Wellbutrin Users, did this happen to you?

Options
Started Wellbutrin on Tuesday, 150 XL every day for depression. Yesterday and today, I can't seem to get enough to eat. I thought one of the side effects was appetite suppression, not stimulant lol. It's not an upset stomach, I feel seriously hungry every 2-3 hours. This is far from normal for me. If this happened to you, how long did it last?

Replies

• VainMommy
    VainMommy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you arent depressed anymore and have your appetite back? When I was depressed I never thought of eating but once I started medication I was happy and eating again? Just a thought? :)
  • fitRTs
    fitRTs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I always LOSE my appetite with Wellbutrin. Just recently, express scripts screwed up and didn't get me my meds on time and I ended up having to Go off of it. But I'm back on now and having serious upset stomach and no appetite. It could be affecting you differently. Maybe check with your doctor?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    With most psych meds you need to give it about 3 - 8 weeks to really know how they affect you.

It's only since Tuesday. Hang in there for a little. Keep track of what you eat and if there is a huge difference use that data as evidence for your concerns in your follow up appointment.

Good luck. I hope this med works out for you. Switching around sucks!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    VainMommy wrote: »
    Could it be that you arent depressed anymore and have your appetite back? When I was depressed I never thought of eating but once I started medication I was happy and eating again? Just a thought? :)

I doubt it...OP only started Welbutrin 4-5 days ago, and it takes a few weeks to do it 'magic'. Depression does not get managed that fast.

What is your calorie goal, OP? Also stats (age, current weight, goal weight, height)? Are you moving around more since starting Wellburin?
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I noticed some increased hunger in the first couple of days when I started taking it originally, but eventually it evened out and I don't think it does much for appetite now. I'm on a much higher dose as well. Anything that you think you notice in the first couple of days is also likely to be psychosomatic anyway, so who knows! :)
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Oh, I so wish that were the case. Feeling this way sucks. Unfortunately the meds just don't work that fast. Thanks for the happy thought though.
    fitRTs wrote: »
    I always LOSE my appetite with Wellbutrin. Just recently, express scripts screwed up and didn't get me my meds on time and I ended up having to Go off of it. But I'm back on now and having serious upset stomach and no appetite. It could be affecting you differently. Maybe check with your doctor?
    Thanks for your input. Don't get me started on Express Scripts lol. I'm planning on giving it the 6 weeks until my next appt to see what happens. I didn't care about it being an appetite suppressant or not, but I would have a serious problem with wanting to eat that much every day for the foreseeable future.
    lizery wrote: »
    With most psych meds you need to give it about 3 - 8 weeks to really know how they affect you.

It's only since Tuesday. Hang in there for a little. Keep track of what you eat and if there is a huge difference use that data as evidence for your concerns in your follow up appointment.

Good luck. I hope this med works out for you. Switching around sucks!
    Thanks! Plan on hanging in there. Dr warned me 3-6 weeks before I start to feel better. So I'll wait.

I doubt it...OP only started Welbutrin 4-5 days ago, and it takes a few weeks to do it 'magic'. Depression does not get managed that fast.

What is your calorie goal, OP? Also stats (age, current weight, goal weight, height)? Are you moving around more since starting Wellburin?
    46 yr old female, 147 lbs, playing around at getting to 135.. I don't take it to seriously because it's just vanity weight. But I sure as hell don't want to gain.
    You know, a lot of people said they felt speedy when they started taking it. I was looking forward to that actually, since hyper and happy is my normal. This hopeless, energyless feeling this last couple months is kicking my *kitten*.
    eluvscats wrote: »
    I noticed some increased hunger in the first couple of days when I started taking it originally, but eventually it evened out and I don't think it does much for appetite now. I'm on a much higher dose as well. Anything that you think you notice in the first couple of days is also likely to be psychosomatic anyway, so who knows! :)
    Good to know I'm not the only one and that it should even out. That's what I needed to hear. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It's helped tremendously.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    These medications don't start working right away, it takes several weeks so I don't think thats it. I would stay on the med 2-3 months at least to determine any side effects an to see if they even work for you.
  • dmille2
    dmille2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Carrie? Any updates?
  • kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

This!