I'm strength training

Options
2»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When you set up MPF, you gave it a weight loss goal of .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 lbs per week. This will be reflected in a calorie deficit of 250, 500, 750 or 1000 calories per day. If you are over by 339, then ONLY if you have MFP set for .5 lb (250 cal deficit) are you actually over your maintenance and, if you did this every day, would it show as a weight gain.

As it is, 1 day over is not something to get upset about. Maybe focus more on how many calories you are over/under for the week. You want that difference (over or under) to be as small as possible. Try not to be under all the time (I know that's hard to accept). You want to be close to the calories MFP gives you.

Also, 45 minutes of strength training is not nothing. I've no clue what that translates into for calories, but it is something.

Log it and move on to tomorrow.
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ok perfect thank you! I hate going over and seeing it go over by 339 is killing me!

Thanks so much for your help!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Justme_1 wrote: »

What horrible formatting on the results. Can't read 1/2 of them and clicking on the Printable just give me an error.

Too bad as it looks like an interesting site.

Oh yes...bb.com ..it's an interesting site ...

That said there's some good articles and information in there...but I would never recommend a noob to go there ...not unless broscience is your mantra
  • jaysanchez4
    Options
    So just to be clear, I didn't gain any actual weight from going over by 350+ calories in ONE DAY did I?

I've been really doing well with this diet and this is the first time I went over in 6 weeks!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    So just to be clear, I didn't gain any actual weight from going over by 350+ calories in ONE DAY did I?

I've been really doing well with this diet and this is the first time I went over in 6 weeks!

Probably not.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I know MFP tends to overestimate on calories burned, but I've used what they give when I log strength as cardio (for me, a 5"2 female close to her goal weight, that's only about 120 calories for a 45 minute session and I push myself hard, so it feels to me like it should be way more). With logging this, and all my foods, and calculating burns from my runs using a formula someone suggested on here, I have been losing at exactly the rate in set to lose. I've done it for 5 months and it has remained consistent.

So my advice is, log your strength workout under cardio, eat back those calories, and reassess in a month.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    And also, don't beat yourself up about going over by 350 for one day. This is the long game... think about how long life is... you will have many more days where you eat more than you plan to in a lifetime. What's important is what you usually do. In my experience, when I beat myself up about "bad" days, I want to overcompensate by restricting, which leads to a mucked up pattern. Just be chill, keep track, keep up the good work and tweak things if you're not losing as planned over time.
  • jaysanchez4
    Options
    Wow thank you so much, that's reassuring and really helps me. I get so paranoid about going over and I'll ensure to make up for it today with might eatinf, cardio and strength training.

Thank You!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Also, please understand that you are talking about one tenth of a pound, at the absolute maximum. Think 3500 cals per pound. I'm not trying to be flippant, but you ARE worrying about almost nothing.
  • jaysanchez4
    Options
    Also, please understand that you are talking about one tenth of a pound, at the absolute maximum. Think 3500 cals per pound. I'm not trying to be flippant, but you ARE worrying about almost nothing.

I think this is what I needed to hear, I worry a lot just because I've been doing so well and working so hard.

Since I went over my calories yesterday by almost 400 eating a medium sized bowl of pho and a spring roll, I went to the gym this morning. Ran for 13 minutes, and went on the stationary bike for 30 minutes plus another 30 minutes of strength training.

Thanks so much for your info!

I definitely appreciate it!

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    I understand your line of thought. I had the same sort of thinking in the past. Personally what it lead to was burnout and gaining the weight back. Being bent out of shape for 300-400 calories over when it doesn't even take you out of your calorie deficit, while understandable, is not sustainable for most people. What will happen when you have a stretch with no weight loss, or if you gain a pound or more, and yes that can happen even while maintaining your calorie deficit since 1) Weight loss is not linear and 2) Fat loss can be masked by things like water retention which can even raise your weight while fat is still coming off.

I applaud your determination and commitment. I do ask you to consider carefully what you are going to get worried about since the amount of worry you displayed over something that in the long term (and even in the short term) is pretty much nothing (a fraction of a pound at most) is not sustainable. There are too many ups and downs in the weight loss journey.
  • jaysanchez4
    Options
    I understand your line of thought. I had the same sort of thinking in the past. Personally what it lead to was burnout and gaining the weight back. Being bent out of shape for 300-400 calories over when it doesn't even take you out of your calorie deficit, while understandable, is not sustainable for most people. What will happen when you have a stretch with no weight loss, or if you gain a pound or more, and yes that can happen even while maintaining your calorie deficit since 1) Weight loss is not linear and 2) Fat loss can be masked by things like water retention which can even raise your weight while fat is still coming off.

I applaud your determination and commitment. I do ask you to consider carefully what you are going to get worried about since the amount of worry you displayed over something that in the long term (and even in the short term) is pretty much nothing (a fraction of a pound at most) is not sustainable. There are too many ups and downs in the weight loss journey.

Thank You for this, i guess i'm just paranoid about gaining a pound or two back when it was so hard to lose it in the first place. I did notice my weight loss has drastically slowed down, it might be due to the fact that i've been fighting bronchitis and my eating pattern/exercise routine isn't how it was a few weeks back.

Thanks for the reminder, i'll definitely try to relax a bit more during this whole process and not be so paranoid. I eat clean maybe 90% of the time, and 99.9% of the time i haven't been going over my calories other than yesterday so it's a new feeling for me, i feel guilty and upset about it; although after reading your explanation i do understand better now.

Thank You very much,

I have a big buffet dinner on Sunday that i'm worried about, any tips? Maybe eat less the whole day?

Thanks Again everyone!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is why I don't bother eating back my calories. My workout schedule is the same every week, so all I had to do was figure out what my real maintenance number was (using TDEE as a starting point, but then perfecting by actually counting calories for a few weeks).

When I want to lose, I eat a little under. When I want to gain, I eat a little over. I adjust as necessary periodically.

Once you start counting calories, everything just falls into place, and manipulating your weight is ridiculously easy. (Although manipulating your hunger may or may not be easy.)
  • jaysanchez4
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    This is why I don't bother eating back my calories. My workout schedule is the same every week, so all I had to do was figure out what my real maintenance number was (using TDEE as a starting point, but then perfecting by actually counting calories for a few weeks).

When I want to lose, I eat a little under. When I want to gain, I eat a little over. I adjust as necessary periodically.

Once you start counting calories, everything just falls into place, and manipulating your weight is ridiculously easy. (Although manipulating your hunger may or may not be easy.)

so when you say maintenance number, you mean the number the MFP automatically calculates for you based on the information you log in?

I'm 30, 5'10 and 205lbs and it calculated me at 1680 calories a day.