lessons plans and house clean up. I'm feeling good about my progress so far and not letting time be my enemy. It took time to get to this weight it' taking time to lose it.

Working together we make it happen!

Jan
  • lynty55
    lynty55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to this site, just 5 days into using it and am just beginning to find my way around. I am 57, 5' 2", and start weight was 272 lbs. Since using the site I have become more aware of what I'm putting in my mouth, and being able to put exercise down is spurring me on to do more - I've even brought my Wii out of hibernation!! It's really good to see that there are other women my age struggling with their weight, I am finding it really hard since going through the menopause. My energy levels have plummeted along with my motivation! Stopping smoking slowed down my metabolism as well which hasn't helped things weight wise. So I will keep checking in here and look forward to being able to post some positive results in a week or two! Watch this space.
    Lynne
  • Skinneychicno1
    Options
    I hear you. I have no thyroid problem, but have heart problems and recently joined the 50 club. Struggling to lose something. I seems like two years ago it was easier to lose weight and now its different. Even joined WW and still struggling. Maybe we can help each other
  • Skinneychicno1
    Options
    Just focus on everyday and if you screw up start a new the next day. Try to focus on the good things your doing eating fruits and vegs and exercising.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies:flowerforyou:

I don`t have a lot of time this morning, got to jump in the shower and get ready for the shopping with my girls.

Linda Sundance B:smile:, I hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: . Glad you`re ultra sound came back normal!!! The last time I had a bone density test they told me my results there. I feel very lucky, my bones are 10 years younger than my "real" age:happy: .

Amanda:smile: , take care of that knee!!!!

Alwaysnancy:smile: , enjoy your run this morning!!! Glad your daughter took the car back after that happened, it would have been horrible if she had been there while it was going on!!!! Just gives me the chills thinking about it!

To those that I`ve missed, I have read the posts and I`m thinking about you, will try to do some catching up later.
    Welcome to the newbies:flowerforyou: !!!

Have a fabulous day ladies!!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: , log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee