Advice?!

Options
Im wanting to start prepping with my food, they say its better and easier. Any tips on good things to prep??

I have a hugeeeeeeee issue with soda.

I drink sooo much on a normal day, dont keep count and never care.

Today. I had 1 mini can. And 5 bottles of water.

Must start somewhere right??

Any ideas on good prep foods tho or any healthy habits i need to pick up???

Replies

• pothosgirl
    pothosgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If it's the carbonation you like Bai cans are delicious and I believe 0 calories. I just started seriously trying 2 weeks ago and am using the app C25K for exercise 3 days a week and love it. Good luck
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    there are some good flavored seltzer waters out there. As far as habits...weigh regularly, maybe every day ( i do), log everything and be honest. After that healthy eating is almost like arguing politics or religion...everyone has an opinion they will fight for
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking regular soda? If you are, switching to diet is a really easy way to cut out calories. It was one of the first things I did when I started my weight loss phase and it made a big difference for me :)

• TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    TryingToMakeTheRealMe Posts: 27 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Billglitch, thank you so much! I started logging everythingggg about a week ago. I was amazed at the calories. And some of the little things i eat that have a huge impact! I kinda suck at the dieting and never seem to stick to it. I always feel let down or i hit a plateau and my weight gets stuck. Ive always been rather bigger. But im gonna stick to it this time lol its gotta gooo. Thank you again!

And going to check out the drinks you mentioned. I have no idea what im doing lol or going at this point. Ive been doing it all wrong and my family that raised me too. Thank you so much again!
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    Crzycatlady1, yessss. Im terrible with soda.. i drink a lot, a lotttt of dr pepper and mountain dew. But today. I had 1 mini can. As to yesterday 6 regular cans. And i was watching my i take at 6.. i was so upset. Lol. Like this is so insane. Like im just used to and comfortable with how i eat and cook. Until i actually paid attention and scanned EVERYTHING in that day and i was like whoaaaa. 6 cans of dr pepper alone almost hit my calories. I was just blown away.

Any recommendations on diet soda??
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    Pothosgirl, ive never had the bai drinks but always heard great things! Gonna check the app out now, i have exercise equipment here at home but terrible at making time to use it. Time to wipe the dust off!
  • LadyAlvena
    LadyAlvena Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to drink tons and tons of soda, id open the fridge, chug one down and grab a 2nd one to walk away with. 2 liters is a day was nothing for me. Soda was a horrible addition..
    I never liked any of the other things people would recommend me. I also found diet soda to not taste to my liking.. I found limiting myself to 1 can of my favorite soda day to be easy. Once i got down to 1 can a day, after awhile i noticed there was somedays where i didnt have any. So for me soda isnt completely gone, its there as almost a treat. I enjoy my 1 can now, rather than suck it down like air. Haha.

As for prepping food, a common one i see is prechopping veggies and fruits. Youre more likely to grab and toss them in a dish if theyre already all cut up and ready to go. I myself am getting into meal prepping. I love it! Watched a bunch of videos for food/meal ideas aswell. :)
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    TryingToMakeTheRealMe Posts: 27 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    LadyAlvena wrote: »
    I used to drink tons and tons of soda, id open the fridge, chug one down and grab a 2nd one to walk away with. 2 liters is a day was nothing for me. Soda was a horrible addition..
    I never liked any of the other things people would recommend me. I also found diet soda to not taste to my liking.. I found limiting myself to 1 can of my favorite soda day to be easy. Once i got down to 1 can a day, after awhile i noticed there was somedays where i didnt have any. So for me soda isnt completely gone, its there as almost a treat. I enjoy my 1 can now, rather than suck it down like air. Haha.

As for prepping food, a common one i see is prechopping veggies and fruits. Youre more likely to grab and toss them in a dish if theyre already all cut up and ready to go. I myself am getting into meal prepping. I love it! Watched a bunch of videos for food/meal ideas aswell. :)

Ok, so you totally hit this on the head lol.. i think thats my problem, i would chug it and be onto the next. Not realizing how many i was really drinking. And my husband has always been mr skinny his whole life so he doesnt get why im suddenly like, omg. Cutting down to 1 mini can, made me mad lol.. like my mood changed. And i had a caffeine headache like no other. Omg. Was terrible. Lol. I dont know if im gonna like the diet soda or not. I have legit never even tried one. And i do like the sams club water i used to have when i was younger. Im only 28. But im a very unhealthy 28 :(

Thanks for your reply! Definitely might just have to stick to 1 lonely wittle can a day if nothing else agrees with me, or i agree with it haha

And as to the prepping, yesss. I seen a lot of YouTube videos on veggies and fruit. And i loveeeee them both. BUT its the time it takes to cut, clean etc before i can eat it. So the snacks have been more convenient to me. Def gonna do that!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Im wanting to start prepping with my food, they say its better and easier. Any tips on good things to prep?? Any ideas on good prep foods?
    "They" say so much all the time; not everything applies to everybody. You do what helps you reach your goals. Make food you like, in a way that is convenient to you, and eat it up.

I drink sooo much on a normal day [...].
    Make a habit of drinking a glass of water when you get up, and one with each meal? You don't need soda; if you want to cut down, you can do that. But you don't have to cut it out, you can have a can now and then.

Any ideas [...] or any healthy habits i need to pick up???
    Yes:
    dont keep count and never care
    Start to keep count, start to care.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Wow nice work on only drinking one today and drinking water instead!!

My biggest tip is: if you have a "bad" day where you blow it and have a bunch of sodas remember that tomorrow is a new day, it doesn't mean you are off track! Don't get down on yourself because sometimes addictions can be weird and at first it's easy and then it gets hard. Days like that almost always happen so be prepared ahead of time to remind yourself that it doesn't mean your new healthy lifestyle was ruined. You can lose a battle and still win the war.

Other little tips... food prep is fantastic! If cutting and washing etc of veggies is too exhausting or time consuming it's can be very helpful to buy precut or items that already are in the right size and shape. Same with meat. Sure it might cost a little extra, but if you end up actually eating it it's completely worth it.

Do a little research before converting to diet soda as opposed to trying to beat the addiction as a whole... from what I have read diet drinks are not the answer and can actually be worse for you!

A tip I have read (and have used for other things) is to just commit to five minutes of whatever it is you want to do. You said you have some workout equipment (lucky!!) so just tell yourself " I'll do 5 minutes of -insert machine- today" which is basically nothing and anyone can spare five and it seems super easy, and most of the time you end up doing more because the hardest part is always beginning.

Good luck, I really hope you stick to it, it will be so worthwhile if you do!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @TryingToMakeTheRealMe Where you are right now is your Starting/Reference point that you need to baseline and then move forward to where you want to be. This is a science experiment and you are the subject of the study - establish your existing baseline of dietary consumption/caloric expenditure and move forward from that point. You need to be Brutally Honest/Accurate in your logging.

With only 6 post it tells me you are new to MFP and the Forums.
    Welcome to MFP and the Forums.

I recommend some good reads for you to start this journey as my "incredibly generic advice" when someone is new to MFP. Yes I have "Spammed - Copied and Pasted" this same write up to other MFP Newbies.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/1-hour-to-food-prep-your-fast-easy-plan-for-success/
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/meal-planning-for-beginners/
    The-forum-survival-guide
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-beginners-guide-to-myfitnesspal/

At the Top of most Forums you will see a Discussion with the Words Announcement underneath them. As an example go into the General Diet and Weight Loss Forum.
    general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

You will see Announcement Posts ( Closed ) and a list of additional posts by members. If you open the Announcement Post you will see a list of Links to posts that are a great source of information.
    most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Of all the "Stickied" Posts these are some of the ones that I keep referring back to all the time.
    important-posts-to-read
    youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    A-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

A 4 part Blog about the power of habits.
    The-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130

I recommend the link below to Logging Accurately as it has been one I constantly refer back to.
    logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Picking an item from the Food Database can be a challenge due to the huge number of Multiple entries with similar names.
    Some of the Key things I look for is USDA in the name/description as this indicates that the person who entered it used the USDA Food search web site as a source. I will compare the MFP Nutrition Data to the USDA Data. If you look at the nutrition data and see multiple users have confirmed it then it's probably a good choice.

These are just a few of the many great posts that have been so helpful.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I understand loving soda. Diet soda is a good substitute. Coke zero has been a life saver for me.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    You don't sound as if diet drinks 'scare' you, but if you do have any concerns then you might like to check this out for reassurance anyway. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Try different brands too, if you don't like the taste of one type. You can also buy Zevia-brand sodas sweetened with stevia, although I didn't personally find that they were tasty enough to justify the higher cost. I never had much of a soda habit, though, but if you find you don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners then it might be worth trying them. (I did see an article that suggests not consuming a large amount of stevia per day, which might be a consideration, although I didn't follow up on said article with any research of my own since it's not a personal concern.)

You might like to try sparkling water, if it's the bubbles you like, or get a Sodastream or similar gadget and make your own drinks with low-calorie flavourings. And you can certainly continue to work on cutting down your intake over time if you prefer to stick with the original versions of your favourites! :)
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've developed a huge La Croix obsession since I've started cutting my liquid calories. It's a lot cheaper than Bai (though Bai is also good) and soogooood
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    Im wanting to start prepping with my food, they say its better and easier. Any tips on good things to prep?? Any ideas on good prep foods?
    "They" say so much all the time; not everything applies to everybody. You do what helps you reach your goals. Make food you like, in a way that is convenient to you, and eat it up.

I drink sooo much on a normal day [...].
    Make a habit of drinking a glass of water when you get up, and one with each meal? You don't need soda; if you want to cut down, you can do that. But you don't have to cut it out, you can have a can now and then.

Any ideas [...] or any healthy habits i need to pick up???
    Yes:
    dont keep count and never care
    Start to keep count, start to care.

Thank you!! That last part, keep count and care, that hit it right on the head! :)
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    Wow nice work on only drinking one today and drinking water instead!!

My biggest tip is: if you have a "bad" day where you blow it and have a bunch of sodas remember that tomorrow is a new day, it doesn't mean you are off track! Don't get down on yourself because sometimes addictions can be weird and at first it's easy and then it gets hard. Days like that almost always happen so be prepared ahead of time to remind yourself that it doesn't mean your new healthy lifestyle was ruined. You can lose a battle and still win the war.

Other little tips... food prep is fantastic! If cutting and washing etc of veggies is too exhausting or time consuming it's can be very helpful to buy precut or items that already are in the right size and shape. Same with meat. Sure it might cost a little extra, but if you end up actually eating it it's completely worth it.

Do a little research before converting to diet soda as opposed to trying to beat the addiction as a whole... from what I have read diet drinks are not the answer and can actually be worse for you!

A tip I have read (and have used for other things) is to just commit to five minutes of whatever it is you want to do. You said you have some workout equipment (lucky!!) so just tell yourself " I'll do 5 minutes of -insert machine- today" which is basically nothing and anyone can spare five and it seems super easy, and most of the time you end up doing more because the hardest part is always beginning.

Good luck, I really hope you stick to it, it will be so worthwhile if you do!

Thank you! I gave myself a bad headache only drinking 1. I have been using those bottle water Hawaiian punch, no sugar and all. And the equipment i got was free from someone i knew, lol thankfully! And was legit brand new. I havent started my food prepping. Fail right. The holidays messed everything all up. And i feel i suffered the whole way thru lol i just keep saying tomorrow is a new day!
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @TryingToMakeTheRealMe Where you are right now is your Starting/Reference point that you need to baseline and then move forward to where you want to be. This is a science experiment and you are the subject of the study - establish your existing baseline of dietary consumption/caloric expenditure and move forward from that point. You need to be Brutally Honest/Accurate in your logging.

With only 6 post it tells me you are new to MFP and the Forums.
    Welcome to MFP and the Forums.

I recommend some good reads for you to start this journey as my "incredibly generic advice" when someone is new to MFP. Yes I have "Spammed - Copied and Pasted" this same write up to other MFP Newbies.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/1-hour-to-food-prep-your-fast-easy-plan-for-success/
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/meal-planning-for-beginners/
    The-forum-survival-guide
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-beginners-guide-to-myfitnesspal/

At the Top of most Forums you will see a Discussion with the Words Announcement underneath them. As an example go into the General Diet and Weight Loss Forum.
    general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

You will see Announcement Posts ( Closed ) and a list of additional posts by members. If you open the Announcement Post you will see a list of Links to posts that are a great source of information.
    most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Of all the "Stickied" Posts these are some of the ones that I keep referring back to all the time.
    important-posts-to-read
    youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    A-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

A 4 part Blog about the power of habits.
    The-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130

I recommend the link below to Logging Accurately as it has been one I constantly refer back to.
    logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Picking an item from the Food Database can be a challenge due to the huge number of Multiple entries with similar names.
    Some of the Key things I look for is USDA in the name/description as this indicates that the person who entered it used the USDA Food search web site as a source. I will compare the MFP Nutrition Data to the USDA Data. If you look at the nutrition data and see multiple users have confirmed it then it's probably a good choice.

These are just a few of the many great posts that have been so helpful.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! that was a lot od great information. Yes very new to it and never tried anything online or with other people about my weight really. Always embarrassed or was ok with it. Weird how that works. Lots of support here! I love it. Im still getting used to logging my food. As i work in healthcare and its hard to keep focused on one thing at a time lol
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    I understand loving soda. Diet soda is a good substitute. Coke zero has been a life saver for me.

Coke zero i like, tried it at chikfilet!!!! Just the other day. Lol. Thats so funny!! Thank you!!
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    You don't sound as if diet drinks 'scare' you, but if you do have any concerns then you might like to check this out for reassurance anyway. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Try different brands too, if you don't like the taste of one type. You can also buy Zevia-brand sodas sweetened with stevia, although I didn't personally find that they were tasty enough to justify the higher cost. I never had much of a soda habit, though, but if you find you don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners then it might be worth trying them. (I did see an article that suggests not consuming a large amount of stevia per day, which might be a consideration, although I didn't follow up on said article with any research of my own since it's not a personal concern.)

You might like to try sparkling water, if it's the bubbles you like, or get a Sodastream or similar gadget and make your own drinks with low-calorie flavourings. And you can certainly continue to work on cutting down your intake over time if you prefer to stick with the original versions of your favourites! :)

I have tried a few over the last few weeks. Learned I think I look for that sugary taste. So diet mt dew was ok and diet dr pepper. Didnt like diet coke nor diet pepsi lol.. but coke zero was not too bad either.. and i checked a soda stream at xmas, going to see if the price changes shortly and might invest. Inalso tried that mio? ....never again! Hahahahaa
  • TryingToMakeTheRealMe
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »
    I've developed a huge La Croix obsession since I've started cutting my liquid calories. It's a lot cheaper than Bai (though Bai is also good) and soogooood

Yeaaah bai is pricey ive seen. Gonna have to check out the la croix!! Someone else mentioned that on another thread.