03/12 3 miles
    13/12 3 miles
    14/12 3 miles - there was a full moon tonight, it was lovely

exercise.png

Full moons are great to run under
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I am way behind on reading the posts, and way behind on running.

Had a minor car accident at the weekend (rear-end shunt in the outside lane of the motorway pushed me into the car in front) so an all a bit stiff. I am quite keen to give running a go as I think it might help loosen things, but I've not been sleeping well either so that's rather taken priority.

Might scrap this week and start again at the weekend! Puts me behind schedule but better take things easy.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    At -5F I'm not leaving my bed - let alone running. Some of the northerners and Scottish folk are a bit tougher mind, but I blame my African blood!
    I think it's my Finnish and Scotch-Irish ancestry. Just enough cold weather tolerance and stubbornness to go for a run in that weather.

I am half Canadian and half Russian, so there's no excuse for me! We just are not used to it here.

Just been out for a club run. Possibly my last run before my half on Saturday, or might put in a couple of easy miles on Friday to get the legs moving. Either way, the training is done, sub-2 is ON :smiley:

December Running Challenge

2nd - 3.06 miles
    3rd - 11.02 miles
    6th - 3.04 miles
    7th - 5.19 miles
    8th - 4.05 miles
    10th - 4.73 miles
    12th - 3.18 miles
    14th - 6.22 miles

MTD - 40.49/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December
    12/1 6 miles - 6
    12/2 4 miles - 10
    12/3 12 miles - 22
    12/4 REST DAY
    12/5 5 miles - 27
    12/6 4 miles - 31
    12/7 REST DAY
    12/8 3.5 miles - 34.5
    12/9 REST DAY
    12/10 26.4 - 60.9
    12/11 REST DAY
    12/12 REST DAY
    12/13 REST DAY
    12/14 REST DAY

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41

Last planned rest day today. I plan to do a short easy run tomorrow with my Panera Pounder group.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Thanks for the book recommendation. I looked it up on Amazon and it looks like something I'd enjoy reading. I have some Google Play credit so I'll probably download it from there.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe sounds like a great run!

@MNLittleFinn Wow, that hill workout sounds compliceted. Can you programm it all into the TM before starting, or do you have to keep track of time and change it manually from one step to the next?

@girlinahat I hope you are fine after that car accident! Taking it easy and recovering from that is more important than racing after your monthly goal, if you are still feeling bad after it.

@7lenny7 If you think running in fog sounds fun, you should have visited me during the past three weeks. If we didn't have fog every single night since end of November, we've definitely come close.
    I hope your family will all have save trips in that crazy winter weather you've got!

--

I hope I won't get sick so shortly before Christmas. My dear office mate has a horrible cold, but refuses to stay home. She's been sneezing, coughing and blowing her nose at me for three days in a row now. Today it was actually so bad that I went home early to finish my work remotely (something I've been suggesting to her about a million times this week...).
    I am actually feeling more tired than usual, so I only ran half my planned distance today, and took it really slow.
    Now I'm just waiting for my dinner to melt (oven cheese - mjam!), and then I'll go to bed real early.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Thanks for the book recommendation. I looked it up on Amazon and it looks like something I'd enjoy reading. I have some Google Play credit so I'll probably download it from there.

Seconded - have added to my wishlist hoping someone might get me for Xmas!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I never understand why people who are sick don't stay home. The girl in the office next to me brings in her kids when they are sick, hey thanks! It's bad enough she comes in when she's sick, but now we have little ones who don't cover their mouths are coughing like they are going to die and all I hear all day is "mommy I don't feel good" "Mommy I'm tired" If they are so sick they need to stay home the poor babies should be in bed, not your office. yipes!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    At -5F I'm not leaving my bed - let alone running. Some of the northerners and Scottish folk are a bit tougher mind, but I blame my African blood!
    I think it's my Finnish and Scotch-Irish ancestry. Just enough cold weather tolerance and stubbornness to go for a run in that weather.

I'm over half Norwegian and lived in Wisconsin my first 25 years yet I have quickly adapted to desert life. I have my 20 miles in Wisconsin and I have been buying extra layers and accessories so I don't freeze to death.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I am way behind on reading the posts, and way behind on running.

Had a minor car accident at the weekend (rear-end shunt in the outside lane of the motorway pushed me into the car in front) so an all a bit stiff. I am quite keen to give running a go as I think it might help loosen things, but I've not been sleeping well either so that's rather taken priority.

Might scrap this week and start again at the weekend! Puts me behind schedule but better take things easy.

Oh no! Glad you are ok for the most part. I wish people would learn to just pay attention when they drive.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I had to change things manually. I ended up finishing like 6 minutes early, so I probably cut some of the low % incline times short. It was a pain to try to run and read tiny font in prep for the next interval. Kept my mind occupied though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

I'm over half Norwegian and lived in Wisconsin my first 25 years yet I have quickly adapted to desert life. I have my 20 miles in Wisconsin and I have been buying extra layers and accessories so I don't freeze to death.

All of Wisconsin is south of me, so you should have a bit warmer than I have.... hopefully.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    12/2: .5; chest/arms
    12/3: 10
    12/4: .5; back/shoulders/core
    12/7: 2
    12/8: 4
    12/10: 10
    12/14: 2

29 of 80 miles; 2 of 7 XT sessions.

Not my favorite run, but it's something. Two miles on the TM at home.

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    12/1: 5 miles
    12/2: 4 miles
    12/3: 4 miles
    12/4: 11 miles
    12/5: 5 miles
    12/6: 7 miles
    12/7: rest day
    12/8: 4 miles
    12/9: rest day
    12/10: 5 miles
    12/11: 11 miles
    12/12: 4 miles
    12/13: 4 miles
    12/14: rest day

TOTAL: 64 miles

Rest day for me today!

ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @greenolivetree - awesome medal! yay chili! I wouldn't eat chili prior to running though.

Last year I stayed with my grandfather while I was out east for the Baltimore Marathon. He decided to make his famous chili the night before the race. I didn't want to be rude, so I just cooked up a box of pasta and put the chili over it (and tried not to have too much). Surprsingly, I didn't have any stomach issues during the race.

@dkabambe Way to go on the hill run!

So, the -5F I'll be running in on Saturday is out of the question for folks in the UK? LOL, I remember being in London in January, light jacket was all I needed for walking around.
    It's supposed to be icy with a windchill of -15F tomorrow morning when I have a 4 mile run planned. If I am brave enough to run it outside, it will probably be the coldest I've ever run in. May wimp out and run it on the treadmill. I also am debating whether I try to fit my long run in on Friday before work with a windchill of 2F or on Saturday morning with a windchill of 33 but 85% chance of rain. To be honest, I'd rather take Friday's weather on Saturday.

@louubelle16 Good luck on your HM!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Daily check-in.

Yesterday I felt a bit beat up in the morning, then felt fine by noon and ran 6 miles of hills in the evening. Today I felt a bit beat up in the morning again. Hmm, there seems to be a pattern here. How many days in a row have I run? Oh yeah, eight days. Time for a rest day. Granted, Sunday was only about two and a half miles and was as a slow pace, but still . . . I'm not in a formal training program right now. Time for a rest day.

Got out to do a bit of Christmas shopping, got some odds and ends of groceries, and took a walk in the remaining good weather (mid-20s F, perhaps 8 mph wind). Overnight low is supposed to be 13º F, tomorrow's high 18º F with snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches. But it's just lake effect snow, which means I might see a half inch in my driveway. As long as it isn't deep enough to have plows everywhere, it will be good running weather tomorrow. I'll put some more miles on the Peregrines that didn't see much duty earlier this year in the mild winter.

Still haven't decided about signing up for Reindeer Run 5K next Saturday. If push comes to shove, I don't have to register till that morning; but if I don't register in advance, my chances of getting out of bed in time for the race aren't very good. It could be an interesting run if we get some fresh snow; the forecast doesn't look like what we have on the ground will melt between now and Saturday.

Edit to add: Wrote that, went and looked at registration, and saw that the fee goes up at midnight. Made the decision, signed up for the 5K. Should be a nice winter run.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    12/1: 6 miles with Pacers crew +lifting
    12/2: 2 miles
    12/3: 8 miles with the Saturday crew
    12/4: 5.3 miles on trails +lifting
    12/5: 6 miles
    12/6: 2 miles + lifting
    12/7: 6 miles
    12/8: 6 miles + lifting
    12/9: 1 mile
    12/10: 13.1 miles
    12/11: 4.6 miles on trails
    12/12: 2 miles + lifting
    12/13: 6.1 miles
    12/14: 6 miles + lifting

Did a solid lifting session followed by 6 miles with intervals on the treadmill (1 mile warm up, 4 miles of varying speeds, 1 mile cool down). Starting to definitely feel the DOMS from the lifting and the 9.0 mph interval (which I ran for a quarter mile TWICE, ouch!), so I'm really looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow :)

It was really nice though to have this hard, long workout and get in my new car and not worry about whether my clutch leg will give out on the way home. That's one of the only things I hated with my stick shift (the other: bumper to bumper, start-stop traffic).

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8/17: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18/17: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile option
    3/12/17: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18/17: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    4/1/17: NJ Ultra Fest HM (trail, maybe)
    4/9/17: Rutgers UNITE HM (maybe)
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    8 km along the River Bank with 6 members of the club - the usual group of suspects/victim's.
    -21C No Wind - Full Moon so quite an enjoyable evening run.

I was running with one of the ladies who is just a little faster than me. I have no problem with my cardio-respiratory when running at the faster pace - it's the old Injured Calf Muscle that starts to twinge once I get up to the 160 SPM. At 150 SPM no trouble no issues. Frustrating that an extra 10 steps per minute could start to induce calf strains. GRRrr

December Running Goal 140km
    12/01–0.0 km –140km – 0 km – YTD 1210.5 km
    12/03–8.0 km –132km – 8 km
    12/04–5.0 km –127km – 13 km
    12/05–12.0 km –115km – 25 km
    12/07–7.0 km –108km – 32 km
    12/10–5.0 km –103km – 37 km
    12/11–4.0 km –99km – 41 km
    12/14–8.0 km –91km – 49 km – YTD 1259.5 km

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Damn, it's cold. Currently 6F. More of the same tomorrow.

Did 5.5 miles on the treadmill tonight. Sweat a lot, which was absolutely wonderful once I got back outside. That was sarcasm.

My next opportunity to run will be Saturday. It is supposed to be somewhat warmer, with a "wintry mix" in the forecast. If there's any way I can get out there and run, I will. For the record, I can't get to a treadmill on Saturdays because I'm usually at my mom's all day. So I run in her neighborhood.

Currently only at 38 miles for the month. Should be at 50 if I want to make 100. Sigh.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Didn't get in my run yesterday, so just made tonight's run a bit longer than usual and turned it into 7.5 miles.

12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 5 miles
    12/4 - 4 miles (warmup + 5K race)
    12/6 - 7 miles
    12/7 - 4 miles
    12/10 - 15 miles
    12/11 - 3 miles
    12/12 - 5.5 miles
    12/14 - 7.5 miles

Total: 58 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 122 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25 - 4:43:56
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9 - 3:04:57
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5 - 10:21:27 (3:38:20 marathon time)
    Chase the Dreidel 5K - Dec 4 - 18:13
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 Dec – 6.2 km Lake Wendouree
    03 Dec – 5.4 km including Albert Melbourne parkrun with my nephew
    04 Dec – 21.2 km Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon 2:07:59.4
    07 Dec – 5.8 km
    08 Dec – 4.3 km jog to Body Balance
    09 Dec – 4.2 km
    10 Dec – 2.6 km
    11 Dec – 10 km
    12 Dec – 6.8 km
    13 Dec – 7 km
    14 Dec – 9.2 km
    15 Dec – 8.3 km

Total: 91.3 km

Brooks North Pole Run Club Challenge (Strava): Run 6 hrs over 12 days from December 5 - December 16. DONE!

Didn't plan a streak, but I've run 9 days in a row.

Passed 1,700 km for the year yesterday. My goal was 1,000 which I passed in August. It's been a very good year.