Vegetarian transition

Options
I’ve been researching information on plant-based diets compared to carnism diets, and now I’m trying to make the shift to vegetarianism. Although some people may make the dramatic change overnight, I am aware that typically this doesn’t happen that way. If anyone is willing to share recommendations or steps with me, I would greatly appreciate it. Currently I've been changing to meatless meat, and for the most part, it taste good. If you are vegetarian or vegan can you add me to help guide me and maybe share some recipes to help with my transition?

Replies

• SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    I am also newly vegan and trying to follow an all plant based diet. I wanted to pass along to you this website, the girl is amazing and has some great tips,recipes and motivation. Her and her husband have been eating plant based for some time and they both have had great results physically and other wise! Good luck to you!

http://www.lovechard.com/
  • givesometogetsome
    givesometogetsome Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not vegan, but forever trying. If you're looking for a good "meaty" type recipe, you won't regret Russell Simmons' seitan BBQ ribs. I didn't even have canola oil on hand (just put a little extra bbq sauce on the bottom) or soy sauce (used tamari sauce instead) and it still came out good. Make sure you cook it long enough to get the texture right or else it'll be gummy and not chewy like meat.

I got this recipe off the Dr. Oz site, but you can also get Simmons' book for the recipe (it was at my local library, but so motivational I want to buy it).

Ingredients
    1 cup vital wheat gluten
    2 tsp paprika (smoked Spanish)
    2 tbsp nutritional yeast
    2 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 cup water
    2 tbsp nut butter (peanut butter, tahini, cashew)
    1 tsp liquid smoke
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 cup barbecue sauce

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 350° F and lightly spray an 8-x-8-inch baking dish with canola oil.
    2. Mix the vital wheat gluten, paprika, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Mix the water, nut butter, liquid smoke, and soy sauce, and add it to the dry ingredients. Stir to mix well in the bowl for a couple of minutes.
    3. Put the dough into the baking dish and flatten it so that it evenly fills the pan. Take a sharp knife and cut it into 8 strips; then turn the pan and cut those strips in half to form 16 pieces.
    4. Put it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. While it's cooking, prepare your grill pan or grill.
    5. Remove it from the oven and carefully recut each strip, going over each cut to make sure that the ribs will pull apart easily later.
    6. Generously brush the top with barbecue sauce. Take it to the grill pan or grill and invert the whole baking dish onto the grill (or use a large spatula to lifet the seitan out, placing it sauce-side down on the grill). Brush the top of the seitan with more sauce.
    7. Watch it closely to make sure that it doesn't burn. When sufficiently brown on one side, turn over and cook the other side, while adding more sauce, if necessary. When done, remove to a platter and cut or pull apart the individual ribs to serve.
  • katdum1978
    katdum1978 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been a vegetarian for 16 years, but do occasionally eat fish. I mostly follow a vegan diet. We try to keep things simple here. Popular meals (i.e., we eat this every week : stir fry with tofu and vegetables, pasta marinara with tofu, quinoa salad (with beans - I'll put the recipe below), tofu steaks with vegetables and rice, lentil/coconut milk/curry soup). You can also easily make a mulligatawny soup with lentils and rice. I find the easiest way is the best way. It all depends on how much time you want to spend cooking, but we have a bunch of things that we eat on the regular that are super-easy.

I am trying to avoid dairy as much as possible myself, so I have switched to almond milk and Nature Balance margarine. In baking I substitute eggs with ground flax seed mixed with water.

Another thing that is vegetarian (not vegan) that is super-simple to make is a quiche using flour tortillas for the crust. Essentially, three flour tortillas, blind back for 10 minutes, prepare filling by mixing together six eggs and half a cup of milk. When tortillas are out of over crumble 3 oz of cheese, and add one chopped up head of broccoli (cook this in boiling water for about 4 minutes first and then drain), and one apple, cut into cubes. Pour egg and milk mixture over and cook for about 45 minutes at 375.

vegan quinoa salad : cook quinoa as per box instructions and chop all vegetables. drain and rinse one tin of black beans. Mix all ingredients together save the avocado. Place avocado on top before serving.

180 g, Quinoa
    18 tomatoes, Grape Tomato
    1 container (2.2 cup (250ml) ea.), Black Beans
    1 half a cucumber
    10 total, Dried Apricots
    75 g, Olives
    1/2 medium, Bell Pepper
    1 medium, Avocado

Good luck!
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 12 years and for the last year have eaten completely vegan pretty much before 6pm each day. My biggest suggestion is to avoid the meatless meats where you can, and I am absolutely not the best example of this, but they're still highly processed so I eat them more as a treat.

It also helps to learn to cook tofu right. Most people don't know how to cook it so that's why they think it's gross. You have to fully press the water out (I have a tofu press, but two ceramic plates and paper towels work fine too) and then marinate it because otherwise tofu doesn't really have a flavor. My favorite way to cook tofu is by rolling it in cornstarch and baking it.

I also cook big batches of dried garbanzo and black beans and lentils and freeze them so I can throw them into pretty much any meal. I make a lot of curries because those are traditionally vegan already (Hindus are traditionally vegetarians). There are lot of good curry recipes online, but I make mine with a combination of cauliflower, carrots, garbanzo beans, lentils, and sometimes sweet potatoes. It also helps to have coconut milk in your pantry for a variety of things.

My favorite vegetarian "meat" recipe is lentil sloppy joes: http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-sloppy-joes/

Good luck! Vegetarianism is pretty fun and you can be pretty adventurous with your cooking, too. :)
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for a few years and I don't miss meat at all. In the UK, Quorn is a lot more popular than tofu. I think it is also available in the US now. I find it a lot better to cook with than tofu- I can cook most of the same dishes as I did before but just with a meat replacement. Mushrooms are great if you're craving something meaty, you can grill the big portobello ones and eat it in a bun just like a burger.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Also, it's pretty easy to get intimidated by fancy ingredients. Don't worry about diving into nutritional yeast or miso if you're not ready--I don't have the budget for fancy ingredients so I don't cook with them very often. It is possible to eat a healthy vegetarian lifestyle without having to go to the usually pricier health food store.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I haven't eaten meat (fish or seafood as well) in almost one year. I don't eat those fake meats, I do eat eggs and very little dairy. I meet my protein goals daily.

The transition wasn't tough for me at all because I was never a big meat eater.

I still enjoy foods that I ate before, just without meat. For example I love tacos and burritos. I just load up on veggies, rice and beans instead of meat. I have pasta dishes without meat. I love breakfast foods, I just don't have meat with my meals.

My favorite veggie dish as of right now are zucchini "crab" cakes: allrecipes.com/recipe/13938/connies-zucchini-crab-cakes. I add more seasonings to mine, but it's so good.

My diet has never been as flavorful or diverse as it has been this past year. It has been fun trying new things and experimenting with new dishes.

Good luck!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Been a Vegetarian for over 20 years (NOT Vegan - I eat seafood and dairy). I really like Morningstar Chik'n. I use it in stir fries, I make faux Chicken Parmsean with it - you name it. I also eat a lot of beans - put them in soups, burritos. And I eat a lot of Greek Yogurt - lots of protein there.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a "pesecetarian", I eat fish and seafood about twice a week. I made the transition just in one day and it has been 8 months since I've consumed any animal meat. It has helped that I kept the fish in my diet as well as eggs and dairy, though I do try to use dairy substitutes like almond and cashew milk. I don't consume a lot of soy due to the fact it just doesn't work well with my body.

My suggestion is start with eliminating land animal meats and try just having meals with more beans and fish. If you want to go full vegan, personally that would be more of a process. You have to look up vegetarian meals online! There are tons. It has been very easy for me to not consume meat... In fact the thought of a cheeseburger is gross to me! It was one simple documentary I watched online that got me to change my diet! Good luck!
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and eat a whole food plant based diet but when I was transitioning, I used Gardein products when I needed a "meat". Slowly use them less and add veggies in their place.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the change. I absolutely love the way I feel on WFPB and can't imagine going back. I did pretty much jump into the veggie pool but I understand that many get in one toe at a time.

There's alot of science based research out there. I love checking out nutritionfacts.org. There's a new video every day to give me motivation to stick with the plan. I stay with the No added fat, No added Sugar or Sugar Substitutes, No Animal Products plan. It took me a few weeks to realize deep down that Carbs are my besties as long as they are as complex as I am. ;)

www.pcrm.com helped a lot. They have a 21-day kickstart program that's free with nice looking meal plans and all the recipes. www.vegsource is also great for simple recipes.

Other little hints: Oriental Groceries carry a lot of staple foods that you may need at better prices than a regular or health food store. If you google Seventh Day Adventist Store you may get lucky and there is one in your area. Great prices and very helpful clerks that love to talk about the plant based diet --it's part of their belief system. They seem super happy to answer any questions and have a life time of practical experience. I'm still a little intimidated at the Health Food Store.

Feel free to look at my Food Diary although I've been eating pretty raw lately since I want to drop some pounds and add me as a friend if you like. I wish you health and happiness on your journey!
  • BethC1979
    BethC1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 4 years. My biggest tip for anyone trying out a vegetarian or vegan diet is - read the labels! There are hidden animal ingredients in so many foods. Also, if you have Netflix, watch some of documentaries about food/animal agriculture.
  • katdum1978
    katdum1978 Posts: 15 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    pcrm.com? I don't get anything on that page - do you have the title of the page instead?

LilacLion wrote: »
    Congratulations on making the change. I absolutely love the way I feel on WFPB and can't imagine going back. I did pretty much jump into the veggie pool but I understand that many get in one toe at a time.

There's alot of science based research out there. I love checking out nutritionfacts.org. There's a new video every day to give me motivation to stick with the plan. I stay with the No added fat, No added Sugar or Sugar Substitutes, No Animal Products plan. It took me a few weeks to realize deep down that Carbs are my besties as long as they are as complex as I am. ;)

www.pcrm.com helped a lot. They have a 21-day kickstart program that's free with nice looking meal plans and all the recipes. www.vegsource is also great for simple recipes.

Other little hints: Oriental Groceries carry a lot of staple foods that you may need at better prices than a regular or health food store. If you google Seventh Day Adventist Store you may get lucky and there is one in your area. Great prices and very helpful clerks that love to talk about the plant based diet --it's part of their belief system. They seem super happy to answer any questions and have a life time of practical experience. I'm still a little intimidated at the Health Food Store.

Feel free to look at my Food Diary although I've been eating pretty raw lately since I want to drop some pounds and add me as a friend if you like. I wish you health and happiness on your journey!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I'm a part timer...decided I didn't really want to make the full transition as I do enjoy eating meat. On vegetarian days (3 days per week usually) I still eat eggs and dairy...I do a lot of different things with lentils and beans and potatoes for main courses. I pretty much just use Pinterest for my recipes.

We still eat meat though...mostly fish and chicken, though we do eat beef and pork on occasion.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,891 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian (ovo lacto) for 42 years (yes, since 1974). I don't like fake meat, protein powders or protein bars (not some kind of religion or "principled stand"; I simply don't find them tasty or satisfying - I prefer to eat regular food),

The biggest advice I'd offer is to try to change your mindset from what's typical for meat-eaters: They tend to think of a meal as one big protein, plus some incidental sides. ("What's for dinner? Chicken!" ;) ).

Instead, think of weaving protein-containing foods throughout your day, in any/all categories. Nothing wrong with a "big" protein in there somewhere, like edamame, lentils, tempeh, seitan or what-have-you. But think about protein snacks, like nuts (in reasonable portions) or dry-roasted soybeans. If your salad needs extra crunch, add seeds (sunflower, pepitas, etc.) instead of croutons. Thicken your "cream" soup with pureed white beans. And so forth. Put peanut sauce (made with defatted peanut butter powder like PB2) on your veggies. Prefer veggies & fruits with a bit of protein over those with none. Eat grains with more protein (quinoa, spelt, buckwheat, etc.) vs. regular pasta or white rice. Eat bread and baked goods with more protein rather than less.

These small amounts add up to a good bit, over the course of a day.

Review your food diary, note foods that are high in calories but giving you little/no protein, and try substituting foods you enjoy that bring some protein along with tastiness and satisfaction.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you want to see what I eat - my diary is open to friends. (I'm in maintenance now, at 120-ish pounds, targeting 100g minimum protein daily), but that may not be helpful if you don't eat dairy. As an ovo-lacto of Northern European heritage, I have no issues with dairy, like it a lot, and rely regularly on things like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

One great resource here on MFP is this thread:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

It links to a spreadsheet that basically lists food in order by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories. Yes, you'll find a lot of meats & fish near the top, but if you keep scrolling through it, there are many vegan/vegetarian sources,

Many vegan sources of protein are incomplete, i.e. don't individually have all the essential amino acids - the ones your body can't make itself. It's a good idea to eat a good variety of protein sources, to better balance this out. (There are references about "protein complementarity" of food combinations, but eating an assortment is a basic way to begin.)

P.S. If you don't have strong ethical concerns that are leading you to become vegetarian, I'd suggest considering remaining an omnivore, and just eating meat or fish rarely. For one, it can be socially easier if one is invited to a non-vegetarian's home for dinner, wants to eat just like the family at holidays, travels to remote places with less suitable vegetarian food, etc. All of these things can be navigated (I have!), but if your concerns about meat aren't moral, it is something to consider. If you go this route, eating meat & fish occasionally will help keep your gut bacteria that help process it, and avoid digestive distress - which doesn't occur for everyone - if you eat it accidentally or only very rarely.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I switched to vegetarian, I did, quite literally, do it overnight. However, I wasn't a huge meat eater anyway (i maybe had red meat once a month- usually because I was craving a burger- and ate chicken or turkey once or twice a week). I also had been thinking about it a lot and basically just decided not to eat it anymore. Done and done. Some people transition slowly (my brother was vegetarian for probably 20 years, talked about going vegan for another 3 or 4 before he finally did). Some people can do it like a switch.

I currently eat very little dairy (both for ethical reasons and because my body isn't wild about it), and I mostly only eat eggs from chickens I know (my neighbor's or the eggs from the hens where I work). I will eat a little bit of fish on occasion still (I haven't quite come to grips with giving up sushi), so, under the most technical terms, I am pescatarian.

The fake meat stuff is a nice way to transistion, especially if you were quite carnivorous. If you're not ready to give it up completely, you can do vegan/vegetarian until a certain time of day (maybe only meat or animal products at dinner), or make some days meat free. Fill up on beans and lentils, otherwise (and obviously lots of vegs). They are a great source of protein and quite filling. Mushrooms have a great flavor that kind of hits that meaty, savory craving, so look for recipes with lots of mushrooms (if you like them). Check out Thug Kitchen for some great, fun recipes that are all vegan. I also like Plant Based on a Budget and the Happy Herbivore.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian a few months ago. In theory, I did the switch overnight, but in practice I had already cut the amount of meat I ate.

I spent a lot of time googling vegetarian versions of dishes I liked. I found online recipe resources like these useful;
    https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/special-diets/vegetarian/
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/special-diets/vegetarian/

I think my main advice would be to learn how to properly cook tofu. Poorly cooked tofu is a sad thing, properly cooked tofu is amazing.