December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Got measured and bike will be set up according to builders guidelines according to my sizes initially, then I'll see how I will cope and make adjustments accordingly

Super excited, will also buy clothes on Friday, I don't think I can recycle running clothes right?

But.... It's been 11 years since my last ride! You think I'll still be able to cycle? My plan is to come home, lock in my garage and try it first without locking shoes, then try the locking mechanism, then go out and hope really hope I won't fall down in front of people :smiley:

Looks nice! You can do it! The falling will happen when you first start out with the locking shoes. At least it has with everyone I know. It usually happens when you are stopping, starting or just standing waiting to go. That's because it is just hard to get used to unclipping them. After a few weeks, you don't even think about it. Hopefully you are in a bike-friendly city.
    Enjoy!

@patrikc333 I be fallen several times on my bike. It's always in front of people. Just try to fall in the grass and not hurt your bike!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)
    12/5: 6.8k
    12/6: 6.8k intervals
    12/7: 2.1k (as a warmup for strength training)
    12/9: 10.2k (easy run, quad testing)
    12/10: 8.7k (intervals)
    12/11: 6k
    12/13: 2k treadmill (leg test)
    12/14: 10.1k beach running
    12/17: 6.1k easy+strides

68.2/120k

Shakeout run before the 10k race tomorrow.

Take care all!

Races:
    12/18: Tour of Drama 10k
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date:: :::: Miles:::: Dec total (goal = 80)
    12/01/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    12/03/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    12/04/16 :::: 6.0 :::: 11.8
    12/05/16 :::: 3.3 :::: 15.0
    12/06/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 17.4
    12/07/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 19.8
    12/08/16 :::: 3.7 :::: 23.5
    12/09/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.5
    12/10/16 :::: 7.0 :::: 30.5
    12/11/16 :::: 3.5 :::: 34.0
    12/12/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 34.0
    12/13/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 36.7
    12/14/16 :::: 2.5 :::: 39.1
    12/15/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 39.1
    12/16/16 :::: 4.0 :::: 43.2
    12/17/16 :::: 6.3 :::: 49.5

Yeah, some unpleasant winter running here this morning too. Trudging through the snow was HARD. I tried out my new Saucony Ride with GoreTex shoes and they worked well. My toes did get a bit wet and cold by the very end but it was much improved over regular shoes.

Managed to get 90 minutes in and now I can have pizza!

Here's a shot of some of us in the pelting icy snow. I'm the foreground on the left, taking the selfie with a couple of my Y running buddies in their flourescents following.
    alzsfa1r5nuf.jpg
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    How do you guys can run with such awful weather??
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 awesome job! You smashed your PR! Really great run, just amazing.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift, @MNLittleFinn , @katharmonic & other winter runners I forgot.. oh my gosh. Can't imagine running in those temps! Although I guess I better start imagining it since I'm headed to NYC the end of the month.

@louubelle16 -- amazing time!!! Congrats! I've not heard of a HM where you run around the same 1 mile 13 times! Sounds ... I don't know ... strange. But it worked for you!!!

@orphia - my Garmin Fenix is SO stingy with calories. I never looked at my FB calories, but I used Strava and Endomondo and all 3 of them give different burns. Endomondo is the most generous, followed by Strava and last Garmin. It adjusted my heart rates for me and I think they are not in the right zones, so I need to look at it one day.

Today was a 44 mile bike ride followed by a 1 mile run for streak. That mile was the hardest one I've done for the streak, because unlike you all in the cold, it is HOT down here today. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse!

12/1 - 3.2 miles
    12/2 - 1.5 miles
    12/3 - 45 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/4 - 27 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/5 - 4 miles
    12/6 - 4 miles
    12/7 - 1 mile on treadmill for streak (after strength training)
    12/8 - 4.47 miles
    12/9 - 1 mile on treadmill for streak (after strength training)
    12/10 - 77 miles bike and 1 mile run for streak!
    12/11 - 27 miles biking and 1 mile run for streak
    12/12 - 4 miles
    12/13 - 5 miles
    12/14 - 2.1 miles - day 21 streak + strength training
    12/15 - 4.5 miles
    12/16 - 1.5 miles
    12/17 = 44 miles biking + 1 mile run

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles
    12/3: 3.15 miles (m)
    12/4: Rest Day
    12/5: 5 miles (2 + 3 treadmill)
    12/6: 4 miles (m)
    12/7: 4 miles
    12/8: 4.35 miles (m)
    12/9: Rest Day
    12/10: 3.5 miles
    12/11: 5 miles (m)
    12/12: 4 miles
    12/13: 4 miles (m)
    12/14: 5 miles (m)
    12/15: 4 miles (m)
    12/16: Rest Day
    12/17: 3 miles (m)

My Total/December: 55 miles
    Mike's Total: 33 miles

Holy cow! Temps back up in the mid 70s this morning with about 90% humidity. I don't know how I am going to manage this when summer rolls around, but one thing at a time. Forecast for tomorrow is back down into the 40s so too much heat isn't anything to worry about yet. Other than the warm weather, it was an uneventful short run this morning. I am always so tight after a rest day. It seems to take me a day or two to get back into it when I take a day off. We are shooting for a long run tomorrow, but we will see how it goes. I am not really putting pressure on, but I am going to set my watch to monitor pace rather than distance and try to keep it slow and easy and see how far we get. I'll be pleased with any distance over 5 miles or so.

@louubelle16 Congrats on your HM! Nice going!

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    They are Ice Beasts. Just a little bit crazier from the rest of us, er them.. :smiley: or they are running junkies!
    Both of these apply to me
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 - congrats on what sounds like a great run, and fantastic PB.

Thanks also for the detail about the event - been debating between this event and the Windsor HM for my first HM race so good to have the info. May go for dedicated HM race for now until I'm more practiced in race environments, as suspect my pace would be all over the shop with all those different runners and races going on! Well done keeping your focus with all that going on.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    3 Ladies and one Guerilla (me) were the only runners out this morning for what is traditionally Long Run Day - all the others stayed Home " to cold they said ". We said WUS'es . Of course being Smart Runners we did modify our plan to a shorty 3km - 19 mins of hiding from the wind in the trees.
    The ambient temperature is a balmy -22C but with the Warm Pacific air heading our way it meant a nasty West wind - so the wind chill factor was -42C. Last night was -31C and wind chill was at -37C. So even though the ambient temperature was higher the net effect was for a very miserable morning. Actually have a 2nd afternoon run planned for 10km ( when it's warmer ) but just had to get out so we could " Hassle our club members " ;)

@kristinegift LOL at your "GROSS, GROSS, I HATE WINTER, GROSS <<< How I felt about today's run" But you got it done!!! Nice Car!!! I can see the Frozen Ice Drops on the windows - Nasty stuff to run in.
    @MNLittleFinn Nicely done - No frost bite - no lashiciles so its all good. That's called practise for the Arctic HM.
    @katharmonic Great Photo
    Winter Warriors all of you.^^^^^
    @louubelle16 Busting a PB :) . Never ran on a Course with such a short 1 mile loop. We have a Hypothermic HM we do where it is modified Figure 8 with a 6.55km loop, but at 5km you run past the start/finish area for a small 0.775km loop that brings you back past the start/finish area. The first time around the Figure 8 loop isn't bad but the 2nd time around when you pass the start finish is just brutal as all you want to do is turn in and run across the timing mats.
    @NikolaosKey How do we run in such cold weather. Like anything in life a little Planning-Preparation goes a long way to making it enjoyable-survival able, or as it has been said " Embrace the Suck" . Really it is all about layering the appropriate Clothes, Socks, Gloves/Mitts(shoes) and a good run plan so you minimize you exposure to the head winds. A cross wind is still tough but so much easier than a headwind. A tail wind on the home ward leg is the best plan.
    @Elise4270 Yes we are all Beast's and Junkies. I think running in Heat is harder than running in the cold. But I may be biased. Tomorrow is the Jingle Jog - Santa's Anonymous and Food Bank donations.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @juliet3455 Nice job getting out there and getting it done! About lachiciles, I was wipiing them off as I ran, I even had a nosecile at one point, but it was nasty! Picture was after I was inside for a couple minutes, had to fins my phone. It was a good run. Yours just sounded nasty, great job getting out there and running in those conditions.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 - amazing job! Way to go! I also can't imagine running that loop over and over, but it obviously worked for you. Impressive!

@juliet3455 great job to you to in the extreme cold. -42F wind chill, I can't imagine. We were struggling with our head wind and it was only a +9F wind chill. I was so relieved to turn around for the way back. I agree that it's mostly about preparation and layering. And that I do better with this than the extreme heat.

I took Stella out for a hike after I got warmed up again and conditions were much nicer. I really wished I had XC skis because the trail by my house was perfect for it. Next week I have my first XC ski experience/lesson so maybe I will end up buying some very soon!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Fantastic job on smashing that HM PR!!!

--

Today's early AM run was a lot warmer...in the 50s, making for a really nice fast-paced run. Tomorrow is supposed to be down in the low single digits with the wind chill, and unlike everyone one else here (seemingly), I'm a complete and total wuss when it comes to the cold, so there'll be no more running this weekend from me; time to schedule some weight work instead!

02 - 11.77 miles
    03 - 5.39
    04 - 5.33
    05 - 11.30
    07 - 12.78
    09 - 13.94
    10 - 4.19
    12 - 10.32
    14 - 12.64
    16 - 12.43
    17 - 5.33

Total: 105.42 / 125
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    @louubelle16 - congrats on what sounds like a great run, and fantastic PB.

Thanks also for the detail about the event - been debating between this event and the Windsor HM for my first HM race so good to have the info. May go for dedicated HM race for now until I'm more practiced in race environments, as suspect my pace would be all over the shop with all those different runners and races going on! Well done keeping your focus with all that going on.

I would say that's a good idea. It was my 6th HM and I still found it quite challenging with all the other runners around doing different things, having to remember to count your laps etc. It was a great race, and so much Christmassy fun, but not an ideal first HM. There are some great ones in the South East though, so I'm sure you'll find one you like.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So, I had my HM this morning and absolutely smashed it!
    That's SO awesome!