Debating quitting logging and adopting plant-based diet, thoughts?

Options
Hey everyone!

So, I've been debating adopting a majority plant-based diet. I say majority because I was thinking that I'd still spoil myself with some naughty meat and cheese every once in a while, say a night out with the husband or going over to a friend's house, or even cooking for a group of people. It's not so much the principal that I'm interested in as it is this:

I've been very dilligent with logging and my diet for just over a year now. I've dropped 30lbs and lost 8 pant sizes, and I've hit my goal weight. And then I passed my goal weight. And then... I keep trying to leave myself extra calories to keep losing weight.

I had an eating disorder in college, and while I recovered, I think what first started off as healthy (I was 150 at 5'3, which is technically overweight, and now I'm at 120, which is still considered healthy luckily) has now become an obsession, and I think logging has most certainly become not just an obsession as well, but it has also helped enable it all.

SO. I would really really like to stop logging and just go by how I feel in my own skin and weigh myself occasionally just to make sure I'm not going UP, but I can't seem to shake the anxiety eating normally.

Perhaps switching to majority plant-based meals would help me feel good about what I'm putting into my body without making me freak out that I'm going way over calorie and having a breakdown?

Replies

• DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Rather than switching what you're eating, have you considered finding someone to talk to about how logging has become an obsession rather than a useful tool? If you feel like you're having a breakdown, I would address that -- not begin restricting additional foods.

Maybe going mostly plant-based would make you feel better, but there are also many people who find that it can make existing ED-tendencies worse (because of the restriction).

I'm a vegan and I have struggled off-and-on with disordered eating over the years, so I am familiar with both sides. For me, veganism is a really good fit mentally -- but that experience isn't universal.

I have been talking to a professional, actually, although I'm not certain it's doing much, simply because I am aware of the problem and my reasons and my feelings, especially since I've gone through it before, if that makes sense.

I can 100% see what you mean about it making it worse, but, in my mind, I was thinking that perhaps it would make me feel less restricted in a way because even though I wouldn't be making myself things with dairy, meat and cheese, I would be able to eat when hungry, until full, not worry so much about going over my calories even though I'm still starving for a snack mid day which is brutal since my days are super long (up at 0430 for work, in the office till 1700, gym, then in bed by 2100).

Plus, I hear having majority plant-based diet helps to improve energy, mood, and I figure you can't do much damage with a wide variety of fruits, veggies and healthy fats.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Why is meat naughty?

Let me just say this...a plant based or substantially plant based diet can be very healthy...but as someone who eats a substantively plant based diet, I can tell you that many of my plant based meals are more calorie dense than my carnivorous meals.

There's more to a healthy plant based diet than just fruit and veg and some nuts...many plant based sources of protein (especially if you're gong to forgo dairy and eggs) are going to need to come from things like lentils and legumes and other pulses...these things, while highly nutritious, are also pretty calorie dense. I often make a curried lentil dish with roasted cumin cauliflower...it is more calorie dense than grilling some cod or chicken and serving with vegetables.

Also, with ED tendencies, both calorie counting and food restriction can make these things worse...

Meat isn't naughty, I was just being playful with that one, haha.

Hmmm, this is true. I mean, I know all of it is true. I just really want to find a way to quit logging and learn how to eat intuitively without stressing out over it all the time, you know?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Rather than switching what you're eating, have you considered finding someone to talk to about how logging has become an obsession rather than a useful tool? If you feel like you're having a breakdown, I would address that -- not begin restricting additional foods.

Maybe going mostly plant-based would make you feel better, but there are also many people who find that it can make existing ED-tendencies worse (because of the restriction).

I'm a vegan and I have struggled off-and-on with disordered eating over the years, so I am familiar with both sides. For me, veganism is a really good fit mentally -- but that experience isn't universal.

I have been talking to a professional, actually, although I'm not certain it's doing much, simply because I am aware of the problem and my reasons and my feelings, especially since I've gone through it before, if that makes sense.

I can 100% see what you mean about it making it worse, but, in my mind, I was thinking that perhaps it would make me feel less restricted in a way because even though I wouldn't be making myself things with dairy, meat and cheese, I would be able to eat when hungry, until full, not worry so much about going over my calories even though I'm still starving for a snack mid day which is brutal since my days are super long (up at 0430 for work, in the office till 1700, gym, then in bed by 2100).

Plus, I hear having majority plant-based diet helps to improve energy, mood, and I figure you can't do much damage with a wide variety of fruits, veggies and healthy fats.

I'm glad you're already talking to someone.

If you think eliminating foods would make you feel less restricted, I'm not going to second-guess that. And this could be something that really works for you -- many people have found that a system of simple "food rules" can help them maintain weight without logging (those rules vary, some people use things like "No snacks, no seconds, no sweets") and a plant-based diet (or mostly plant-based diet) could fall into that category.

The one thing I will call out (that @cwolfman13 addressed eloquently) is that plant-based doesn't equal low calorie. Some people actually gain weight when they make the switch -- it's all going to depend on how you replace the foods you are eliminating. It sounds as if you have already considered this. I personally find it incredibly easy to gain weight without any animal products in my diet (I found it easy with animal products too -- I just love food!). So if you're making an effort to eat lower calorie plant-based foods, you might be able to eat when you are hungry and until you are full without any worries. But it could also result in some weight gain, which sounds like would be very distressing for you.

• DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I would also suggest that if you are interested in plant based meals, then you can just make more plant based meals. You don't need to ascribe to a specific eating style. In reality, there really aren't any naughty foods, just poor diets. Meats and cheeses are great source of nutrients, just like quinoa and lentils are.... just different. Personally, I enjoy working in various aspects of different eating styles, such as; Paleo, LCHF, and started looking into plant based based on a lot of the stuff that @cwolfman13 talks about. I really just don't like to limit myself based on a particular way of eating. Rules =/= good for me.

This is the goal, I 100% agree. Not planning to go completely one way or the other. Just meant majority.

I'm glad you're already talking to someone.

If you think eliminating foods would make you feel less restricted, I'm not going to second-guess that. And this could be something that really works for you -- many people have found that a system of simple "food rules" can help them maintain weight without logging (those rules vary, some people use things like "No snacks, no seconds, no sweets") and a plant-based diet (or mostly plant-based diet) could fall into that category.

The one thing I will call out (that @cwolfman13 addressed eloquently) is that plant-based doesn't equal low calorie. Some people actually gain weight when they make the switch -- it's all going to depend on how you replace the foods you are eliminating. It sounds as if you have already considered this. I personally find it incredibly easy to gain weight without any animal products in my diet (I found it easy with animal products too -- I just love food!). So if you're making an effort to eat lower calorie plant-based foods, you might be able to eat when you are hungry and until you are full without any worries. But it could also result in some weight gain, which sounds like would be very distressing for you.

Yeah, that does make sense, and I agree with you. I love food too! A lot. Which, I know sounds weird considering my issues with it, but I don't know. I guess I'm just looking for a way to ease back into intuitive eating slowly before resuming my "normal" diet, because I definitely eat healthy most of the time. Though, perhaps it isn't the right way to go, I just don't know what is at the moment.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I think if you're going to follow a plant-based diet, much less any new diet, you should still log diligently. It takes awhile to get the hang of how the calories fall. I used to undereat because I didn't log and just went by volume on my plate. I was eating 5 small meals a day and only getting 1700 calories or so. It was quite a revelation to know that I needed to eat even MORE than what I currently was. This falls more in line with a high carb plant-based diet that is also high in fiber.

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So, I've been debating adopting a majority plant-based diet. I say majority because I was thinking that I'd still spoil myself with some naughty meat and cheese every once in a while

Meat and cheese are good sources of certain nutrients. Why do you consider them "naughty"?

Eating a plant-based diet will not necessarily keep you from gaining weight. It can be very easy to overeat on a diet of calorie-dense vegetarian junk food, full of sugar, refined flour, and seed oils. Preparing vegetables, legumes, and whole grains daily may turn out to be as much of a hassle for you as simply logging a balanced diet.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    A - it sounds like you need more sleep. 5 hours a night is NOT going to help you with maintaining a healthy weight.

B - I would urge you to continue seeing a professional.

C - Don't let the name of this podcast fool you.....take a listen, it has to do with some of the negative sides of plant based diets: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2016/09/how-to-lose-131-pounds-by-eating-meat-the-rick-rubin-podcast/
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    A - it sounds like you need more sleep. 5 hours a night is NOT going to help you with maintaining a healthy weight.

B - I would urge you to continue seeing a professional.

C - Don't let the name of this podcast fool you.....take a listen, it has to do with some of the negative sides of plant based diets: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2016/09/how-to-lose-131-pounds-by-eating-meat-the-rick-rubin-podcast/

5 hours? What? from 21-0430? That's 7.5 hours.

Already seeing a professional.

Will listen, thank you!
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I feel like we're talking about two separate actions, which aren't necessarily related:

1. The need for you to stop logging because it's causing you some mental distress
    2. Your wish to transition to a more plant-based diet

I'd be worried about your ED thinking making you think that the two are related, because that can easily turn into restriction (for example, "I can only stop logging if I also restrict X types of foods.")

If it were me, I'd tackle one action first and give myself time to adjust, then consider the other action. I'd probably keep my diet largely the same and wean off logging first, then later (if it's mentally okay for you and if it's not driven by the ED), I'd slowly switch to more plant-based meals.

Here's another thing to consider: there are two ways to think about a plant-based diet. The first is to think "I'm going to eat very little meat/cheese," whereas the second is "I want to eat more vegetables, fruits and legumes." You may get to the same place, but the mental approach is different. Because you have an ED history, I'd be careful with any thought process that revolves around restricting any food, but it might be healthy for you to actively try to eat more plant-based foods without avoiding animal-based foods.

This is extremely insightful, thank you so much. I guess I had it in my mind that #2 would help aide #1, but I'm seeing that it may not necessarily be the case.
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So, I've been debating adopting a majority plant-based diet. I say majority because I was thinking that I'd still spoil myself with some naughty meat and cheese every once in a while, say a night out with the husband or going over to a friend's house, or even cooking for a group of people. It's not so much the principal that I'm interested in as it is this:

I've been very dilligent with logging and my diet for just over a year now. I've dropped 30lbs and lost 8 pant sizes, and I've hit my goal weight. And then I passed my goal weight. And then... I keep trying to leave myself extra calories to keep losing weight.

I had an eating disorder in college, and while I recovered, I think what first started off as healthy (I was 150 at 5'3, which is technically overweight, and now I'm at 120, which is still considered healthy luckily) has now become an obsession, and I think logging has most certainly become not just an obsession as well, but it has also helped enable it all.

SO. I would really really like to stop logging and just go by how I feel in my own skin and weigh myself occasionally just to make sure I'm not going UP, but I can't seem to shake the anxiety eating normally.

Perhaps switching to majority plant-based meals would help me feel good about what I'm putting into my body without making me freak out that I'm going way over calorie and having a breakdown?

You again??? :tongue: ....well...if you go down this road...it's gonna be tough on those cravings you've been fighting. Just sayin. :wink: Hope and pray you're able to find your groove for real
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I feel like we're talking about two separate actions, which aren't necessarily related:

1. The need for you to stop logging because it's causing you some mental distress

I'd be worried about your ED thinking making you think that the two are related, because that can easily turn into restriction (for example, "I can only stop logging if I also restrict X types of foods.")

If it were me, I'd tackle one action first and give myself time to adjust, then consider the other action. I'd probably keep my diet largely the same and wean off logging first, then later (if it's mentally okay for you and if it's not driven by the ED), I'd slowly switch to more plant-based meals.

Here's another thing to consider: there are two ways to think about a plant-based diet. The first is to think "I'm going to eat very little meat/cheese," whereas the second is "I want to eat more vegetables, fruits and legumes." You may get to the same place, but the mental approach is different. Because you have an ED history, I'd be careful with any thought process that revolves around restricting any food, but it might be healthy for you to actively try to eat more plant-based foods without avoiding animal-based foods.

^ I agree with all of this just for what it's worth ^
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So, I've been debating adopting a majority plant-based diet. I say majority because I was thinking that I'd still spoil myself with some naughty meat and cheese every once in a while

Meat and cheese are good sources of certain nutrients. Why do you consider them "naughty"?

Eating a plant-based diet will not necessarily keep you from gaining weight. It can be very easy to overeat on a diet of calorie-dense vegetarian junk food, full of sugar, refined flour, and seed oils. Preparing vegetables, legumes, and whole grains daily may turn out to be as much of a hassle for you as simply logging a balanced diet.

The "naughty" was me being playful, haha, I don't actually consider them naughty.

It's not really the hassle of logging, I honestly really enjoy the act of logging, I've been doing it for over a year. The problem is that now that I'm under my goal, the logging is becoming an unhealthy trigger where it becomes a game of how many excess calories I can get to go even lower and I'd like to stop logging once and for all to just simply enjoy food and life again, because there was a time between "episodes" where I actually really had a good relationship with what I was eating, even though I was gaining weight from it. I'd like to try to get that good feeling back without the pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I like this...

giphy.gif
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you go plant based. Oreos are vegan. Swedish fish are vegan. There are plenty of processed foods that are vegan.

If you go WFPB then you can relax on the logging. Whole food pant based means no added sugar, oil, nop processed food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It depends on how you go plant based. Oreos are vegan. Swedish fish are vegan. There are plenty of processed foods that are vegan.

If you go WFPB then you can relax on the logging. Whole food pant based means no added sugar, oil, nop processed food.

Most people on WFPB diets are eating some processed foods, they're typically just avoiding highly processed or refined foods. If the "Forks Over Knives" website is taken as a reliable guide to WFPB eating, people on those plans are eating processed foods such as tahini, maple syrup, vinegar, miso, canned tomatoes, ground spices, nutritional yeast, mustard, dried pasta, flour, soy sauce, canned beans, molasses, pre-made vegetable broth, cornmeal, canned pumpkin, and dried fruits. All of these are processed foods that are vegan too, it isn't just cookies and candy that are processed.

You might think "But those are all perfectly fine foods!" and yeah, that's my point. There is nothing wrong with processed food. It can be a tasty and convenient way to eat healthfully which is probably why it's so rare for us to see eating plans that do eliminate processed foods.