New and thinking about weight training- LOOKING FOR OPINIONS

Options
So I want to lose 60kg/132lb and have been doing my research and have found that weight training seems like to best option. I'm wanting to know from people with experience if it will work to lose weight/see results. I understand that a lot of people have gained weight from weight training but that's because they gained muscle so what I'm really asking is if I'm 115kg/253lb will I loose weight and slim still? Or would I be best to look for another method?

Thanks in advance guys and sorry I'm new and trying to start a new chapter of my life so am very inexperienced here.

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    fangurl91 wrote: »
    So I want to lose 60kg/132lb and have been doing my research and have found that weight training seems like to best option. I'm wanting to know from people with experience if it will work to lose weight/see results. I understand that a lot of people have gained weight from weight training but that's because they gained muscle so what I'm really asking is if I'm 115kg/253lb will I loose weight and slim still? Or would I be best to look for another method?

Thanks in advance guys and sorry I'm new and trying to start a new chapter of my life so am very inexperienced here.

You lose weight due to a calorie deficit known as CICO (calories in vs. calories out). To lose the 60kg/132 pounds, you will have to eat less each day than your body needs to reach that goal. Yes, you can lift weights in hopes of maintaining as much muscle mass as possible during that process, but outside of your newbie gains from starting to lift - gaining muscle requires eating at a surplus of calories. The benefits of exercise are worth it, so you can achieve your goals using weight lifting. But the weight loss will come from eating at a deficit.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight regardless of what type of exercise you do. Weight training is beneficial while losing as it helps you retain as much muscle as possible.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you Here's a great thread put together by one of the moderators to help you choose a program
  • FreshStart103
    FreshStart103 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight regardless of what type of exercise you do. Weight training is beneficial while losing as it helps you retain as much muscle as possible.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you Here's a great thread put together by one of the moderators to help you choose a program

Thank you for this. This may be a stupid question (sorry I'm a newbie) but how do I calculate my calorie deficit? Is it included in my calorie goal set by the app (1,300)? Thanks for all the help
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1300 is already a deficit. MFP has taken off 1000 calories (assuming you chose 2 pounds a week with how much you have to lose) from maintenance, meaning they believe you burn 2300 calories a day before exercise.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    IMO, starting your strength training now is an excellent idea. Just remember that anytime you start a new exercise program, you will gain "water weight" as your body adapts to the new exercise. So, don't panic if you see an increase or no loss the first few weeks. It's just water weight masking any loss. It will go away.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Losing weight has nothing to do with whether you lift or don't lift...lifting will help you preserve lean mass though. You lose weight when you consume less energy than you expend...when you do that, your body burns fat to make up for the energy imbalance. Has nothing to do with lifting or not lifting.

I've been in maintenance for over 3.5 years...I lift...I maintain because I consume energy roughly equivalent to what I'm expending...you can lose weight lifting, maintain weight lifting, and gain weight lifting...just depends on how much you're eating, not the lifting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You lift to keep the lean mass you already have and to condition your muscle (you'll burn some calories too). Weight loss is ENTIRELY dependent on energy balance (CICO) so as long as you're in a moderate calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png