New, Would like friends.

Options
Greetings Everyone! I'm 31 and a Mom of 2 (ages 9 and 4). Losing weight used to be something that was just a want. Now that I am constantly depressed over my weight and feeling very low about myself because of being big, it is now something that is needed! I gained a lot of weight after having my daughter. Every time that I am depressed/stressed, I tend to overeat badly. Exercise is not exactly something that I really favor, but I know that I need to do something in that category as well. I do not have access to a gym, or even gym related equipment =( Only thing I remotely have is a FitBit, which I have lately neglected and need to start using it again. Lately I have been reading a lot about Low Carb dieting. If anyone is doing it, I would absolutely love to get some more insight towards it. I have tried to count calories before, with no end insight whatsoever and eventually gave up! I do not have a support system that most individuals have. My family just seems to think I am fine, when really inside I am not and want this weight gone. I felt the most happy when I was in my teenage years and weight approximately 150lbs. Looking to make friends of all walks. Feel free to add me.

Replies

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent! I'm not doing low carb, but I count my calories carefully and find that it works great. Most of my exercise is just walking, but it really helps!
  • amara_84
    amara_84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    32, mom of a 4 year old. The impact of what I was doing hit when she saw a picture of me from 5 years ago and she asked why I used to be fat. I'm not doing low carb but I am switching my carbs out for healthier options. If you are are trying to eat healthy and please the family check out some of the recipes MFP has. I have gotten my girl to eat Brussel Sprouts. And request them because of these recipes.
  • kymberleykennedy
    kymberleykennedy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    adorkably wrote: »
    Greetings Everyone! I'm 31 and a Mom of 2 (ages 9 and 4). Losing weight used to be something that was just a want. Now that I am constantly depressed over my weight and feeling very low about myself because of being big, it is now something that is needed! I gained a lot of weight after having my daughter. Every time that I am depressed/stressed, I tend to overeat badly. Exercise is not exactly something that I really favor, but I know that I need to do something in that category as well. I do not have access to a gym, or even gym related equipment =( Only thing I remotely have is a FitBit, which I have lately neglected and need to start using it again. Lately I have been reading a lot about Low Carb dieting. If anyone is doing it, I would absolutely love to get some more insight towards it. I have tried to count calories before, with no end insight whatsoever and eventually gave up! I do not have a support system that most individuals have. My family just seems to think I am fine, when really inside I am not and want this weight gone. I felt the most happy when I was in my teenage years and weight approximately 150lbs. Looking to make friends of all walks. Feel free to add me.

Do you have a goal weight that you'd be happy with? I know you said you tried counting calories but I wondered if you'd used MFP to just scan things for you? I find it's really easy and I don't spend much time doing it either. I only mention it because once you know what your intake is, you can begin to understand if you are over eating often (not that you necessarily are) and can adjust things accordingly. You can lose weight without exercising. Having said that, just walking on the spot for 30 mins or outside can burn off calories. Every now and again I walk (brisk walk) 7 miles.

I recommend looking into having a calorie deficit first. I think with exercising it has to be something that you're happy to do and can fit in on a regular basis. With many of us, we have to find that first. The type of exercise that you do isn't a one size fits all sort of thing, if you know what I mean. It should be something that you enjoy doing. Hope this helps. :)
  • 4sugarfoot
    4sugarfoot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know how it feels. People always say 'why do you need to lose weight?' Probably because my doctor told me to and my health is getting worse. But it's really how you feel about yourself. We all want to feel our best no matter what number the scale says. I'll be glad to add you for encouragement and support. Weight loss is a hard and long battle.
  • adorkably
    adorkably Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you have a goal weight that you'd be happy with? I know you said you tried counting calories but I wondered if you'd used MFP to just scan things for you?

My short-term goal is to lose 5lbs at a time. I'm 5 foot and weight 250lbs, being my highest ever. My long-term goal is to be 130lbs. I have tried scanning before, I fell off track and quit doing it
  • kymberleykennedy
    kymberleykennedy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    adorkably wrote: »
    Do you have a goal weight that you'd be happy with? I know you said you tried counting calories but I wondered if you'd used MFP to just scan things for you?

My short-term goal is to lose 5lbs at a time. I'm 5 foot and weight 250lbs, being my highest ever. My long-term goal is to be 130lbs. I have tried scanning before, I fell off track and quit doing it

I reckon you can definitely do that. If you buy the same food products regularly, it's easier to track your food intake. Plus something like walking for a little every day can help shed pounds although you don't have to exercise to lose weight. It's up to you what you feel most comfortable with. The thought of counting or scanning calories, for me, seemed like a drag but once I got into the habit it's like second nature. I don't need to really think about it anymore and I typically know the calories in things without scanning anyway. I've lost a stone in the last 2 months just by finding exercises I like and can stick too and watching my calorie intake. I'm sure you can get down to your goal. Best of luck :)