Is HFLC the only way for those with pcos/Type II, or is it all down to portion control?

Options
Are there any people with diagnosed PCOS/insulin resistance or type II who are able to lose weight by eating ~150+ carbs a day? I notice things like oats do not satisfy me but at the same time, I can't stand the fatigue, insomnia and HFLC is very low in volume so I'm not really full unless I eat cups and cups of broccoli. Is weight loss with a diagnosed metabolic syndrome possible with carbs or is something like Keto the only answer? I am active so I think that definitely helps. But I also have issues with satiety and binging, portion control esp. late at night. Intermittent fating helps but not enough.

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and other endocrine issues (damaged pancreas, hypothyroid, etc). I am very insulin resistant but not diabetic. I eat what I call a higher fat, lower carb diet, but not low carb. On average, 40-50% of my day is carbs. I definitely FEEL better at 40%. When I start hitting 50% I feel the draggy. Generally, if I'm hitting my protein goal (which is hard for me) then my macros end up being 40% fat, 20% protein, and 40% carb. So I focus on my protein intake and the other two tend to fall in line. I'm not losing fast, but I am losing steadily. It's taken me exactly one year to lose 20#'s. It feels slower then molasses, but I still weigh less then I did on Jan. 1 of this year. I do progressive weight lifting 4 days a week and some cardio, but not a lot. You don't HAVE to be LC to lose with PCOS but you do have to accept that your loss will probably be slower. For me, I would rather do something that I know I can stick to (this is fairly easy for me) and lose slower and hopefully have an easier time keeping it off, then to lose faster and not be able to sustain it. Now, if I could just convince my emotions that I don't mind losing slower then I'll be in business! LOL!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There is a pretty broad gap between 150+ g or carbs and keto. I don't think you'd necessarily need to drop to keto levels. That said, people with metabolic syndrome, PCOS, and/or IR do tend to do better when they limit carbs. Though it is not universal. The main thing for weight loss is a calorie deficit. How you get there is up to you. If you find yourself struggling to stay in a deficit while eating a high carb diet, try reducing them to a level where you get appetite control, without the low carb flu (which is temporary, btw, but I can understand if you don't want to bother).
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I have issue with prior over restricting and learning moderation. I agree there's a difference between keto level carbs and 150+. But i consider low carb under 100 and when I'm pretty active I'm hurting at low levels. my big problem is consistently hitting macros without binging. It start stop affect my sleep and energy and instead of either doing a responsible small refeed if needed or adjusting my macros slightly I go all out and it sabotages me.

• RNW14
    RNW14 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, although my insulin resistance is mild. I second what ronjsteele1 said; weight loss is about calorie deficit, but with PCOS the loss is slower if you don't manage your macros (my experience). Small frequent meals (every 3-4hrs) and pairing a carb WITH protein/fat. This what helps me conquer the satiety issue. Once you feel comfortable with this routine you can shift your attention to adjusting your macros. The smartest thing you can do is listen to your body. If you need more carbs or calories, adjust as necessary. It's all about balance and losing the all or nothing attitude. If you falter, pick your self up and dust yourself off. Every day is fresh start :smile:

Robyn
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS with IR and hypothyroid. My metabolism is le slug. While I love carbs, the only way I can consistently maintain a calorie deficit and feel full is by eating lower carb, higher fat. Protein doesn't keep me satiated, but fatty foods (avocado, meat, cheese, eggs, heavy cream) do. I feel best when my carbs are below 100, aiming to be around 50-75. But that's me. You have to play around and find what works for you. If I were you, I'd take some time to figure out what foods you find most satiating, and focus on eating them first at meal times. It may be easier to control portions if you start with what you find most filling, leaving you less desire to overeat.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS over 14 years ago. I lost all of my weight doing nothing but counting calories. I didn't even know what HFLC WAS at that point in time. So you can definitely lose weight without worrying about carbs.
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 2 and try to restrict my carbs but usually end up with 120-ish per day. Probably not the best way to go about things but I had to be honest with myself. Low Carb / Atkins works for me for a while but I needed something long term that I could stick to to lose around 90 lbs over a year's time. I figured that since I knew I would not stick with low carb for the duration, the best route would be for me to lose the weight first. It is working - my fasting sugar started at around 165 each morning before starting the MFP calories in/calories out method, and now sugar is around 90-93 each morning. I have an annual checkup with my general doctor in early January and will get bloodwork then to check my A1C and cholesterol. I'm still taking the full dose of Metformin prescribed. I think something that has helped me a tremendous amount is weight lifting daily. Diabetics need to work their muscles to decrease the extra blood sugar (simplified, but it works for me).

My plan is to lose the weight and get down to the "Normal" BMI for my height, then move into low-carb. For now, I need to concentrate on weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I eat 100-150g carbs. I actually don't have a carb goal, that's just where they land because I focus on protein and fat.

The biggest thing that has helped me lose weight has been a mild to moderate deficit and 45+ minutes of exercise 6 days a week. I am getting more and more convinced that there is a large group of women with PCOS who think they have to cut calories super low or else they won't lose because they forcethemselves into that exact situation by cutting calories extremely, which lowers their NEAT greatly, which effectively decreases their deficits.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the additional responses. Everyone's input is helpful. Nice to know I don't have to do keto but really put focus into what keeps me full. Protein only keeps me full with fat...lean proteins need to have nuts or avocado, cheese in order to satiate me, but any macro alone does nothing for fullness. Will keep experimenting around. Thanks again.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I don't have Pcos, but I eat low carb for Crohn's . Low carb basically means eating 150g or lower, so you don't have to be in ketosis to see results. I eat on average of 100g net carbs, all from veggies and some fruit. I eat more protein and fats to feel satieted. It's helped me manage my symptoms pretty well. The point is whatever diet you choose, it doesn't have to be in the "extremes" if it's not sustainable for you. Good luck to you and your health.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have (had?) PCOS, mild insulin resistance, and high cholesterol and triglycerides. I used to take metformin, Crestor, and Tricor, all of which I'd been on for over 10 years. I've been off all meds for the past year thanks to my weight loss.

I only count calories and protein. However, like everyone else has said, I've found that if I overdo processed carbs, I don't have enough calories left in my daily budget to eat more filling food, and I'll just get hungry quickly. I'm also vegetarian, so many of my best protein sources have more carbs in them than meat would. So I just prefer not to eat simple carbs (white rice, white bread, potatoes, etc.) very often. Most of my carbs come from legumes, fruit, and whole grains. Having said all that, I still have dessert every day--it's just a little bit of dark chocolate now, not a big piece of cake.