WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2012

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
1127168qo8basv9g8.gif

:flowerforyou: Welcome to the place for support and encouragement on your weight loss and fitness journey.

:flowerforyou: The title says Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: You can be part of this supportive family just by posting and returning regularly to join the discussions, ask your questions, and share what’s on your mind.

:flowerforyou: How have you done with the goals and resolutions you set for July?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you chosen for August?

:flowerforyou: It’s never too late to make positive changes in your life……never, never, never give up.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

August Resolutions:
*walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
*100 Warrior III poses or squats a day
*17,000 steps a day
* finish the rock project in the yard
*Act the way I want to feel
*Come from a place of love
*Don’t take things personally

Replies

• LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    Almost August, in about in about 25 minutes. I have been logging for for 35 days now! I can't believe it! I have lost 17 lbs in this journey of 5 weeks! I am very happy with this. I don't have any food off limits, and this has taken the power away from the food. :drinker: :drinker:

I have not really gotten into any exercise routine yet. Getting up late , and working from 4:45 to 8:45. Too dark after work and too hot during the day. School is starting for my girls the week of August 20th, so I will drop them off and go for a walk. I will be up and out so no excuses! I am hoping to met up with a girlfriend and walk with her. My exercise for the month of July was a few good walks,but mostly working around the house etc ,So it just goes to prove as Barbie says-"if your moving your losing!":bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Ok, so my goals for August!
    To plan and prepare dinner most nights of the week
    To include more veggies and fruit in the day, and less healthy snacky foods:happy: :happy:
    To exercise, by walking,,,,no matter what. at least 3- 4 days a week.
    To get more water in, until I am floating away!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    To continue on my weight loss journey with all of you wonderful supportive ladies!:drinker: :drinker:

Here's to a great August.
    Blessings, Linda SundanceB :heart: :heart:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 65 and post menopausala which slows doen my metabolism. My last weigh in I lot 1 1/2 pounds after 2 weeks.

My goals for August are

to be more active
    to eat back my exercise calories
    to eat more than 1200 calories
    to lose a pound a week
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies and a happy August to you all, especially Barbie - who starts this thread for us each month - thank you!

I've had my morning stomp and I'm now off to see my darling grandtwins, but will be back later.

Be good to yourselves.

Love to all
    Amanda xx
  • getninshape56
    getninshape56 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Here I go...again! 50 plus'er with ( controlled ) thyroid disease, metabolic syndrome and menopausal. Weighing the most I have ever weighed, I keep losing the same 5 pounds over and over again. Hoping the motivation here and accountability works in my favor. Trying not to give up!
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 53, my main goal this month is to get as much cycling in as I can, while it is still summer. Last month I got in 601 miles. The goal is to do at least that much this month. And to continue logging my food every day, and staying aware! The exercise thing is not a problem, I love to do that, but I still struggle with food once in awhile, even after going Plant Strong a year ago. I did drop 15lbs by going plant strong, and have kept that off, and feel better than ever. But I would like to take off another 5lbs. So I will keep on pedaling and keep on logging : ). I know the older we get the harder it gets, but just don't give up, start each day anew, don't look at the past or the future, just learn to live in the moment!
  • bigpal
    bigpal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    good morning my goal is to be more active i lead a busy life but still dont exercise like i need to on my job we sit alot which dont help with losing weight im going to be very busy in the next few weeks were moving back to my husbands home town boy do i hate all that packing and unpacking hope all has a good day and if any is sick hope u feel better soon til we meet again signed carol
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I'm 64, 5'1" and weigh in at 275 lbs right now - lost 44 lbs so far and a whole lot more to lose!! Hit a plateau and realise now that I need to exercise more, have started walking and will continue with that till I feel I can do more....its a good feeling to have support from people of a certain age!!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good beautiful morning ladies:flowerforyou:

Thank you Barbie:flowerforyou: for keeping us going!!!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , you have come to the right place for motivation and support!!!! Come in often and chat!!!!

I wish I had time to comment on everyone, however this is a busy week:grumble: , so I'll try to catch up more on the weekend!!!:bigsmile: I didn't get home last night until almost 11 pm:yawn: , long day, I started out at 5 am. Tonight shouldn't be quite as bad, I'm hoping to be home around 9 pm or so. I got my walk in this morning, I really didn't want to get up at silly o' clock ( I don't remember who said that:ohwell: , but I love it), but I did and I feel much better now.

My goals for August are:
    :smile: Walk at least 5 days a week
    :smile: Drink at least 10 glasses of water:drinker:
    :smile: Lose 5 lbs.
    :smile: Play more:happy:

Hope everyone has a most wonderful day!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: , log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee

Michele:smile: yay for the pool!!!!!!!:glasses: :happy:
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Happy August

Thanks, Barbiecat! This is great!

I am like getinshape-same 5 pounds on and off for ever, most i have ever weighed last week and thyroid (controlled).
    I need to lose 3-4 pounds to ACTUALLY get away from the same ole', same ole'. If I do not go down 3-4 more pounds, I am just fooling myself into believing that I am losing weight... or changing! Once I lose that, I will have to work even harder. It seems so hard for me to get away from the same number! up 2, down 3. Up 3, down 2. Unless I really work and work hard, I will play with the same weight over and over.

With that said, my REALISTIC goals for August:
    1- stick to my goals
    2- log in and log my calories. Stick to the 1500
    3- Exercise more
    4- take my vitamins
    5- keep cut up fruit and lettuce/veggies for salad at my finger tips
    6- actually lose weight!
    7- Stop being satisfied with doing nothing!!!
    8- evening snack-fruit and/or pop corn

Oh ya, and to be more positive and get out more : )
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,085 Member
    Options
    Good morning - Happy August 1st to all -

So happy to be here with you lovely ladies! Wishing everyone the best with their goals for August.

I believe for July I'd just wanted to log everyday, keeping eating as I'd been doing and to try to get activity 3 days a week. I met those goals and I know for those of you who've been here for a while, my goals look pretty small. :blushing:

For the month of August I want to continue what I have been doing but I want to try to get more activity. Five days a week. I'm sure gonna try.

The first time I weighed in after joining MFP was Cinco de Mayo---May 5th so I'll be hitting my 3 month anniversary here soon. Soooo glad to still be here and working it as hard as I can.

Back for more....:drinker: :drinker:

Lin
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just marking the spot. I will be back later. It is way too early but I have already been at work for half an hour ( I am in the PDT timezone)
  • shellyroseg
    shellyroseg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!
    I'm very new to MFP. I signed up in February but haven't done anything until now. Hoping to start something and finish it!!

For the month of August-- I would just like to be consistant with me efforts no matter what come alone. It seems like there is always something to throw me off. I need to learn to not completely fall off the wagon whenever the weekend comes along--Sad huh?? I take it as a key to do whatever I want and eat whatever I want.

I'm hoping this site will help me become the person I want to be!!
  • ArielMelton
    ArielMelton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

First post here. My goal was to lose 200 (yes, two hundred) pounds and *with the help of a gastric bypass* I have come a long way but got sidetracked a bit. Problems with my ex were exacerbated by my weight loss (this is apparently a common thing unfortunately) then I was laid off, had a hard time finding another job, got a divorce, blah blah blah. For a significant stretch of time I went back to my bad "comfort eating" habits, even if I could only eat a tiny portion of what I used to... but it kept my weight loss from continuing, even if I didn't balloon back up.

So here I am with 45 more pounds to lose at 50 years old. It's time to get back to it and achieve what I promised myself I would do.

Perhaps I should have waited until AFTER the vacation my finance and I are starting Friday! :tongue: But no time like the present and my goal is to not GAIN anything at least!

Hoping you have a great day!

- Ariel
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy August,

Can't believe how quick this year is going by! Thanks again to barbiecat for doing up this marvelous thread! I think being a part of this is making a big difference for me this time around as opposed to last time when I just logged food and had no support system!

Didn't do so with July goals so hopefully this month will be better. I'm having foot surgery tomorrow because of my hammertoe, so since I'll be in a boot for a month setting small goals for Aug.

Here goes-

Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily (can't seem to get past 6!)

Keep up with chair exercises

Make healthier snack choices-more veggies!

Lose 5 lbs

Prayers continue to go out to all of you - I know so many of you are facing health issues and limitations-believe me I can relate!

Kathy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's August already:noway:

Thanks once again Barbie for getting us going:drinker:

July goals :ohwell: some were met some weren't I figure I did the best I've ever done and maybe I set my goals too high so for August I will be more realistic.

August - Do some form of exercise 30 days and 20 of those days for it to be cardio
    Lose #2.5 (since I'm so close to the goal this may be hard)
    Log my food on the weekends:wink: since this seems to be the hardest thing for me to do.

Hope everyone has a great day. Let's get out and get moving, if you eat it log it and drink plenty of water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:

PS - Amanda you have a fun day with those grandtwins:flowerforyou:

We are still on baby watch grandson #3 is still "cooking":wink:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks!Barbie.Been so busy moving and helping friend move.
    Daughter`s procedure went well,thanks for the prayers.Home resting.
    My goals for aug is to sit with my food plan and exercise as tolerated.
    Happy Hump day to all!!
    HUGs jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!

Today is “orientation” at the high school, which is really getting pictures taken, getting your schedule, ordering yearbooks, etc. I really hate these school things. I guess that makes me a bad mom, but most of the time is spent in lines to order something. Even if you don’t want it, you have to stand in line and get that stamp on your sheet, so at the end, if you are all stamped up, you finally get your schedule. It was that way in middle school too. Bleh! :grumble: Afterwards though we (my 15 year old and I) will go out and get DH a birthday present and some bd plates and napkins for tomorrow. I’m planning on eating at subway. Hopefully we won’t be gone all day so I can get some work done.

My August goals:
    Drink 90 ounces of water daily
    Exercise 5 days a week, working up to going back to step class
    Lose 10 pounds

Laura: your drive sounds beautiful. I love to see deer and other wildlife. Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life. You are wise to realize you can only control you!

Amissci: I am with you about some of those other posters. I have read several threads that got locked by the system administrator because of the nastiness. I especially can’t get over people thinking everyone has to do things their way or they are stupid. This thread has always been positive and encouraging. Enjoy all that 20 year old exuberance!

Rachel: good to see you and come back when you can

Robin: easy to lose the motivation, I know. Be gentle with yourself and you’ll get back on track.

Hi Lin. Glad to see you too

Jen: hope you are feeling better today

Debbie: I too have not yet gotten all the names straight in my head with the stories. Hopefully as we are here more and more, it will get easier! The good thing is that there are so many wonderful women here!

Polly: hold your nose? LOL. :laugh: I like very cold water. I also like the crystal lite. I did read somewhere that decaf soda counts for mostly water, so maybe a diet pop could be a reward for drinking your real water. You aren’t supposed to drink a lot of it, but one a day or two can’t hurt, can it? I also like lemon or lime slices in my water. Other ideas anyone?

Muffintop: please do join us! You’ll be “official” one day soon! :laugh:

BigPal: maybe you can walk at work! Our "biggest loser" bunch at work walks at lunch. Some people only go once around the parking lot, while others go on looooong walks. Even once around the parking lot would help. :smile:

Linda : great goals! I agree with you; no food off limits because that does take power away from it. Good job on all the days logging in, too!

Barbie: Thanks so much for starting another thread and for keeping us all honest! :flowerforyou:

All the other newbies: welcome and I’m looking forward to getting to know you.
    Everyone else I missed: sorry I missed you!!!
    Well, time to get going here. Take care, Meg
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon and Happy August, My goal for July were
    :heart: Walk at lunch time instead of sitting in my office working while I eat. :bigsmile: (Almost succeeded)
    :heart: Drink 4 16 oz bottles of water every day. :smile: (easy one to achieve)
    :heart: Log my food every day :smile: (I did, I did)
    :heart: do Tae Bo 3 days a week, Leslie Sansone 3 days a week and ride the stationary bike 15 in the morning before I go to work :huh: (All but ride my bike)

August goals are to
    :drinker: Keep drinkin that water
    :smile: keep exercising every day one way or another
    :smile: and lose, lose, lose

:huh: Back to work

:heart: Love ((((HUGS)))) and prayers, Rose
  • Erthwalkur
    Erthwalkur Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am happy to join this group. Rather new to this fitness pal....started about a month ago. Love it.

August/Sept goals:

I just joined a Butt Bible Challenge (believe it or not...it is a workout DVD. I ordered it two days ago and should get it tomorrow. The challenge started on Monday...so I will be a few days late....but no worries here. It is a six week challenge,...working to see some MAJOR changes in my body. weeeeeeeeeee

P.S. my name is Jo
  • Peanutless
    Peanutless Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I turn 57in a week and have a few goals for this month.

Walk every day at least a little
    Don't drink alcohol M-TH
    Get up at 6 a.m.