December 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Today the plan called for 12k tempo run - got some new shoes this morning (relatively cheap ones to tide me over to next month when can invest in some decent ones) so went to the gym to try them out on the treadmill so they wouldn't get wet if I didn't get on with them and wanted to take them back. I started out with the intention of doing 12k tempo run, but within 5 minutes I was already bored so decided to up the pace a bit more for a fast 5k run. I had also bought some insoles for my current pair to see if I could extend their life a bit - externally they weren't too bad but much of the internal cushioning had gone. Decided to try those out this afternoon so thought I'd go out for another 5k fast run.

Both sets of shoes and both runs were good. Have never run more than 3k on a treadmill before, but managed the 5k in 27:32 [0.5 incline] which I was pleased with but definitely felt quite hard - mainly because got so hot without the cooling effect of moving air (and boredom factor). This afternoon's outside run I gave it everything for a 5k time of 27:38 (compared to my best of 27:14) so very pleased with that coming 3-4 hours after the previous 5k effort!

Pretty shattered now but hopefully means will sleep well tonight.

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
    7-Dec: 3.1k TM
    8-Dec: 5.3k easy
    9-Dec: 12.6k easy
    10-Dec: 2k short run
    11-Dec: 11k - 10k tempo plus warm-up
    12-Dec: 8.2k easy
    13-Dec: 1.8k streak run
    14-Dec: 12.5k hill circuit (4 laps; 295m climbing total)
    15-Dec (AM): 5.2k treadmill (5k fast)
    15-Dec (PM): 6k inc 5k fast
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    @7lenny7 Mike and I enjoy all of the bands on your list...except The New Mastersounds whom we have not heard so we will definitely be checking them out now. ;)

I think you'll find them to have a most infectious groove. They were in town last month but I had to miss the show for family stuff. Here's a show I frequently listen to at work and while running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgek3tGlCk4

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Ok, I have a question for y'all. Do any of you get leg cramps during the night? I had an occasional leg cramp during the night before I started running, but I've noticed that they've increased significantly since I've been running. I usually get them every night, not just in my calves but also in my hamstrings. They go away after a few seconds, but damn, they're annoying. Is there a reason why I get so many leg cramps lately?

I've been getting random ones that last 10-15 seconds. Not every night, but a couple times per week. You're not alone.

Taking magnesium pills has helped my husband's cramps and also gotten rid of his horrible headaches. He struggles with dehydration and his electrolytes being out of whack due to Crohn's. But maybe just drinking some electrolytes would help with milder/less frequent cramping.
    Yes, I was going to say that this usually happens to me when I'm a bit dehydrated. Particularly after longer runs.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for December
    12/1 6 miles - 6
    12/2 4 miles - 10
    12/3 12 miles - 22
    12/4 REST DAY
    12/5 5 miles - 27
    12/6 4 miles - 31
    12/7 REST DAY
    12/8 3.5 miles - 34.5
    12/9 REST DAY
    12/10 26.4 - 60.9
    12/11 REST DAY
    12/12 REST DAY
    12/13 REST DAY
    12/14 REST DAY
    12/15 4 miles - 64.9

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41

First run since RCM. Started feeling it a little bit around mile 2, kept it nice and peasy.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 Mike and I enjoy all of the bands on your list...except The New Mastersounds whom we have not heard so we will definitely be checking them out now. ;)

I think you'll find them to have a most infectious groove. They were in town last month but I had to miss the show for family stuff. Here's a show I frequently listen to at work and while running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgek3tGlCk4

That first song, the rift sounded like a funked up version of ABB's One Way Out meets Deep Purple's Hush.

I also noticed the drummer is left handed but plays on a right handed drum set.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2016
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @kristinegift - it's funny you mention your clutch leg because the past few weeks I've had a problem with my driving leg. It hurts whenever I am driving - the hamstring area. I decided it was the angle of the seat and I don't see a way to really adjust it. So I put a pillow in my seat yesterday to help with the angle of my leg/foot when pressing gas/brake and it does seem a little better. But last night I mentioned it to my trainer and he thinks it is my sciatic nerve. He's not 100% sure of course and if it gets worse I'll need to go to a doctor. But he gave me some stretches to do for my back. It rarely hurts at any other time. Whenever I do a lot of driving it happens (ever since I got this car - a Prius).

@ddmom0811 It could very well be the seat/seat configuration in your newer car. My old car used to just slide forward and back and have a seat back adjustment. New one can adjust up, down, forward, back and adjust the seat back so I've had to play around with it quite a bit. Maybe the seat configuration is aggravating a nerve/back issue? Hope you get it figured out!

@ddmom0811 I have huge problems with my sciatic nerve and that is where I feel it the most when driving, like I pulled a hamstring. I'm lucky that it's my left leg, though now I'm driving a 5 speed so it doesn't matter which leg it still hurts. When I drive anything over 90 minutes I'm crying, I'm a lot of fun to drive with back and forth to Florida 10+ hours each way. Hope the stretches solve the problem.

Skip had track practice today and she was the only distance runner who showed up. She went out and 3 miles by herself and the head coach told her she could leave, the sprint coach said hey hang out and do some core work with the sprinters. It's 35F with a feels like of 27F and she said Mom thanks for handing me your running vest this morning, we did core work on the track pavement and everyone was dying but I put up the hood and between the hood and the thick vest and I was comfortable. I said good I'm glad you were warm. Oh yeah mom and the couldn't feel the hard ground through the thick vest either. ha ha! I wanted to say "do you know how much that vest cost that you were laying on the ground in" :smile:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    Thanks everyone for the tips on the driving leg. I have been looking up stretching exercises and hope to get it resolved. Or just never drive. I'll just cycle and run everywhere, lol.

The people in my cycling group were all talking about getting this light for when they cycle at night. I never cycle in the dark (not yet anyway). But it looks like it was really made for running anyway:

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

Very tempted for my night runs. I don't like things that use batteries though. Prefer to just charge them with the USB. But 40 hours wouldn't be bad I guess.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    When my sciatica flares up, my right foot is numb the whole time I drive. Not painful, just numb :p
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @kristinegift - it's funny you mention your clutch leg because the past few weeks I've had a problem with my driving leg. It hurts whenever I am driving - the hamstring area. I decided it was the angle of the seat and I don't see a way to really adjust it. So I put a pillow in my seat yesterday to help with the angle of my leg/foot when pressing gas/brake and it does seem a little better. But last night I mentioned it to my trainer and he thinks it is my sciatic nerve. He's not 100% sure of course and if it gets worse I'll need to go to a doctor. But he gave me some stretches to do for my back. It rarely hurts at any other time. Whenever I do a lot of driving it happens (ever since I got this car - a Prius).

@ddmom0811 It could very well be the seat/seat configuration in your newer car. My old car used to just slide forward and back and have a seat back adjustment. New one can adjust up, down, forward, back and adjust the seat back so I've had to play around with it quite a bit. Maybe the seat configuration is aggravating a nerve/back issue? Hope you get it figured out!

@ddmom0811 I have huge problems with my sciatic nerve and that is where I feel it the most when driving, like I pulled a hamstring. I'm lucky that it's my left leg, though now I'm driving a 5 speed so it doesn't matter which leg it still hurts. When I drive anything over 90 minutes I'm crying, I'm a lot of fun to drive with back and forth to Florida 10+ hours each way. Hope the stretches solve the problem.

One of the red flags symptoms of piriformis syndrome (DGS) is sit pain. Maybe a little extra attention to rolling/rubbing/stretching your *kitten* would help?

Of course, I say find a good pt to help with this because the pelvis is complicated.

I know that pain. It's horrible. DH doesn't understand how I hate hate hate car rides. I'm better but still have heated seats that are almost always on.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @Elise4270 I use my heated car seat as a heating pad too :#
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @RespectTheKitty I'll third the magnesium, I was getting the random small cramps and started taking a supplement daily and they have completely gone away. It has been great and magnesium is cheep so I just take them without worrying if I need to or not.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@lissadecker while I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a Deadhead (I have a minimal tie-dye wardrobe), I do love listening to the Dead both at work and on my runs. I'm an all-around jamband fan, leaning mostly towards The Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Derek Trucks/Tedeshi Trucks, Galactic, Leftover Salmon, Bela Fleck, Karl Denson, The New Mastersounds, Little Feat, Steve Kimock Band, Yonder Mountain String Band, etc.

What about Gov't Mule?!?!
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Dec: 30 miles running.

exercise.png

1st: 3.16 miles Wk8:D3 C210k - MTD 3.16
    2nd: 0 miles - MTD 3.16
    3rd: 4.24 miles, 3.11 LH Park Run, Wk9:D1 C210k, 1.13 warm up and cool down - MTD 7.39
    4th: 0 miles - MTD 7.39
    5th: 0 miles - MTD 7.39
    6th: 4.1 miles with my running club. Really pleased with my run, even though it was cold and damp - MTD 11.49
    7th: 0 miles, over 6 miles on my Fitbit from purposeful walking, strength training - MTD 11.49
    8th: 4.13 miles 2 m speed training, 2 miles cool down along the Prom - MTD 15.62
    9th: 0 miles - MTD 15.62
    10th: 0 miles - MTD 15.62
    11th: 0 miles - MTD
    12th: 4.1 miles Wk9:D2 C210k - MTD 19.72
    13th: 0 miles - MTD
    14th: 0 miles - MTD
    15th: 2.21 miles - MTD 21.93

Planned Races
    Rudolph Red Nose 5 - Dec 24th

I've really struggled this week stamina wise thanks to the virus I caught of my grandbaby - beginning to feel better as I managed, sort of, to participate in a club training session. No going for broke for me .... just gentle half mile laps.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Thanks everyone for the tips on the driving leg. I have been looking up stretching exercises and hope to get it resolved. Or just never drive. I'll just cycle and run everywhere, lol.

The people in my cycling group were all talking about getting this light for when they cycle at night. I never cycle in the dark (not yet anyway). But it looks like it was really made for running anyway:

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

Very tempted for my night runs. I don't like things that use batteries though. Prefer to just charge them with the USB. But 40 hours wouldn't be bad I guess.

@ddmom0811 I look at this from time to time, I hear they are awesome. My neighbor has one that makes her look like a running Christmas tree. I have been through like 7 smaller lights, one I used one time (but it take batteries so that okay), but honestly lights hate me.
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Today was my coldest run outside so far, -24*C with 31 km/hr winds. Luckily I layered up enough that the cold and wind weren't too bad, although it took 3 layers over my ears to keep them warm. I think I managed to avoid frozen eyelashes like some of the others here because I wear glasses, but my nose was so red after my run that I looked like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!

Date Km Today - Km for Dec.
    12/1 6.17 - 6.17
    12/4 5.77 - 11.94
    12/6 5.34 - 17.28
    12/8 3.23 - 20.51
    12/11 5.76 - 26.27
    12/13 5.67 - 31.94
    12/15 5.7 - 37.64
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Resolution Run 5km - 12/31
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1 – 8.08 warmup + speed work
    12/2 – rest day
    12/3 – 10.13 warmup + 5K race + easy 30 minutes
    12/4 – 8.07 easy
    12/5 – rest day
    12/6 – 5.96 warmup, speed work, cool down
    12/7 – 6.00 easy
    12/8 – 3.78 easy
    12/9 – 3.80 course preview
    12/10 – 5.01 USATF Club Nationals Masters 8K
    12/11 – 2.57 easy
    12/12 – 10.15 easy
    12/13 – 6.21 hills
    12/14 – rest day
    12/15 – 5.25 with wind and snow

December total to date – 75.00

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Finish transition to healthy running. Use Club Nationals as a learning experience on managing air travel to a race. Build a base toward Boston training. Avoid re-injury

Today's notes – Hey, look at that: I threw out a no-think goal of 150 miles, and I'm exactly halfway there today, halfway through the month. It would never happen that way if I planned it.

Winter weather is here a few weeks earlier than I'd like. Woke to a dusting of snow on the driveway. When I looked again, it was coming down. Got out about 11 to shovel an inch of fluffy snow; aside from shoveling being cold, it wasn't too bad. But more snow was forecast for this evening.

So I got out to run in the heat of the day at 2 PM: 17º F (-8º C) with 24 mph W wind and some of that fluffy snow blowing around. I had the familiar mental game of thinking it's too cold, dressing, and being okay in the weather . . . at least where I was sheltered from the wind. It certainly felt like a 24 mph wind when I was heading west!

There was more traffic than I'd like to see, particularly the part I ran on the RIT campus. Campus traffic scares me. Some of the drivers will be inexperienced, and I don't know which ones unless I see one doing something stupid. But I survived, even though I was forced onto shoulders with loose-packed snow more than I had hoped. On the bright side, there was never any question about footwear. It was the trail shoes all the way, anticipating I'd see some snow cover. I needed them.

On the way back, I had the bad luck to find a snow plow coming down my side of the road. It wasn't as scary as it might have been, because I had plenty of room to cross to the other side; but then I was running in the same direction as traffic and it was prudent to stay on the snowy shoulder until the plow and the backed up traffic behind it passed.

I had planned to run between 6 and 6.5 miles, but this was the first run of the season in real winter running conditions. I'm not totally acclimated to the conditions yet, and a bit over 5 miles was about what I could handle. On the bright side, even with worrying about the traffic my heart rate strayed above Zone 2 for less than 3 minutes out of 41.

How bad was the wind? My full mile splits were 8:05, 7:53, 7:59, 7:40, and 7:42. My heart rate stayed lower for the faster last 2 miles, when I had the wind at my back. In exposed areas on that stretch, my back felt cold. At least that was better than going into the wind, when the loose hood from my outer layer kept blowing off. (Now, while I'm thinking about it, I need to put a diaper pin on that hoodie so I can avoid that issue in the future.)

After reading some of the conditions others here have, I feel like a bit of a wimp for not getting my 6 miles in when it's warmer than what others have; but my legs are happy with stopping earlier, and I suppose I can claim I'm still working on building mileage slowly.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY) finished in 42:38, First Senior (60+) Male
    December 3, 2016 Freezeroo #1 (Don Curran Memorial 5K) (Gates, NY) finished in 20:06
    December 10, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL) finished in 33:38
    December 17, 2016 Reindeer Run 5K (Rochester, NY)

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 10K) (Webster, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Ok, so I am having a bit of anxiety about my 20-miler on Christmas Eve. If, for some reason, I can't get 20 miles in that day do I do the 20 the following weekend? I don't want 18 to be my longest run.

The marathon is 1/15 and my training plan is 12/17 10 miles, 12/24 20 miles, and 12/31 10 miles.

I fear two things:
    1) It will be far too cold out for me despite trying to get cold weather gear.
    2) I will be glutened Friday while at my parents. I know they try but not being around them I don't think they fully get how bad I was and how bad it is when I am glutened (celiac disease).

I just want to have a plan in case something goes wrong.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Ok, so I am having a bit of anxiety about my 20-miler on Christmas Eve. If, for some reason, I can't get 20 miles in that day do I do the 20 the following weekend? I don't want 18 to be my longest run.

The marathon is 1/15 and my training plan is 12/17 10 miles, 12/24 20 miles, and 12/31 10 miles.

I fear two things:
    1) It will be far too cold out for me despite trying to get cold weather gear.
    2) I will be glutened Friday while at my parents. I know they try but not being around them I don't think they fully get how bad I was and how bad it is when I am glutened (celiac disease).

I just want to have a plan in case something goes wrong.

My advice? Haha! I can't run 1 mile!

Control the things you can control.

Maybe pack a safe meal to take to your parents. I'd think a parent would try very hard to understand. I think if you commucate this ahead if time, you can fall back on the "i told you" and it's not as likely to be taken wrong.

The weather? Treadmill? Or brave the elements. You could always plan a short loop to see if you are dressed for it. What's predicted? Others might have specific experience/advice.

Good luck!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So I am now officially signed up for the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon. Another shot at a BQ.

After how my week has gone, I needed to hear something awesome and, for me,this is it.