How in fresh h*ll does anyone stay within their calorie budget?!!!

Options

Replies

• FernGitt
    FernGitt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goal is 1 pound per week and I put "lightly active" for my lifestyle. Tryin to keep it real.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    FernGitt wrote: »
    My weight loss goal is 1 pound per week and I put "lightly active" for my lifestyle. Tryin to keep it real.

Personally, I would focus on modifying your foods (more protein, more fiber), track for 4 weeks and adjust if necessary. Alternately, you can set it so 1/2lb per week and see if you can walk more. The latter might help with dietary adherence.

Also, if you can spare some time, even at the end of the day, you can do some body resistance programs (you are your own gym or convict condition, the Nike App) to get in a small workout.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Go back to your Goals page. (GOALS > View Guided Setup) here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Set your "Activity Level" to "Active." Also set your goal to "Lose 1/2 pound per week."

With your schedule and all you are doing, no way you are anything less than "Active." It should give you more calories that way. 1300 is way too low for a 40YO, 5 foot 9, 157 pound, working parent (you're female?)

No wonder you're struggling.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    You're not helping, Fern! :pensive:

I plugged your numbers into the mayo clinic's calculator (I made you 40 and somewhat active) and it came up with 1950 just to maintain. So even with 1 lb a week weight loss, it gives you 1450 calories....not including purposeful exercise.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    FernGitt wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean when you say I "set my deficit too high" and to "eat my exercise calories back." Take it easy on me, I'm a noob here ya know. ;)

"set your deficit too high" means you told it you want to lose weight too fast, so it slashed your calories by more than you need it to. Go back to "goals" and change to half a pound a week. That will give you another 250 calories a day, which will give you some much needed wiggle room. As you get closer to your goal you should aim to lose more slowly so you don't have to starve yourself. With only 17lb to go, half a pound a week is where you want to be. Slow and steady wins the race.

"eating exercise calories back "means you log exercise in your diary, which means myfitnesspal gives you extra calories, and you eat them. This is really important if you are using myfitnesspal as intended, as the basic calorie allowance includes no exercise at all. If you have told it your activity level is "sedentary" then you can track things like walking, provided you are accurate about speed and time. I walk about a mile each day to work, three times a week, and it's amazing how much easier that makes it. If you have set the activity level to "lightly active" or "active" you will need to be more careful as it assumes a certain number of steps when it calculates your basic allowance and you don't want to count them twice.

There is all sorts of other stuff that can help you, to do with more filling foods, but make sure your goals are set up right first, then you can look at that stuff.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At 1 lb per week that sounds right. Reduce it to a half pound per week and settle in for a 9-10 month process.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    How many calories in your Lean Cuisine?

For breakfast this morning I had 1tbl of peanut butter, 1/2 banana and 2 slices of bread for 250 calories plus a glass of V8 juice for 50 calories.

I have already logged lunch, dinner and a dessert and am only slightly above 1300 hundred for the day.

Maybe try a lower calorie bread in the morning. It sounds as if your Lean Cuisine had quite a few calories.

I eat between 1200 and 1600 calories depending on the day. I try to keep breakfast at around 300 calories...lunch at 450, afternoon/nighttime snack 150 and dinner close to 600. If I am having a lower calorie day I take take some off of each meal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,879 Member
    Options
    How many hours a day are you on your feet? You sound more than lightly active.

Sounds right has nothing to do with it. You're restricting calories. The level of restriction has implications. You sound/scratch that you ARE normal weight and not at the top of normal weight either. I bet you that smartbmi would probably tell you that you're already at the perfect weight for health and longevity... try running the calculation and evaluating your goals (is the issue weight, or relative pudginess compared to before).

So you would benefit from the guide of relatively lean people trying to get leaner. . Someone might forward.

In the meanwhile pick a smaller deficit and remember that deliberate exercise is not included in that deficit.

Also bread and peanut butter sounds like a splurge meal for a calorically restricted day. Frankly I would rather have ice cream with those calories! Many better choices up thread!!!!

Take care!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I understand - I'm shorter but about the same weight. Also younger and a man, but what it takes to lose is not that much different. I lose about 0.7 lbs. per week if I stick with 1,500 calories (assuming the right macros also). From what I can tell and what others say, there isn't a single other person on this site that has even close to the same appetite that I have. Despite that this isn't enough for me, there are some things that I'll suggest that I know will help... for someone who isn't me, this may be enough to actually be satisfied with 1,500 or even 1,300 calories:

Skip the bread and peanut butter. Also skip the microwave meals. As others have said, peanut butter and peanuts are primarily fat, not protein. For protein, go with eggs (suggested earlier), chicken breast, or tuna. Instead of bread, add salad (with no croutons or cheese, and use dressing sparingly). You can cut up the chicken breast or tuna and mix into the salad if you would like. This will give you protein with volume, but not a lot of calories.

Anything where you can add high water-content and sometimes fiber (be careful about high fiber foods that also contain a lot of carbs and fat) without much carbs (so not wheat / bread), and without much fat (i.e. not peanut butter and not cheese, and careful about fat ratios in meats) will substitute just as well. Unless you can eat 3+ gallons of salad at a single meal like me, then you should be able to finish under your calorie goal without going hungry.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    OP-can you make your food diary public so we can take a look at it, I'm still not sure how you hit 1,000 calories eating what you listed in your original post. There's some incorrect food entries listed in the data base so maybe you accidentally chose a wrong, higher calorie option?

And what happens to your calorie number when you chose .5lb instead of the 1lb option, for weekly goal?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Once you get your weekly weight loss goal & activity sorted out (as per the previous posts), then you can start the process of learning what food choices make the most of your calorie allowance. At anything less than 1500 calories, I really can't afford liquid calories. Focus on your proteins & fiber first. As has been mentioned, peanut butter is actually a pitiful source of protein. Try Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna, eggs, & lean meats. It's a learning process and it helps to view it that way- i.e., what can I improve on this week? But be aware, since you are relatively small, the weight loss will occur more slowly and you probably won't have much room for error, so accurate logging is essential.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    How many calories in your Lean Cuisine?

For breakfast this morning I had 1tbl of peanut butter, 1/2 banana and 2 slices of bread for 250 calories plus a glass of V8 juice for 50 calories.

I have already logged lunch, dinner and a dessert and am only slightly above 1300 hundred for the day.

Maybe try a lower calorie bread in the morning. It sounds as if your Lean Cuisine had quite a few calories.

I eat between 1200 and 1600 calories depending on the day. I try to keep breakfast at around 300 calories...lunch at 450, afternoon/nighttime snack 150 and dinner close to 600. If I am having a lower calorie day I take take some off of each meal.

Today I'm also a little above 1,300-

-2 'sandwich skinnys' (which is four pieces), toasted
    -2 two servings of light cheese spread (those triangle pkgs)
    -beef stick
    -2 servings of white rice
    -2 servings California Blend veggies
    -4 ounces of chicken
    -serving of sweet n sour sauce
    -1.5 servings of sour cream and onion potato chips
    -serving of light hot cocoa
    -1.5 servings of whipped cream
    -2 servings (whole can) of tomato soup
    =1,378 calories

plus diet soda, water and black tea, and then Davinci 0 calorie raspberry syrup in the hot cocoa

I'll go to bed totally full tonight and really could have done without the beef stick (it did taste good alongside the toast and cheese though lol).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Agree. When I am successful at 1500 calories (and notice I say *when*), the breakdown is typically 400 for breakfast, 500 for lunch, & 600 for dinner. If I was at 1300, it would probably be 300, 400, & 600 (or smaller dinner & afternoon snack).

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP-can you make your food diary public so we can take a look at it, I'm still not sure how you hit 1,000 calories eating what you listed in your original post. There's some incorrect food entries listed in the data base so maybe you accidentally chose a wrong, higher calorie option?

And what happens to your calorie number when you chose .5lb instead of the 1lb option, for weekly goal?

I think something is wrong too. I looked at Lean Cuisines website. The meals that I looked at ranged between 250 and 310. Surely her 1 slice of bread with a smear of peanut butter wasn't 700 calories.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

I think something is wrong too. I looked at Lean Cuisines website. The meals that I looked at ranged between 250 and 310. Surely her 1 slice of bread with a smear of peanut butter wasn't 700 calories.

Yep, I eat LCs quite a bit and they're pretty low calorie. Maybe she's adding things to her coffee?
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You might find, as I do, that you lose at a different rate than MFP and other calculators say for a given intake.

If 1300 feels too little (as a female of the same height and age group, and less active, I would find it unsustainable), massage your inputs (activity level / rate of loss) until you find something that IS sustainable for you. Then monitor your loss, for a while. You will find out, as you go along, what foods fill you up for very few calories, and what foods torch your calorie limit but leave you wanting more. It's different for different people. As a cook, you probably have loads of ideas of things to eat.

If you are very unhappy with your rate of loss, and have found foods that allow you to feel satisfied at a lower calorie intake, you can always reset your goals at a later date. But feeling constantly starving and unhappy is not sustainable.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Hey Fern.

I am your height, 48, plenty of kids, and maintaining under 140, MFP gives me 1600something before exercise, in practice i eat about 2k and stay under 140 so I think maybe you are too aggressive with the diet.

What were you eating to maintain the weight you are now? Cut out 500 calories a day from that and you should lose weight.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just saw how much you had been eating .. you do get used to it somewhat .. hang in there it works

Good luck
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm confused how one slice of wheat toast, a little PB, and a Lean Cuisine added up so that you only have 300 cals left?? I'm guessing one slice of wheat toast is what, 120 cals? One tbs of PB is 100, and I eat Lean Cuisine's all the time and I know the absolute highest cal ones are maybe 350. True that PB is a diet-killer (for me) but unless you absolutely piled it on.... ?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Start making lower-calorie swaps and reduce portions. That's pretty much it, assuming your goals are set appropriately. It's a shock at first, but you adjust over time.