December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui - I love sea slugs! They are so beautiful when they move through the water! That is the biggest one I have ever seen though!
    @Virkati - welcome back to the world of runners! We have missed you!
    @bmelb1- if you are in the US you might check out REI. They have lots of different kinds of headgear. Also Buff makes the 'tubes' similar to the ones @juliet3455 mentioned in all kinds of fabrics. They are intended to be worn differently depending on the conditions and what you need at the moment - you can wear them as headgear, sweat/headbands or around your neck to keep warm. They are also available online.
    @7lenny7 - love your snowy scene and the Christmas tree run! That is pretty awesome!
    @lporter229 - thanks for the reminder on hydration!
    @dkabambe - that is hilarious about your running app!
    @kristinegift - Congratulations on your new car!
    @ariceroni - beautiful picture but it still looks awfully cold!

I had a great little run this afternoon after not feeling well this morning. I hadn't run all weekend either so in a fit of stress I headed out this afternoon and it was So Good! It was pretty cool out (low 60s and overcast) and I pretty much had the trail all to myself. I hadn't intended to go quite so fast or so far but it felt so great I had a hard time slowing it down. Besides my HR averaged only 105 and only got up to 123. When I got home (at 4.5 miles) I realized I had forgotten to pick up Hobbes' poop bag and of course he didn't remind me :) so I had to run back to get it.
    I only have 2 races scheduled in the next few months and one of those is this weekend. I am thinking about signing up for San Francisco (1st Half) and running over the Golden Gate bridge again. It isn't until July though so I may also look for a spring race.

There is no way I will hit my 1500 mile goal for the year but I will make 1200 miles this week and if I stay on track for my goal this month I will pass 2000KMs for the year - double the MapMyRun challenge I an in!

Date........Miles.....Total
    12/01......0.00......0.00 - + Rally
    12/02......4.30......4.30
    12/03......0.00......4.30
    12/04......3.62......7.92
    12/05......6.23....14.15 - Birthday run + Agility
    12/06......4.53....18.68 - + Strength Training
    12/07......0.00....18.68
    12/08......5.91....24.59 - + Strength Training and Rally
    12/09......9.35....33.94 - + Rally Trial
    12/10......0.00....33.94
    12/11......0.00....33.94
    12/12......5.07....39.01 - + Agility

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!) - CANCELED!!

12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »

@Elise4270 Anxiously awaiting the YouTube concert

I have twinkle twinkle nearly down. :wink:

Three days back to work and I'm starting to get sore achy pain again. Think I'll see if I can burn some vacation with half days over the next month to ease back into it.

Really miss running... maybe I can work in a swim.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    12/1: 6 miles with Pacers crew +lifting
    12/2: 2 miles
    12/3: 8 miles with the Saturday crew
    12/4: 5.3 miles on trails +lifting
    12/5: 6 miles
    12/6: 2 miles + lifting
    12/7: 6 miles
    12/8: 6 miles + lifting
    12/9: 1 mile
    12/10: 13.1 miles
    12/11: 4.6 miles on trails
    12/12: 2 miles + lifting
    12/13: 6.1 miles

A very dark, very foggy, very rural 6 miles for a group run this morning. I haven't done this route in ages, but because it's so dark and there's construction near the tow path, we only do the back half (read; the hilliest parts) and do an out and back. The first half was torture, the second half was surprisingly hard trying not to fly downhill and break a leg. Great way to start the day though!

mdq4b4prka4h.png
    Look at that hill!! First two miles had almost 270 feet of gain, according to Strava.

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8/17: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18/17: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile option
    3/12/17: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18/17: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    4/1/17: NJ Ultra Fest HM (trail, maybe)
    4/9/17: Rutgers UNITE HM (maybe)
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    patrikc333 wrote: »

My first road bike will be ready on Friday, I'm so looking forward to it! I moved to a different country and I'm missing my wonderful parks, scenarios for runs are quite boring and ground is flat here, on the contrary there are a milion beautiful places to cycle. Plus I'm concerned one day I'll pay the price of running a lot everyday, so I want to do some cross training

Awesome! What kind of bike? Did you get a fitting? Here in Florida it is a big thing to get your bike fitted by a person who has been to fitting classes and knows all about it. The guy that did mine measured all these angles and lengths of arms/legs/stride/ who knows what else. I love my bike! It fits me perfectly. He had to change out the stem and handlebars, which sounds expensive but it really wasn't. Something about the width of my shoulders and my reach, IDK. I think you will love mixing up the two sports. I thought I was going to be amazing biking because of all my running (which is nothing compared to your distance), but it turns out, it uses different muscles and it took quite a while for me to get really fast. And at first, I kept getting weird pains after biking. I used the foam roller a lot on my IT band at first. Now the two sports just seem to complement each other. Good luck!

The other thing that can be difficult is getting a saddle that doesn't make you sore. Yeah, saddle sores are a real thing. Both my husband and I have gotten them.... no fun! I tried out about 5 expensive saddles (just borrowed from the store) and couldn't find any I liked. Then my cousin gave me a $30 saddle and I love it. Been using it for over a year and no problems. For short rides most saddles will do, but once you start doing 50+ miles the saddle is really important.

Pretty much this one
    https://www.bianchiusa.com/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_YMBA6T1J_01_Impulso_Tiagra_celeste_3abc4aae66.jpg

I went to a friend of my uncle, so a person I can trust as I'm completely ignorant about cycling (and that's where the fun will begin!)

Got measured and bike will be set up according to builders guidelines according to my sizes initially, then I'll see how I will cope and make adjustments accordingly

Super excited, will also buy clothes on Friday, I don't think I can recycle running clothes right?

But.... It's been 11 years since my last ride! You think I'll still be able to cycle? My plan is to come home, lock in my garage and try it first without locking shoes, then try the locking mechanism, then go out and hope really hope I won't fall down in front of people :smiley:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Beautiful morning here. It was 57F but no humidity so it was perfect. Tomorrow is lifting and 1 mile for streak.

12/1 - 3.2 miles
    12/2 - 1.5 miles
    12/3 - 45 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/4 - 27 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/5 - 4 miles
    12/6 - 4 miles
    12/7 - 1 mile on treadmill for streak (after strength training)
    12/8 - 4.47 miles
    12/9 - 1 mile on treadmill for streak (after strength training)
    12/10 - 77 miles bike and 1 mile run for streak!
    12/11 - 27 miles biking and 1 mile run for streak
    12/12 - 4 miles
    12/13 - 5 miles #RWRunStreakDay20

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/6- 5.01
    12/7- 3.01
    12/8- 8.04
    12/9- 5.0
    12/10- 11.0
    12/11- Rest
    12/12- 5.21
    12/13- 5.01

Total: 68.64

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: When I saw the -13 on my home thermometer, I realized that I made the right decision talking to my coach and setting up a treadmill run for today in lieu of running my 5 outside. There was just something about running in those temps with no sun that just didn't seem all that nice.

Today's run was 5 miles with treadmill set at 3% incline, runing speeds of 5.8, 6.2, 5.9, 6.3, 6.0. I was pretty fried by the end. Tomorrow's treadmill hill interval should be interesting.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Got measured and bike will be set up according to builders guidelines according to my sizes initially, then I'll see how I will cope and make adjustments accordingly

Super excited, will also buy clothes on Friday, I don't think I can recycle running clothes right?

But.... It's been 11 years since my last ride! You think I'll still be able to cycle? My plan is to come home, lock in my garage and try it first without locking shoes, then try the locking mechanism, then go out and hope really hope I won't fall down in front of people :smiley:

Looks nice! You can do it! The falling will happen when you first start out with the locking shoes. At least it has with everyone I know. It usually happens when you are stopping, starting or just standing waiting to go. That's because it is just hard to get used to unclipping them. After a few weeks, you don't even think about it. Hopefully you are in a bike-friendly city.
    Enjoy!

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 If you are still looking for a non-bouncing backpack: I have the Salomon Agile backpack - both the 7 litre version (enough for a 1.5l hydration pouch, a jacket, some tissues and gels, whatever I feel I might need on a long run), and the 12 litre version (when I want to combine a run with grocery shopping or for some more serious trails where I want to have more stuff like a small first aid kit/more clothes/food/whatever with me). I read some reviews that complain about the fact that there aren't many different sub-pockets on the inside, but that doesn't bother me. They also have an even larger version - but there's a limit to how much stuff I want to carry with me on a run ;)

And I have one other (much cheaper) backpack that's okay too. The first one I bought, a few years ago. It is a little more bouncy than the Salomon ones, so for extra clothes it's fine, but I wouldn't like carrying heavy water bottles around in it. Plus I only found it on amazon.co.uk, not on the US site, so it's probably out for you anyway.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have twinkle twinkle nearly down. :wink:

After that you can work on the A-B-C song

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 If you are still looking for a non-bouncing backpack: I have the Salomon Agile backpack - both the 7 litre version (enough for a 1.5l hydration pouch, a jacket, some tissues and gels, whatever I feel I might need on a long run), and the 12 litre version (when I want to combine a run with grocery shopping or for some more serious trails where I want to have more stuff like a small first aid kit/more clothes/food/whatever with me). I read some reviews that complain about the fact that there aren't many different sub-pockets on the inside, but that doesn't bother me. They also have an even larger version - but there's a limit to how much stuff I want to carry with me on a run ;)

And I have one other (much cheaper) backpack that's okay too. The first one I bought, a few years ago. It is a little more bouncy than the Salomon ones, so for extra clothes it's fine, but I wouldn't like carrying heavy water bottles around in it. Plus I only found it on amazon.co.uk, not on the US site, so it's probably out for you anyway.

Thank you! I notice the 12 has a lower 2nd strap as well, which would seem like it will help with the bounce.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 Cool! A bike fitting sounds really professional, I just got a used bike in what I hoped was the right frame size and then spent a bit of time messing around with handle bar and saddle position until I was happy...
    If you are worried about not having cycled for so long, and the locking shoes: you can try out the bike in regular shoes first, so that you only have to worry about one thing at a time, if that makes it easier for you. (I actually don't use the bike shoes for short everyday rides - I can't walk in the bike shoes, and I don't want to carry a second pair with me and change back and forth all the time - imagine going back home from work and stopping at the supermarket, and changing shoes all the time! I've got a more bike-enthusiastic colleague who keep telling me that "you absolutely can not do such a thing", but I still haven't figured out why he's objecting so strongly against it.)
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Still working on slowing down my pace for easy and long runs. Also, I was going through my training schedule and came across something towards the end that I don't understand. Can someone explain the red part for me? Not the warmup and cool down but the heck does the 5 X 3 mins supposed to mean?

zzquyunldtfl.png
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Feeling really low today - hope just tiredness, though suspect its more. Forced myself out for a mile just to keep the streak going but even that was hard work. Hopefully have a chilled evening then start again tomorrow.

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
    7-Dec: 3.1k TM
    8-Dec: 5.3k easy
    9-Dec: 12.6k easy
    10-Dec: 2k short run
    11-Dec: 11k - 10k tempo plus warm-up
    12-Dec: 8.2k easy
    13-Dec: 1.8k streak run
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    exercise.png

Still working on slowing down my pace for easy and long runs. Also, I was going through my training schedule and came across something towards the end that I don't understand. Can someone explain the red part for me? Not the warmup and cool down but the heck does the 5 X 3 mins supposed to mean?

zzquyunldtfl.png

Read it as 5 x (3 mins @ 8:09... , 2 min slow jog)
    Basically means run for 5 minutes at the suggested pace then 2 minutes slow jog, and repeat all of that 5 times. You're basically supposed to be doing 5 quick intervals and a 2 minute jog to recover in between each one.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

zzquyunldtfl.png

I think it means 5 times, run for 3 min. at 8:09 to 8:19 pace with 2 min. jogging in between.

In other words:
    1 mile warm-up
    3 min. run at 8:09 to 8:19 pace (1)
    2 min. slow jogging
    3 min. run at 8:09 to 8:19 pace (2)
    2 min. slow jogging
    3 min. run at 8:09 to 8:19 pace (3)
    2 min. slow jogging
    3 min. run at 8:09 to 8:19 pace (4)
    2 min. slow jogging
    3 min. run at 8:09 to 8:19 pace (5)
    1 mile cool down
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5.35 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    12/2 - 5 miles. Pleasant for December, about 35°
    12/3 - Bodypump class, then 2.25 miles on treadmill
    12/4 - Planned rest day.
    12/5 - 5.11 miles avoiding slippery spots.
    12/6 - Bodypump class, then 2.3 miles on treadmill.
    12/7 - 4 miles on the 'mill.
    12/8 - 4.6 more 'mill miles (Trek class was full...so I had to run solo)
    12/9 - Unplanned rest day.
    12/10 - 2.3 miles on the treadmill, then Bodypump.
    12/11 - 4.5 'mill miles.
    12/12 - Rest day.
    12/13 - Bodypump, then 2.25 miles on treadmill.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    Can someone explain the red part for me? Not the warmup and cool down but the heck does the 5 X 3 mins supposed to mean?

zzquyunldtfl.png

@dkabambe and @midwesterner85 nailed it. It's an interval worcout with sets of hard running and recovery.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 Sorry going back to work isn't easy :( I think if you can play Twinkle, Twinkle, you will definitely be able to play the ABC song! Hehe. @7lenny7 is always a comedian :-p

@kristinegift That elevation sounds painful!

My knee is being awful cranky after doing a light/low impact cardio workout last night. Dang. I really think I might have screwed up my knee 2 weeks ago, that night I was kneeling down and then stood up and it hurt. Maybe I've torn something. I dunno. And I have no time to deal with that. I guess if it still hurts after the 3 weeks off running and our Mayo trip, I'll have to get myself to a Dr :(
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    The good news: I feel somewhat better this morning. I also rolled my sore calf last night on a makeshift foam roller (it was a toy bowling pin made out of hard foam), and today it feels much better. So I'm hoping to get a few miles in tonight. Best not to overdo it, but I am falling behind in miles to reach my goal in time.