December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    NEWSFLASH! Apparently DOMS + Hangover + Dehydration - Sleep + Running is not a formula for fun. Who knew? Just 2k but was hard work - kept my streak going though!

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k streak run [TM]
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
    7-Dec: 3.1k streak run [TM]
    8-Dec: 5.3k easy
    9-Dec: 12.6k easy
    10-Dec: 2k short run
    11-Dec: 11k - 10k tempo plus warm-up
    12-Dec: 8.2k easy
    13-Dec: 1.8k streak run
    14-Dec: 12.5k hill circuit (4 laps; 295m climbing total)
    15-Dec (AM): 5.2k inc 5k fast [TM]
    15-Dec (PM): 6k inc 5k fast
    16-Dec: 5.5k easy
    17-Dec: 2.3k streak run
    18-Dec: 2.3k streak run
    19-Dec: 5.2k easy
    20-Dec: 9.2k slight hills
    21-Dec: 2.9k tempo
    22-Dec: 2k streak run
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    A guide to women's running jackets. I had to laugh at her comment that no one jacket will work, oh Lordie isn't that the truth. I have more running jackets than regular jackets, the chilly weather one, the cold weather one, the raining weather, the raining but cold, the raining but warmer, the holy *kitten* I'm going to die it's so cold out here and of course the "I look so good in this after I run" jacket! ha ha I did have to laugh at the $300 price tag of the rain jacket blah blah blah!!!

I did like this baby right here though:

Sugoi Women’s Versa Jacket – MSRP: $125.00

It’s a jacket! No, it’s a vest! Wait – it’s BOTH. Perfect for those times when you’re just not sure how much protection and coverage you will need, the Versa is convertible. This jacket is built with magnets that hold the sleeves in place when you need them, and allow you to pull them off when you don’t. Pack the sleeves away in your jacket pockets for easy storage on the run

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/gear/ruap/womens-winter-running-jackets-buying-guide-2016/?from=fcebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=161412winterjackets&utm_medium=social&utm_content=blog

@louubelle16 that run sounds like too much fun, love the picture! Our Fleet Feet is having a pajamma run tonight. ha ha the other night a guy sponsored a run at a track, you couldn't wear your watch or anything that would time, you had to tell in advance how long it would take you to run 1 lap then stop and eat or drink a "holiday" snack whether it was a food or drink like hot chocolate, when run another lap, some thing. All in all you can to run a mile I think it was. The closest person was only 3 seconds off, that is pretty impressive. The furthest was like 10 minutes off.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I bought my husband a male version of that Sugoi jacket for running and biking. I was hoping it would inspire him : ) He does love the jacket. It's really nice quality. Although I am not sure if he's ever taken the sleeves off. Personally, I am loving that high visability Asics jacket!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    01/12 3.12 miles
    02/12 3 miles
    03/12 3 miles
    13/12 3 miles
    14/12 3 miles - there was a full moon tonight, it was lovely
    16/12 3.25 miles
    17/12 3 miles
    20/12 3 miles - start of the stormy weather
    21/12 3 miles
    22/12 3.18 miles

I managed to get my run in between the hail showers. I don't think I would have gone out this evening if |I hadn't been reading about the temperatures and conditions many of you are braving so I said to myself 'Suck it up Marissa and get out there'.

All the photos are great!

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom I bought my husband a male version of that Sugoi jacket for running and biking. I was hoping it would inspire him : ) He does love the jacket. It's really nice quality. Although I am not sure if he's ever taken the sleeves off. Personally, I am loving that high visability Asics jacket!

@lporter229 I was eyeing that Asics one up too. Ah so many jackets, so little money :cry:
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    December Running Challenge:

12/1: 4 miles, Body Pump, and yoga
    12/2: Yoga
    12/3: 8 miles
    12/4: 11 miles, yoga
    12/5: 4 miles
    12/6: 50 minutes of Elliptical, 25 minutes of Strength Training
    12/7: 8 mile run
    12/8: 3:34 treadmill run. It was supposed to be 4 miles, but I cut it short to 30 minutes, because it felt like it was 80+ degrees
    12/9: Rest day
    12/10: 2 mile shakeout run and yoga
    12/11: 13.1 miles!! Dallas Half Marathon!! New PR!! (and Yoga which helped my sore legs)
    12/12: 4 miles
    12/13: XT Day: 10 minutes of rowing, 20 minutes of stationary bike, and 25 minutes of core/upper body stength
    12/14: 8 miles
    12/15: 4 miles and a Strength/Cardio class (Body Pump Instructor out)
    12/16: Yoga
    12/17: 15 miles - This was a fantastic run. I felt great, the weather was sunny and in the 60's. It was also my longest distance so far.
    12/18: 8 mile trail run - Windchill (in TEXAS) was -2 when I started the run. Just me and the girls (4 doe) out on the trails.
    12/19: 4 miles
    12/20: XT Day: Body Pump and too much other stuff to do so I didn't get the xtra cardio in like normal
    12/21: 9 miles
    12/22: 4.2 miles (35 minute tempo run)

MTD: 109.6 out of 115

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11 - 1:46:23

Upcoming Races:

Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26

Today was the 1st time I did speed work (other than my race) since my hamstring injury. It went very well, I had no pain, and it was fun running fast. I'm sore from my muscles being worked out but it's not an injury type soreness. I'm loving these cooler temps with highs in the upper 30s / low 40s. I feel like I have the cold weather gear figured out now athough our highs will be around 70 over the weekend, and that's great weather too!
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Omg...love that picture!! At my 1st PT appt...my most important question was when I could run again. Thankfully, I wasn't in a full body cast. Lol!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I love that jacket! We had a mild winter last winter so I just ran in long sleeves or a couple cheap jackets. So I haven't invested in a variety of running jackets.

We have a lot of down time this afternoon before hubby's evening mri but my back hurts and I don't want to get sweaty right now, so no treadmill. Still hoping for tomorrow, then we probably travel home christmas eve.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I might not get my long run in this week. I have this cough/cold thing coming on, and getting up early to get in my 10 miler tomorrow, before heading to see family over Christmas, just doesn't seem wise. I'm already at my goal for the month, so a shorter, 6 mile run tomorrow, and a short 4 on Christmas eve, followed by rest on christmas, and probably rest (and driving home) on the 26th, seems like a better idea.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom You seem like just the person I need to ask right now - is there such a thing as a running jacket that actually keeps you dry when it rains? I went out for a run in the rain on Monday and have a stinking cold now, and I don't think that helped. I was soaked right through. My supposed 'showerproof' running jacket would be soaked right through if a kitten sneezed on it...
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Dec. 1 - Cross training.
    Dec. 2 - Rest/cross training.
    Dec. 3 - Cross training/strength training.
    Dec. 4 - 3.32 miles
    Dec. 5 - Cross training.
    Dec. 6 - 4.86 miles
    Dec. 7 - Cross training/strength training.
    Dec. 8 - Rest.
    Dec. 9 - 6.11 miles
    Dec. 10 - 4.08 miles
    Dec. 11 - 14.07 miles
    Dec. 12 - 35 mins. elliptical.
    Dec. 13 - 5.60 miles
    Dec. 14 - Core De Force/strength training.
    Dec. 15 - 6.02 miles
    Dec. 16 - Rest.
    Dec. 17 - 5.34 miles
    Dec. 18 - 13.2 miles + 20 mins. elliptical.
    Dec. 19 - Core de Force + lifting.
    Dec. 20 - 5.62 miles
    Dec. 21 - Core de Force + lifting and 10 min. weighted jump roping.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom You seem like just the person I need to ask right now - is there such a thing as a running jacket that actually keeps you dry when it rains? I went out for a run in the rain on Monday and have a stinking cold now, and I don't think that helped. I was soaked right through. My supposed 'showerproof' running jacket would be soaked right through if a kitten sneezed on it...

@louubelle16 - I have a Nike Ripstop running jacket and it keeps me nice and dry. It has a hood too that connects behind the collar so no water runs down my neck.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Is that the Shield Flash one? Dear Santa...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1 – 8.08 warmup + speed work
    12/2 – rest day
    12/3 – 10.13 warmup + 5K race + easy 30 minutes
    12/4 – 8.07 easy
    12/5 – rest day
    12/6 – 5.96 warmup, speed work, cool down
    12/7 – 6.00 easy
    12/8 – 3.78 easy
    12/9 – 3.80 course preview
    12/10 – 5.01 USATF Club Nationals Masters 8K
    12/11 – 2.57 easy
    12/12 – 10.15 easy
    12/13 – 6.21 hills
    12/14 – rest day
    12/15 – 5.25 with wind and snow
    12/16 – 6.27 easy
    12/17 – 6.40 warmup + Reindeer Run 5K
    12/18 – rest day
    12/19 – 12.00 easy
    12/20 – 6.46 easy
    12/21 – unplanned rest day
    12/22 – 5.16 easy with fast finish

December total to date – 111.29

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Finish transition to healthy running. Use Club Nationals as a learning experience on managing air travel to a race. Build a base toward Boston training. Avoid re-injury

Today's notes – Life Happening caught up to me yesterday. The plan had been to run 5 easy miles. Got to 5:30 PM, and had to choose between running in the dark with Christmas traffic, or calling it a rest day. I called it a rest day, got to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour, and soaked up 10 hours of sleep. I must have really needed that rest day. (Other stuff going on - tax prep training, lots of sedentary computer time associated with that, too much free pizza with training. Holidays are tough, even when I know I can't out-run a crappy diet.)

Today has stuff going on, too; but at least I was well rested when I started the day later than normal. Got out to run past 11 AM, knowing that I would not find time in the afternoon or evening. It was a balmy 34º F (+1º C), so I dressed more lightly than in recent days; but I found there was a noticeable WSW wind when I got out there. (Garmin says 11 mph W; it felt stronger than that, but at the warm temp it wasn't a huge problem.) Put in my 5 easy miles on the planned winter route, wearing trail shoes because we had another inch of snow overnight. (What else is new in the Land of Lake Effect Snow?) The roads were pretty clear, but the trail shoes gave me confidence to stay on the shoulders with some slush and snow when there was traffic. After the watch ticked over 5 miles, I picked up the pace, then ran a stride from the last fire hydrant to my driveway. Ended up with an average pace of 7:43, a bit on the fast side for an easy run; but it felt good, and the HR data says I was only above Zone 2 for 62 seconds. I'll take it.

The afternoon was a jumble of household maintenance stuff, lunch, and baking a sweet potato pie to take this evening for the running club celebration where we'll give Coach his Christmas present. Now the only task left on my to-do list for today is pick up a squirt can of whipped cream before the celebration. I can handle that.

I feel a lot better for having got a run in today, even if it was just a short one. I should do another 5 miles tomorrow, to make up for yesterday's unplanned rest day. Saturday's plan is 13 miles at a pace of 8:00 or 8:30, depending on what the program needs.

. . . and all of a sudden, I realize I should be starting the structured training program for Boston on Sunday. Yes, on Christmas Day. First day's assignment is "easy," which means I work out how many miles I need for the week, assign a piece of that to Sunday, and run it easy. Hmm. For Boston 2016, I scaled the plan from a base of 46 miles per week. I think I'll scale it from a base of 40 miles per week for Boston 2017. I will run a bit over 40 this week. It's not a solid base, so I'll need to be mentally prepared to water down the training plan workouts if that is physically necessary.

Now, 16 weeks of reminding myself that the point isn't to run Boston fast. The point is to run Boston to be in good shape afterwards.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY) finished in 42:38, First Senior (60+) Male
    December 3, 2016 Freezeroo #1 (Don Curran Memorial 5K) (Gates, NY) finished in 20:06
    December 10, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL) finished in 33:38
    December 17, 2016 Reindeer Run 5K (Rochester, NY) finished in 23:27 in the snow

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• BeeerRunner
    edited December 2016
    Options

I just picked up a very light Columbia windbreaker / rain jacket at Dicks Sporting Goods. It's vented in the back, but doesnt have pit zips. I was on a budget and it was only $32 compared with other jackets for running that were $80 - $100+. Anyway, it's worked very well...took it out on a cold rainy day, and it kept me dry. It also has a hood that can be stowed away and I pulled it over a baseball cap so my face stayed dry too. I also used this jacket as a an outer layer in the cold weather, and it definitely kept me warm from the -2 windchill I ran in on Sunday.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Is that the Shield Flash one? Dear Santa...

Looking for it now looks like they don't make the one I have any longer and it hasn't been all that long that I bought it... It looks kind of like the Shield Flash or the ShieldRunner although mine does not have armpit zippers but it does have the vents in the back where the Shield Flash doesn't...
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Well scratch that. In a good way. Test got squeezed in for tomorrow and we'll stay in MN through christmas into next week for consultation. Sat/Sun/Mon should be down days so I'll definitely be hitting the treadmill. Unless I convince hubby to let me go buy a running jacket and venture onto the nearby trails :p It's supposed to snow tomorrow.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well scratch that. In a good way. Test got squeezed in for tomorrow and we'll stay in MN through christmas into next week for consultation. Sat/Sun/Mon should be down days so I'll definitely be hitting the treadmill. Unless I convince hubby to let me go buy a running jacket and venture onto the nearby trails :p It's supposed to snow tomorrow.

There's snow coming on Christmas and could be a lot, based on thr forecast. Not sure how much Rochester is getting, but be ready. Hope thr test gets you all some good news