Looking For A New Sleep Tracker

Options
CafeRacer808
CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I figured I'd start in Fitness and Exercise.

I'm looking for a new sleep tracker. I started out using Motion X 24/7 which is pretty great (seems accurate, provides detailed analytics). What I didn't like about it is that it's a mobile app that requires placing your phone on your bed at night. Invariably, my phone would end up under my pillows by morning, making my phone really warm/hot when I woke up. I'm not really comfortable with that.

I then started using Sleep Time, which has both on-the-mattress and audio-based sleep tracking. The audio-based approach hasn't been working that well for me - I think my white noise machine is interfering with Sleep Time's accuracy.

So I'm now thinking a wearable sleep tracker is the way to go. Accuracy and detailed analytics (measures awake time, sleep time and deep sleep time) are important to me. Would also be great if it has a feature that gradually wakes you up at an optimal time.

Any suggestions, MFP family?

ETA: I meant Sleep Cycle, not Sleep Time.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like sleep cycle. You can customize the individually controlled trends like what your day was like, exercise, etc. and then it pulls in data like weather, steps and tracks trends.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I like sleep cycle. You can customize the individually controlled trends like what your day was like, exercise, etc. and then it pulls in data like weather, steps and tracks trends.

Sorry, Sleep Cycle (not Sleep Time) is the second app I tried. I love having the weather on the wake up screen but like I said, the audio tracking isn't working as well as I'd thought and I'd prefer not to sleep with my phone on my bed.
  • TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I like my fit bit. But don't know if that fits your
  • TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    needs
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is your objective? None of those trackers actually track your brain activity which is the scientific measure of sleep. Others use surrogate measures like arm movements, audio, etc. If you are concerned about sleep, see a factor about getting a real sleep study done. If the data is meant to serve your curiosity, then the other methods are fine, just so you know what you're getting.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    I like my fit bit. But don't know if that fits your
    I didn't realize FitBits tracked sleep. Which model do you have?
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What is your objective? None of those trackers actually track your brain activity which is the scientific measure of sleep. Others use surrogate measures like arm movements, audio, etc. If you are concerned about sleep, see a factor about getting a real sleep study done. If the data is meant to serve your curiosity, then the other methods are fine, just so you know what you're getting.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the limitations of "off the shelf" sleep trackers. I underwent a sleep study several years ago. I simply want a better idea of what I'm getting each night, including how many times I wake up, how restless or deep my sleep was and for how long, etc. I'll then compare that to my daytime habits to see if there's things I can do to improve my sleep quality. As stated, MotionX's analytics seemed pretty accurate, IMO, but a phone getting hot on my bed makes me uncomfortable.

So, do you have any suggestions you can offer on alternate trackers I should look into, or no?