Deadlift question.

We have fixed weight barbells at my gym. I've been using them to work up to weight plates. I deadlifted 90# tonight, but only twice. Should I do 90# again in a few days or drop to 80# for 5 reps?

Replies

• Zendrick
    Zendrick Posts: 83 Member
    I try to do 3 sets of 10 reps. . Your body will tell you if it's too light or too heavy.
  • Are you able to maintain a neutral spine (lumbar/thoracic AND cervical) through the entire range of motion?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    how many times can you do 90, are you struggling to get 1 rep? i would warmup to 90 again, then do some drop sets. next workout try warming up to 95 or 100, and then drop sets. thats what i'd do, but lots of people will have different approaches including getting on a program. but if you just wanna pull that 135 bar, thats easy enough if you are already doing 90.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    edited December 2016
    Are you able to maintain a neutral spine (lumbar/thoracic AND cervical) through the entire range of motion?

Yes I had someone watching me
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    brwelch1 wrote: »
    We have fixed weight barbells at my gym. I've been using them to work up to weight plates. I deadlifted 90# tonight, but only twice. Should I do 90# again in a few days or drop to 80# for 5 reps?

this is where having a programme of some kind can help, because it sets your conditions for adding more weight (usually a fixed number of sets and reps for starter programmes), and thus answers these questions for you. if you manage all the sets/reps prescribed you add weight. if you don't, then you repeat the workout at the same weight till you've either failed several times, or you've succeeded.

maybe look into the 'which lifting programme' thread in the sticky section.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Do these fixed weight barbells have big plates or the little ones ?

Because the big plates mean your starting position will be better
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Sued0nim wrote: »

They were small and I did notice my starting position was awkward. Ack
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »

They were small and I did notice my starting position was awkward. Ack

You can stack plates on the ground underneath your fixed barbell to reach the appropriate height. Same thing if you're not lifting a full plate yet.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    some gyms have those rubber floppy full size plates that start at 10lbs each, maybe your gym has those and you can put some of them on a full size bar?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    My suggestion is to get on an actual program that teaches you actual form and is designed around progression rather than just lifting randomly. The best advice you will get.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    jessef593 wrote: »
    My suggestion is to get on an actual program that teaches you actual form and is designed around progression rather than just lifting randomly. The best advice you will get.

I would agree, which can be found in the link below.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

For those choices though, I would do 90lbs again and aim for higher reps. You should always try to get stronger and add more volume.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Does your gym have bumper plates (the rubber looking plates). Those come in 10s, 25s, and 35s that are the same height as 45 iron plates, so you can pull the bar from the floor.

Are you doing 5x5? Honestly...when I was doing 5x5, I would "cheat" and sometimes move up in weight before I completed 5x5...if I knew I could. But if you only pulled 2, I'd back down and work on 80.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much, especially in the beginning.

First: by using the smaller fixed plates, you are essentially pulling a deficit deadlift, which is a more difficult movement, and you can likely conventional deadlift more than that amount. I actually trained deficit deads a lot a couple of years back to get me through a stall on my conventional. They also actually have good transfer to the squat, as deficit deads work the quads harder than conventionals.

Second: if next week you can pull another rep at 90, or bump the weight to say 100 and pull the same reps, you've gotten stronger either way. I personally never lower weight unless I am doing a reset to clear a stall, which does happen, but imo, a week, two weeks, or even a month isn't enough of a stall to warrant a reset, after the noob gains are cleared.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much, especially in the beginning.

First: by using the smaller fixed plates, you are essentially pulling a deficit deadlift, which is a more difficult movement, and you can likely conventional deadlift more than that amount. I actually trained deficit deads a lot a couple of years back to get me through a stall on my conventional. They also actually have good transfer to the squat, as deficit deads work the quads harder than conventionals.

Second: if next week you can pull another rep at 90, or bump the weight to say 100 and pull the same reps, you've gotten stronger either way. I personally never lower weight unless I am doing a reset to clear a stall, which does happen, but imo, a week, two weeks, or even a month isn't enough of a stall to warrant a reset, after the noob gains are cleared.

This was good info. I easily did 95# today for more than 1 rep. (With actual barbell)
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    For what it's worth... this thread starts with a video of me deadlifting with bad form and has a lot of great advice to avoid/stop making beginner mistakes. For me, it made me realize that my whole idea of what the lift was supposed to be doing was wrong (I kinda thought normal deadlifts were supposed to be more like Romanian deadlifts). I deadlift really differently now.

Might be worth a read to avoid the mistakes I made.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10470165/deadlift-form
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    mreichard wrote: »
    For what it's worth... this thread starts with a video of me deadlifting with bad form and has a lot of great advice to avoid/stop making beginner mistakes. For me, it made me realize that my whole idea of what the lift was supposed to be doing was wrong (I kinda thought normal deadlifts were supposed to be more like Romanian deadlifts). I deadlift really differently now.

Might be worth a read to avoid the mistakes I made.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10470165/deadlift-form

Thanks! I'm definitely not doing them like that. My form is pretty solid, I'll try to get a video
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    I suggest getting on a progressive lifting program. Check out 5,3,1. Works for me.