December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Virkati That's wonderful. Congrats!

@katharmonic I did snowshoeing for the first time last year, and it was way harder than I thought. We went up on the mountain, so it was hiking, not running, but still tough. Glad you enjoyed it!

@juliet3455 Haha about all your snow shovels. I'm originally from Calgary, AB, and always get a kick out of people here in Vancouver. Almost everyone puts snow tires on here (almost unheard of in Calgary) and yet we only get snow for a few days every year (or none at all). I remember those frozen eyelashes from my childhood. No balaclava can help you with that. I can't imagine running in that kind of cold. I felt like a warrior yesterday in the little snow and just below freezing temps haha. Good on ya!

@Stoshew71 Sorry you were disappointed. You're a superstar to me!

@Elise4270 That is an awesome photo. Your cat is the sweetest and most adorable ever. Make sure to invite us all to your first concerto!

Well, all our snow turned to slush and I went for a walk in it last night, not to be repeated today. No fun. So I ran circles in my house. Garmin estimated my pace, etc., as if I were on a treadmill. Pretty neat.

12:11 - 1.26 miles

Total: 13 / 40
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Went out for a mid-length trail run today. It was warmer today than it has been for the past week - 30's. Still, I thought it felt cold so I really bundled up. Too much. Was super sweaty and very hot. Lost some of what I could, but wasn't going to remove my coat because I would have just had to carry it. Not practical. So I ended up walking a lot of it. Also broke the strap on my phone armband. Not a great run.

I think I might need a running backpack so I can add or remove layers and have a place to put them. Every pack I've used has always just bounced against my back with every step - very annoying. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hey @Virkati !! Nice going!!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    4 km with the Winter Warriors Today. A picture of 3 of us. Note the Eye Lash Icicles and Frost Moustaches.
    The only thing this Georgia boy can say is, "DAY-YUM!" I *cannot* imagine running in those kinds of conditions.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options

12/2-3miles
    12/3-3miles
    12/4-3miles
    12/5-1mile
    12/7-4 miles
    12/10-3 miles
    12/11-4 miles

Total-21 miles
    Goal-50 miles
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    bmelb1 wrote: »
    I'm having trouble finding head gear that can block the wind to protect my ears. I've tried a few different head bands, some fleece lined, and the wind just whips right through them. What do other people use to protect their ears in windy weather? I was thinking of trying ear muffs but I'm worried they may not stay in place with the bouncing around of running and they won't protect my forehead. Any suggestions would be welcome...
    @bmelb1 Not sure where you live or what stores you have available. If you look back at my picture today you can see me in the Flourescent Yellow Coat. I use a 2 part system - a neck tube that can be pulled up over the bottom of my ears and mouth, if required. The 2nd part is a wicking Beanie toque with mini earflaps built in. Here are some examples from MEC. Also the neck Tube and Beanie are commonly available at Industrial clothing retailers such as Marks Work Wearhouse in Canada.
    la7i2960zmyf.png

u7q0i8yt327a.png

Okay so I couldn't resist adding in a few Funky-Funny hats such as the Elmer Fudd Special.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Update: 18.5/50
    6.24mi in 58:01 (9:17 avg). It was a decent run, but my pacing was horrible.Started out with a 9:54. I didn't think or feel that I was speeding up. Back to the treadmill this week.

Going to have to catch up on the blog tomorrow.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    A tip for those new to running in cold weather: They say you should dress for 20 degrees warmer than it is, but I know that's hard to do when it's really cold out. Instead, figure out how long it takes you to warm up (about a mile for me) and then plan an initial loop of that same distance so when you get warmed up, you can just drop off your extra layers at home or at your vehicle and finish out the rest of your run. If it's really cold, I prefer to keep that extra layer with me in case I get hurt and can't continue to run. That would suck.

@MNLittleFinn I think you made the right choice.
    @Calvin2008Brian I've only been to one ESTRS race, May of this year. I was signed up for 3, but my son's soccer game and his trap shooting tournament got in the way of going to the other two. I'm hopeful of going to three this year though, perhaps one of which I'll volunteer. Storkamp puts on a first class race for sure! I don't know him personally but he comes off as such as humble, personable guy. I'm hoping to enter one or two of his ultras in 2018. It just didn't time out well for 2017.
    @NikolaosKey I don't recall if you've told us before. What country are you in?
    @MNLittleFinn your'e mention of possibly going for another PR at the 5K reminded me that on one of my long trail runs, I decided seriously train for a 5K this summer or perhaps the one our church puts on in September. I've raced the route now 4 times and know how to deal with the long gradual hill at the end, and being in front of others from our church gives me a lot of motivation to do well. I also think this summer I may try to go for a PR in the 10K and the HM. My 10K PR was less than 3 months after I started running and I've smashed that time just in training runs, so it's just a matter of doing it. For the HM PR that was 6 months after I started running so that should be easily beatable as well. This HM in January holds promise *if* the roads aren't slippery.
    @juliet3455 great lash cicles!!
    @MobyCarp, good advice about experimenting with different types of races.
    @OSUbuckeye906 one thing to keep in mind is that, just like a mile on the trail, a mile through snow counts for more than a mile on dry pavement. How much more is tough to say. If a person is strictly measuring a run by the distance, I can see how it could get frustrating, but if you measure it by effort level, you're getting more out of running in the snow. Another thing I LOVE about running in the snow is that because of the slipping and sliding, you're using a lot more muscles, or using them in different ways, than dry pavement running. This gives you a more well rounded run, helps your balance, and makes you a stronger runner.
    @kristinegift glad the new shoes are working out for you, great price too!
    @Stoshew71 sorry your race didn't turn out the way you wanted. I have no doubt you'll use this as a springboard to future success.
    @RunsOnEspresso I thought of you today after my run. I ended up at a Caribou Coffee, which is a local coffee chain. I like how that worked out!
    @bmelb1 I think wind is a much bigger issue than low temps in the winter. Let's say you run at a 12:00 min/mile pace, or 5 MPH. If the wind is blowing 10 mph, then it feels like 5 mph when it's at your back, but 15 mph when it's in your face. And you have to be dressed for both conditions. My solution is zippers. When I run with the wind, I'm unzipping my jacket and my half-zip tops. Against the wind I zip them backup. I'll also take off my buff or hat (or otherwise reduce my covering) with the wind. Since I sweat so much I'll usually also carry a backup buff to swap out when the first one gets too wet. 28 kph winds in the winter are no joke. A strong breeze will keep me inside more than low temps. Now if it's a still day, you're 12:00 min/mile pace means you're facing 5 mph winds no matter which direction your run. Much easier to regulate temperature. As far as head gear, I usually wear a thin buff as a base, and if I need more a fleece-line beanie type hat. I love buffs because they're very versatile for adapting to different conditions. I can wear them as a hat, head band of various widths, and as a neck gator.
    @katharmonic I've never ran in snowshoes but many people here do that, and there are even snowshoe races. Seems like a great, fun workout but I think I'd be in big trouble if I started buying snowshoes.
    @virkati, way to go!!! Glad to see you back to running!
    @RunRachelleRun even in Minnesota I don't know of anyone who puts snow tires on. 30 or 40 years ago it seems like they were more popular.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Sorry to be a pain, does anyone have a link to Amazon for a good chemical warmer?

My first road bike will be ready on Friday, I'm so looking forward to it! I moved to a different country and I'm missing my wonderful parks, scenarios for runs are quite boring and ground is flat here, on the contrary there are a milion beautiful places to cycle. Plus I'm concerned one day I'll pay the price of running a lot everyday, so I want to do some cross training

@patrikc333 Have fun on Friday!

Here's a link to the hand warmers I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Hands-Hand-Warmers-Pack/dp/B01MQ26W2I?th=1&psc=1
  • Orphia
    Options
    01 Dec – 6.2 km Lake Wendouree
    03 Dec – 5.4 km including Albert Melbourne parkrun with my nephew
    04 Dec – 21.2 km Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon 2:07:59.4
    07 Dec – 5.8 km
    08 Dec – 4.3 km jog to Body Balance
    09 Dec – 4.2 km
    10 Dec – 2.6 km
    11 Dec – 10 km
    12 Dec – 6.8 km

Total: 66.8 km

Goals:
    Merry Fitmas Exercise Challenge (12WBT Runners Connect FB Group): 30 minutes of exercise every day in December.

Brooks North Pole Run Club Challenge (Strava): Run 6 hrs over 12 days from December 5 - December 16.

I may be addicted to Strava. I'm doing the Brooks challenge even though I'm not a US resident, so I'm not eligible for the prizes. I just want the Strava trophy. :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Options
    Just looking at my certificate for last Sunday's HM.

54th out of 123 in my age category (40-49), and I'm 49. :smile:
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 I live in Greece its like mini spring here and its not normal. And OMG, that is ALOT of snow and amazing xmas tree you created!!!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - LOVE the picture and the tree!
    @Stoshew71 - Yes you are right, most of us would kill to have that time. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted, but we are still proud of you!
    @ariceroni- congratulations on finishing your course work!!!
    @juliet3455 - oh my gosh - I can't imagine running in those temps with eyelashes full of ice! My streak would end!
    @orphia - you get to move up to a new group next year!!

Busy weekend and no time to check in till now - and not much time this morning. Saturday my husband and I did our normal Saturday ride but decided to add on to it, for 77. It was really hard because the wind kicked up the last half. Where we normally would be going 18-20, at one point I was going 12-13! Just couldn't do it. We were both so sore afterwards and when I did my run I think I looked like a 90 year old woman trying to run. But the next day (Sunday) I was fine! Had a nice run this morning. Temps were a little higher than they have been but no humidity, so it was great.

12/1 - 3.2 miles
    12/2 - 1.5 miles
    12/3 - 45 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/4 - 27 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/5 - 4 miles
    12/6 - 4 miles
    12/7 - 1 mile on treadmill for streak (after strength training)
    12/8 - 4.47 miles
    12/9 - 1 mile on treadmill for streak (after strength training)
    12/10 - 77 miles bike and 1 mile run for streak!
    12/11 - 27 miles biking and 1 mile run for streak
    12/12 - 4 miles

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Love the tree. That is true dedication to the Sport and the Season!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Awesome tree!!!

Today's progress report:

02 - 11.77 miles
    03 - 5.39
    04 - 5.33
    05 - 11.30
    07 - 12.78
    09 - 13.94
    10 - 4.19
    12 - 10.32

Total: 75.02 / 125
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/6- 5.01
    12/7- 3.01
    12/8- 8.04
    12/9- 5.0
    12/10- 11.0
    12/11- Rest
    12/12- 5.21

Total: 563.64

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: Treadmill intervals. I've learned that I definitely need to go by either the TM or my Garmin, not try to match the two. My coach had today's intervals set up for 3x1600m at 6.4 on the TM. 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. My Garmin had some funky differences on my splits, but I'll chalk that up to the TM not necessarily being right on for distance.

After the run was:
    25 swings
    1 minute plank
    25 swings
    1 minute plank
    20 rows (left arm)
    1 minute plank
    20 rows (right arm)

First set of swings was with a 10# kettlebell, second set was with 15. I may need to bring my kettlebell though, since that felt too light. Was supposed to do 10 minutes of burpees 30sec work/30sec rest, but ran out of time. Can't say I felt too bad about that, the rest of the workout was good.