Frustrated

libgrl
libgrl Posts: 17 Member
edited December 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi, I've been using MyFitnessPal for many years and feel even when I stay within my calorie range I hardly lose weight. I'm a marathon runner and workout hard everyday. There are times when I don't eat great or stay in my calories like during the holidays, but most of the time I do. I'm trying to lose 15 to 20 lbs. I find it so hard to do that. I'm 5'4" and 140 so not technically overweight, but I don't like the way I look at this weight. Looking for a way to lose without starving myself or working out two hours everyday.

Also looking for active MFP friends for support and motivation.

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Do you life weights? Are you doing the same routine? What is your calorie intake? If your at a healthy weight it's probably going to be harder to lose the weight because our bodies want to stay at that weight.

I would recommend trying yoga if you don't already do it also another fun sport that uses muscles that aren't typically worked is rock climbing. Many places have climbing gyms, I recommend trying out bouldering, it's super fun and holy cow it's gets every muscle.

Without knowing more of your story ( what kind of work outs, type of diet, etc) it's pretty tough to say what's holding you back.

Also it could be something non diet/exercise related such as a thyroid problem or an allergy.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Have you tried weight lifting? Do you eat enough protein? Is it possible you need more of a deficit?
  • libgrl
    libgrl Posts: 17 Member
    Hi, I was actually thinking about looking into rock climbing. I have done a lot of weight lifting in the past. I did almost the whole body beast program and while I definitely gained muscle, I didn't lose much. I do weight lift once or twice a week now mixed in with five or six mile runs every other day and have been doing the Insanity workouts every other day. I think I do need to do more strength training. So hard to balance and find time for it all. I possibly also need to reevaluate my diet. I'm in IT so I sit most of day and try to get as much activity as possible when I'm not working, but I'm sure the sitting does not help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member
    Well it's all about calories, so if you aren't losing you're eating too much.

Eat less.

I mean, you are good on the fitness side; you just are eating too much.

Why do you think that is?

Have you adjusted your intake down?

Do you weigh and measure and LOG everything you eat?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Yeah time to tighten up your tracking & possibly reevaluate your daily calorie goal.

Do try to hit that protein & fiber goal too- getting enough protein helps with preserving muscle and prioritizing body fat loss while in a deficit. And getting enough fiber helps with satiety & digestion, and for me I naturally make better food choices when I'm focused on trying to get enough fiber.

Try not to exceed your sugar limit too, unless it's coming from fruit.
  • slong12041989
    slong12041989 Posts: 21 Member
    You mentioned having an office job... Bring in an exercise ball to sit on or see if you could have a stand up desk set up. The exercise ball helps with posture, your balance and core, and as long as you get the right size for your height it is pretty comfortable. Try taking a stroll or going up and down the stairs on your lunch breaks too. Fitting in little things here and there throughout your day may help give you the extra boost you're needing!
  • courtneyfabulous
    I love my Varidesk- it's adjustable and sits on top of your existing desk- you put it up to stand and back down to sit. It can be adjusted to any standing height and goes up & down very easily.