Oats don't fill me up at all

Aren't they supposed to be slow energy releasing carbs? That satiate? They do nothing for me but taste good. I'm famished under 2 hours later. That's will a banana mashed in, raisins, skimmed milk and a tsp peanut butter. Come to think of it, the only thing that fills me at breakfast time is toast(s) and eggs.

Anyone else find that oatmeal/porridge doesn't fill them up?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yes I agree, only eggs (and bacon) fill me up too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Aren't they supposed to be slow energy releasing carbs? That satiate? They do nothing for me but taste good. I'm famished under 2 hours later. That's will a banana mashed in, raisins, skimmed milk and a tsp peanut butter. Come to think of it, the only thing that fills me at breakfast time is toast(s) and eggs.

This is the oatmeal I eat... And it keeps me full.

https://theproteinchef.co/rocky-road-protein-oatmeal-recipe-high-fiber/
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Id have to add like an extra 400 calories in form of nut butter, protein powder, fruit and other toppings for oats to be remotely filling... so i never eat them anymore
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    They don't fill me up either. I need some fats/proteins in the mornings- I find toast with almond butter does the job nicely.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    I find 40g oats with 12g chia seeds, almond milk, and protein powder to be pretty filling. But, like others have already said, I think it's personal preference.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

I'm full just looking at that recipe. Ty. I actually think my husband would be eat that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I also find eggs very filling. I've never liked oats as porridge but I'd always go with what I found filling rather than what was 'supposed to be' filling.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    kami3006 wrote: »

I'm full just looking at that recipe. Ty. I actually think my husband would be eat that.

The s'mores one is pretty good and I plan on trying the apple pie one this weekend!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    As someone said before, satiety is personal. Little oatmeal packets don't do much for me but steel-cut oats do a great job keeping me full. What also works for me is protein and fiber - a breakfast sandwich of egg whites on a whole grain English muffin.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »

The s'mores one is pretty good and I plan on trying the apple pie one this weekend!

Ohh I may do the same.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I love oats, but they don't fill me up either. Half an hour later and I'm ready for more food.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Oats cooked into porridge don't keep me full at all, 2 hours at best and then I'm ravenous.

Dry oats, like muesli, granola or oatcakes, will keep me going all morning, though.

Everyone is different.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For one thing, satiety is a personal thing...personally complex carbs like that do fill me up. As oats go though, I'm not really a big fan of rolled oats...they don't seem to do the trick. I would prefer steel cut, but given time constraints I compromise with Coach's Oats which have a very similar texture. I've compared them to rolled oats and they are higher in fiber and protein for whatever reason.

But really, whatever YOU find satiating is what YOU need to do.

This. I find oats filling and frequently eat 2 servings in the morning or at night as supper. But, others don't find them filling at all.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    I cook oats in Fairlife milk (it is filtered and is a bit higher in protein than other brands), add protein powder until it reaches my protein goal, and then a cupful of blueberries, some chia seeds, and maybe a few nuts. Protein and fiber are what works to keep me satiated and I prioritize protein when assembling every meal.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    For me it's protein and fat, not fiber, that fills me and keeps me full (that second part is key - yes fiber will make me physically "full" at the time, but an hour or two later, I'm hungry again). So oatmeal (regardless of variety) isn't the best choice for me. Eggs (2-3, any style), with or without bacon/sausage/avocado, is a better choice for my own satiety.

You are not alone.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Any particular reason you're eating porridge instead of the toast and eggs? Testing to see if oatmeal will keep you full?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think oats are filling anyway, but they are more so to me if I add an egg and some vegetables (for savory oats). Even plain or with berries oats are much more filling than toast or bacon to me (two of my least filling foods), which just shows everyone is different. ;-)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Oats have never been filling for me. I can eat them, and 30 minutes later, I'm ready to eat everything in the fridge. So ... despite the fact that I actually kind of like them, I don't eat them.

My husband, however, finds them sufficiently filling. So he eats them.