December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @midwesterner85 If you are still looking for a non-bouncing backpack: I have the Salomon Agile backpack - both the 7 litre version (enough for a 1.5l hydration pouch, a jacket, some tissues and gels, whatever I feel I might need on a long run), and the 12 litre version (when I want to combine a run with grocery shopping or for some more serious trails where I want to have more stuff like a small first aid kit/more clothes/food/whatever with me). I read some reviews that complain about the fact that there aren't many different sub-pockets on the inside, but that doesn't bother me. They also have an even larger version - but there's a limit to how much stuff I want to carry with me on a run ;)

And I have one other (much cheaper) backpack that's okay too. The first one I bought, a few years ago. It is a little more bouncy than the Salomon ones, so for extra clothes it's fine, but I wouldn't like carrying heavy water bottles around in it. Plus I only found it on amazon.co.uk, not on the US site, so it's probably out for you anyway.

Thank you! I notice the 12 has a lower 2nd strap as well, which would seem like it will help with the bounce.
    @midwesterner85 The 7 has the waist strap as well (at least my blue one does, and you can also see it on the picture of the black model). And yes, that helps a lot against bouncing. And if you want to spend even more money, you can buy "custom pockets" and attach them to the waist or the shoulder straps - there's a review with some pictures here. No, I don't work for the company, I just happen to like that pack ;)
    But I guess not every backpack is right for everyone - I first ordered a camelbak, because lots of people like them, but that one was chafing at the neck for me, so I had to send it back. Maybe you can find some running backpacks with waist and chest straps in a local store to try out.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles
    12/3: 3.15 miles (m)
    12/4: Rest Day
    12/5: 5 miles (2 + 3 treadmill)
    12/6: 4 miles (m)
    12/7: 4 miles
    12/8: 4.35 miles (m)
    12/9: Rest Day
    12/10: 3.5 miles
    12/11: 5 miles (m)
    12/12: 4 miles
    12/13: 4 miles (m)

My Total/December: 43 miles
    Mike's Total: 21 miles

Well, the thunderstorms never appeared this morning and Mike, Fergus and I had a nice run on the lake path. It was very foggy which was kind of cool...like running in the clouds. I usually run on an empty stomach but I was starving this morning and ended up having protein shake before I went out. I needed the food but did not care for that "sloshing around in my belly" feeling that I get when I eat before a workout. We did happen upon a flock of cranes hanging out near our path. They were all sitting around chilling and cooing at each other. Fergus was interested but didn't make any attempt to head after them. They were just far enough away that they were comfortable with us running by and didn't fly off. It was pretty cool.

@midwesterner85 Using music to help with pacing is a great idea. I used to listen to music while I ran back in 2010, but I was mostly doing treadmill running. Since I have gotten back to it, I have actually really enjoyed the time with my thoughts, running outdoors and have done it all with no music. Maybe I will try it agian though and see if it helps with the pacing. Thanks! :)

@RespectTheKitty Feel better soon!

@MobyCarp Thanks! I usually try not to mess with my watch too much while I am running (I don't see very well up close without glasses and I've accidentally shut it off at least once!) and tend to keep it set to show me distance. I think that I am going to try setting it to show me pace instead since I have a couple of paths that I run now where I already know the distance. If I join the marathon training group in June I will have a pace leader for long runs that will help. In the meantime, I will just work with my watch on longer runs.

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift congrats on the new car, you might have mentioned it, but what did you buy. I need to buy a car, now that Skip has taken over my truck, but I have no idea what I want.
    @ariceroni beautiful picture
    @7lenny7 love the xmas tree running pattern
    @shanaber your run sounded great, congrats on 1200 miles
    @elise4270 twinkle twinkle, if there is no video it never happened :smiley:

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift congrats on the new car, you might have mentioned it, but what did you buy. I need to buy a car, now that Skip has taken over my truck, but I have no idea what I want.

Ditto on all of the above!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)
    12/5: 6.8k
    12/6: 6.8k intervals
    12/7: 2.1k (as a warmup for strength training)
    12/9: 10.2k (easy run, quad testing)
    12/10: 8.7k (intervals)
    12/11: 6k
    12/13: 2k treadmill (leg test)

52.8/120k

Very careful run, testing my inner thigh. Strength training warm-up actually. Tomorrow I will go for an easy run, not push it though, I have a race I need to go.

Races:
    12/18: Tour of Drama 10k
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Falling behind as I didn't log my Sunday & Monday runs. Sunday's run fell apart after 3 miles as I did it right after a long intense bike ride, so as I was feeling lightheaded, I called it quits at that point. Yesterday I joined my team interval run, but found an interesting guy there who was visiting from Australia, and also did Chicago, so we ended up chatting, and I just did my 3 minute repeats at a 6:30 pace vs. my usual 5:50 pace as it was an interesting conversation. Regardless, forgot to start my watch for one, but had a good time.

Planning on going out for a mid-distance run in a few minutes as I'm falling behind plan. Still, as last week was supposed to be a stepback week, I'm good with the totals.

12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 5 miles
    12/4 - 4 miles (warmup + 5K race)
    12/6 - 7 miles
    12/7 - 4 miles
    12/10 - 15 miles
    12/11 - 3 miles
    12/12 - 5.5 miles

Total: 50.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 129.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5 - 10:21:27 (3:38:20 marathon time)
    Chase the Dreidel 5K - Dec 4 - 18:13

@MNLittleFinn - My standard approach is to figure out 1 big event each year, then add others to support my training for it. At the moment, because I haven't put my ironman on the calendar and can't put Boston on it until 2018, I'm at a bit of a loss on my next race. At the moment, I just have a half-ironman on the calendar in June (hoping to qualify for the world championships in September) as there are just too many contingencies with a few lotteries in the mix (NYC). Still, I need to get an early spring/late winter marathon on the calendar, as I'm feeling a bit too unstructured at the moment. As it is a "recovery" off-season period for me, that may be a good thing regardless.

@stoshew71 - I've never measured a marathon on a watch at under 26.35, and am usually closer to 26.5. With the tall buildings, Chicago came in at 27.0 on the dot for me, but I knew I wasn't running a 6:45 pace during the race despite what my watch was saying. Many friends just set their watch to beep every 1.01 to get a more accurate mile split.

@patrikc333 -

RE Clip-in "Clipless" Pedals - I'd start without clips though for the first while as it takes a bit to remember the basics. I don't think there is much to remember when re-starting aside from how to get momentum when starting (start your dominant foot pedal at 3-o'clock), how to stop (get in front of seat while standing on pedals, then put feet down after fully braking), how to control turns, and how/when to shift gears (in short, you do it to maintain an efficient cadence/RPM - most folks are around 90rpm while adjusting for hills/terrain/starting at lights). Once you are comfortable, just practice clipping/unclipping at least 50x in a parking lot or safe area first to get used to it.

RE Clothes - What slows you down when biking is wind resistance, rolling resistance (tires on ground - if under-inflated), and gravity (hills). Clothes come into play on the rolling resistance front so if I'm biking for speed & need to keep up, I'll have skin-tight lycra everything on, but if not, I'll just be comfortable with more loose stuff. Bike shorts w. pads definitely help on the comfort front as well. Still, of my 150 miles/week I spend on my bike, I'll do about 50 in more normal clothing (either for commuting, or if I'm going on a more casual ride). For my Friday hammerfests with my triathlon team, I'll put on my tighest most aerodynamic stuff so I can keep up.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Ohhim "bad" part for me is that my big race is in June, so I have the whole rest of running season to figure it out. I'm planning a month off after the marathon. That will give me time for a late September half or full.
    That's just a general idea, assuming I don't hate my life after the first marathon.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

@skippygirlsmom I'm getting a pre-owned certified 2013 Honda Civic. I drive a 1997 Civic now and they're great cars. Reliable and last decades if you want em to! Plus a 17 year newer car has lots of perks: back-up camera, steering wheel controls for music, built in USB to charge/play from your phone... all the ammenities a girl could want (except butt warmers... oh well)!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Looks like Saturday's going to be a nother -5 day for runnin, and 9mph winds....... There's a debate raging between braving the cold or braving the boredom of a TM for over 2 hours.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Any and all brands are way too long for me :( the ankle part of the pants sticks past my toes and the wrist part of the sleeve is past my fingertips :'(

@greenolivetree - I was just going back through some of the old posts I missed earlier in the month and saw this. I usually buy running capris and they come mid calf on me rather than just below the knee. With the tops I end up folding the sleeves back so they aren't hanging over my hands. It is nice though to have that extra length when it is cold and I want to have my hands covered until they warm up :)
    Have you tried any of the Nike girls running clothes? They are typically not too long on me and fit ok everywhere else. UnderArmour now has several styles in 'Short' now too. They are still a little long on me but fit much better than the regular sizes.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Any and all brands are way too long for me :( the ankle part of the pants sticks past my toes and the wrist part of the sleeve is past my fingertips :'(

@greenolivetree - I was just going back through some of the old posts I missed earlier in the month and saw this. I usually buy running capris and they come mid calf on me rather than just below the knee. With the tops I end up folding the sleeves back so they aren't hanging over my hands. It is nice though to have that extra length when it is cold and I want to have my hands covered until they warm up :)
    Have you tried any of the Nike girls running clothes? They are typically not too long on me and fit ok everywhere else. UnderArmour now has several styles in 'Short' now too. They are still a little long on me but fit much better than the regular sizes.

So far this "winter" I haven't even worn gloves yet, just tucked my hands up in the sleeves as needed. LOL Sometimes I just wear capris and use socks to cover the little bit of bare lower leg. I haven't seen the UnderArmour short length. Interesting. I think I'm too chubby at the moment for girls sizing but before I started gaining weight the girls section in Academy caught my eye and I started to consider trying kids clothes..... I'm a stick figure when I'm skinny.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn Neither one of those options sounds appealing.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    ... all the ammenities a girl could want (except butt warmers... oh well)!

That's too bad. I love the "biscuit burners" in my car. Enjoy the new ride!

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2 miles
    12/2 - 35 min elliptical (hills), weight machines
    12/3 - rest (too busy with kids' bday party!)
    12/4 - 4.32 miles
    12/5 - 35 min elliptical (hills), weight machines
    12/6 - 4.21 miles
    12/7-12/11 - unable to exercise due to migraine
    12/12 - 35 min elliptical (hills), weight machines
    12/13 - 4.27 miles

Conpleted: 17 miles/ 40 miles (42%)
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455, @7lenny7, @shanaber thank you very much for your advice. It never occurred to me to use layers to cover my ears like the rest of my body. :* I live in central Canada and will check out the Mark's Work Warehouse near me and I'll see if I can find some buffs on sale after Christmas (I need to recover from all of the money I spent on Black Friday sales :# ). It was -5*C and 28 km/hr winds again today for my run so I wore a headband under a hat that covered my ears and was much more comfortable. I also wore a zippered hoodie and my half zip shirt and unzipped them when the wind was at my back and I started getting hot. Its surprising how your body temperature changes depending on which direction the wind is coming at you.

@lporter229 thank you for the info. on hydration, it never occurred to me that would it be as much of an issue in the winter as it is in the summer.

Date Km Today - Km for Dec.
    12/1 6.17 - 6.17
    12/4 5.77 - 11.94
    12/6 5.34 - 17.28
    12/8 3.23 - 20.51
    12/11 5.76 - 26.27
    12/13 5.67 - 31.94
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Resolution Run 5km - 12/31
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@skippygirlsmom I'm getting a pre-owned certified 2013 Honda Civic. I drive a 1997 Civic now and they're great cars. Reliable and last decades if you want em to! Plus a 17 year newer car has lots of perks: back-up camera, steering wheel controls for music, built in USB to charge/play from your phone... all the ammenities a girl could want (except butt warmers... oh well)!

Sounds great @kristinegift good luck with it! I'm looking for something a couple years old too, but I think I'm having a mid life crisis and I'm looking at sports cars ha ha!!! Skip can drive the momma SUV :wink: I wanted to buy her a car and she likes the SUV she likes being able to sit up higher. She tried to drive my boyfriend's Focus and she can't see over the steering wheel.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date:: :::: Miles :::: Dec total (goal = 80)
    12/01/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    12/03/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    12/04/16 :::: 6.0 :::: 11.8
    12/05/16 :::: 3.3 :::: 15.0
    12/06/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 17.4
    12/07/16 :::: 2.4 :::: 19.8
    12/08/16 :::: 3.7 :::: 23.5
    12/09/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.5
    12/10/16 :::: 7.0 :::: 30.5
    12/11/16 :::: 3.5 :::: 34.0
    12/12/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 34.0
    12/13/16 :::: 2.6 :::: 36.7

Today was decently warmer and I was able to do an afternoon run. It's funny how missing yesterday and snowshoeing but not actual running on Sunday made me feel so out of the habit. My legs and ankles were sore from snowshoeing, so I took it kind of easy. Almost to the halfway point of my goal for the month, so pretty on track so far.

Upcoming races:
    11/24 Turkey Trot 5k, Cedar Rapids IA - 31:19 5k PR!
    12/3 St. Nick Shuffle 5k, Syracuse NY - Done! Stopped for cookies so no PR :)
    1/1/17 Resolution Run, Syracuse NY
    1/14 CNY Snowshoe Run - maybe?
    1/22 Chilly Chili 5k, Cazenovia NY
    1/28 Stone Wall Snowshoe 5k, Mannsville NY
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Looks like Saturday's going to be a nother -5 day for runnin, and 9mph winds....... There's a debate raging between braving the cold or braving the boredom of a TM for over 2 hours.

You should probably make sure your gym's treadmill will allow use that long. Most of ours are set for a 60 minute limit then they shut off. It's a real PITA to stop, wait for it to reset then start again. Fortunately my gym has a 6 lap/mile indoor track, which is just a step up over a treadmill.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited December 2016
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

You should probably make sure your gym's treadmill will allow use that long. Most of ours are set for a 60 minute limit then they shut off. It's a real PITA to stop, wait for it to reset then start again. Fortunately my gym has a 6 lap/mile indoor track, which is just a step up over a treadmill.

Great point, I'll test that tomorrow when I go to do my "oh my god, these inclines are going to kill me" treadmill run. should be simple enough to see if the timer on the manual setting allows for it.

Tomorrow's workout:

minutes/incline/speed
    5 / 4 /5
    2 /10 /4.6
    5 /2 /6.8
    2 /8 /5.3
    5 /3 /6.6
    2 /12 /4.2
    5 /2 /6.8
    5 /7 /5.5
    2 /3 /6.6
    5 /3 /5.8