Diet Coke & Weight Loss??

Options
Has anyone lost weight by stop drinking Diet Coke or other diet drinks?

Replies

• George_weight
    George_weight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    there was a politician in the UK which drank nothing but pepsi max around 3 2 littre bottles a day it got to, he swore by it, sounds apealing, when I am hungry I have a can of diet coke, sorts the craving out because you know its full of crap but not crap that will make you heavier.

Its a difficault one, but in moderation if you feel peckish, 1 glass a day wont hurt, same with wine and beer.
  • mattro7703
    mattro7703 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a few Scotch and Coke Zero's most nights. I'm losing 1kg a week so don't see any harm. You should have something as a treat through the day or really, what's the point... :) I'm sure someone will come on and tell you it's evil though... B)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke has 0 calories. If you stop drinking it, you have cut exactly 0 calories from your diet.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This concept has come up a lot lately. I'm really curious where this idea that a zero calorie beverage could be hindering weight loss...

Here is a recent thread to save us all some time:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10486615/if-you-stop-drinking-diet-soda-will-you-lose-more-weight/p1

And just to head the "zomg the chemicals are so bad" argument off at the pass...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

• DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I lost 90lbs drinking a few cans of pepsi max a day when ever i was craving sweet things. It didn't prevent me from losing weight. I don't really drink as much as i use to now as i'm really into tea XD So long as you don't drink anything high in calories and you stick to your calorie goals the weight should still come off =D
  • AZSkyeRx
    AZSkyeRx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    look, your tastebuds can't tell between real and fake sugar. they get the signal for "sweet" they trigger a cascade that ultimately dumps insulin into the blood in anticipation of sugar. too much insulin in the blood regularly can result in insulin resistance which goes along with metabolic changes like weight gain and can look like diabetes. also, having high insulin levels in the blood makes your body scavenge and store extra sugar that might otherwise be broken down and burned. if you get a big insulin spike and then no sugar, your body is more likely to trigger hunger signals that you don't have enough sugar because it thinks your brain is going to starve. so it's not a simple A -> B causality of diet soda CAUSING weight gain, it's diet soda tricking your body into craving more calories and not using calories well, which can ultimately lead to weight gain. it's not pseudoscience, it just gets oversimplified in the media. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    In short: No.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My switching from regular Coke to Coke Zero was a major contributing factor to me losing 15 lbs. Artificial sweeteners do not make me crave more "sweet", in fact they help me satisfy those cravings without consuming too many calories. MFP is full of people who lost tremendous amounts of weight while drinking diet soda.

The possibility of artificial sweeteners causing more sugar cravings is not proven, is certainly not universal, and in my opinion is probably a behavioral thing, not a biological thing.

And my basic understanding of the process is that the presence of sugar n the blood is what triggers insulin release, not a signal from your tastebuds.

And if you are accurately logging your intake and hitting the right number of calories, none of that matters anyway!
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have lost many pounds while drinking diet drinks with no impact.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AZSkyeRx wrote: »
    look, your tastebuds can't tell between real and fake sugar. they get the signal for "sweet" they trigger a cascade that ultimately dumps insulin into the blood in anticipation of sugar. too much insulin in the blood regularly can result in insulin resistance which goes along with metabolic changes like weight gain and can look like diabetes. also, having high insulin levels in the blood makes your body scavenge and store extra sugar that might otherwise be broken down and burned. if you get a big insulin spike and then no sugar, your body is more likely to trigger hunger signals that you don't have enough sugar because it thinks your brain is going to starve. so it's not a simple A -> B causality of diet soda CAUSING weight gain, it's diet soda tricking your body into craving more calories and not using calories well, which can ultimately lead to weight gain. it's not pseudoscience, it just gets oversimplified in the media. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

I started drinking diet soda when I started my weight loss phase and haven't found this to be the case at all. I actually credit diet soda as one of the reasons why I've been so successful with this whole thing.

Also-I was a prediabetic, and after dropping 50lbs (and drinking diet soda every day during that process), my glucose number stabilized into the normal range. Fast forward almost 4 years of successful maintenance, and I still drink diet soda every day, still have normal glucose numbers and have a current bmi of around 21. The American Diabetes Association actually recommends diet soda for diabetics because it does not affect glucose numbers-
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html

OP-diet soda has 0 calories. Many have found that it's helpful to incorporate into their plans.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    AZSkyeRx wrote: »

1) Your taste buds are not what drive/trigger insulin release.

2) As mentioned above, the American Diabetes Association recommends diet soda for diabetics. If it caused a significant insulin spike, I'd imagine that would probably be contraindicated for a diabetic.
  • aerial102
    aerial102 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas can increase your risk of a cardiac arrest. And because artificial sweeteners are much sweeter than actual sugar, it does indeed make you want more. Your brain thinks you're receiving sugar and it wants more. Soda in general is horribly bad for you.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    aerial102 wrote: »
    Diet sodas can increase your risk of a cardiac arrest. And because artificial sweeteners are much sweeter than actual sugar, it does indeed make you want more. Your brain thinks you're receiving sugar and it wants more. Soda in general is horribly bad for you.

Soooo you're calling some of us liars then, got it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Link to some kind of medical or scientific proof of the bolded?

Because it's pretty kitten irresponsible to throw info like that around if you can't show that.

And as mentioned above, why would the American Diabetes Association recommend diet soda if that was the case??? C'mon people :confused:
  • AnvilHead
    edited December 2016
    Options

No.

But feel free to provide a link to peer-reviewed RCTs which show a direct link between diet sodas and cardiac arrest.