December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ok, so I am having a bit of anxiety about my 20-miler on Christmas Eve. If, for some reason, I can't get 20 miles in that day do I do the 20 the following weekend? I don't want 18 to be my longest run.

The marathon is 1/15 and my training plan is 12/17 10 miles, 12/24 20 miles, and 12/31 10 miles.

I fear two things:
    1) It will be far too cold out for me despite trying to get cold weather gear.
    2) I will be glutened Friday while at my parents. I know they try but not being around them I don't think they fully get how bad I was and how bad it is when I am glutened (celiac disease).

I just want to have a plan in case something goes wrong.

My advice? Haha! I can't run 1 mile!

Control the things you can control.

Maybe pack a safe meal to take to your parents. I'd think a parent would try very hard to understand. I think if you commucate this ahead if time, you can fall back on the "i told you" and it's not as likely to be taken wrong.

The weather? Treadmill? Or brave the elements. You could always plan a short loop to see if you are dressed for it. What's predicted? Others might have specific experience/advice.

Good luck!

I usually take snacks (hard to take much more on airplanes). They do try and I'll send them a shopping list of safe foods. I just worry. They didn't have any food for me at my grandpa's funeral and my dad had to drive me somewhere to get something because I was getting lightheaded from not eating.

It's apparently very cold there right now, like 3F but feels like -5F. Looks like 31/25F Christmas Eve but I'm used to like 40 as a low. I thought about the treadmill but I have never done more than 5 on a treadmill. I would prefer doing all my training outdoors since the run is outdoors. I can use the treadmill as a last resort.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am having a bit of anxiety about my 20-miler on Christmas Eve. If, for some reason, I can't get 20 miles in that day do I do the 20 the following weekend? I don't want 18 to be my longest run.

The marathon is 1/15 and my training plan is 12/17 10 miles, 12/24 20 miles, and 12/31 10 miles.

I fear two things:
    2) I will be glutened Friday while at my parents. I know they try but not being around them I don't think they fully get how bad I was and how bad it is when I am glutened (celiac disease).

Maybe pack a safe meal to take to your parents. I'd think a parent would try very hard to understand. I think if you commucate this ahead if time, you can fall back on the "i told you" and it's not as likely to be taken wrong.

The weather? Treadmill? Or brave the elements. You could always plan a short loop to see if you are dressed for it. What's predicted? Others might have specific experience/advice.

Good luck!

I usually take snacks (hard to take much more on airplanes). They do try and I'll send them a shopping list of safe foods. I just worry. They didn't have any food for me at my grandpa's funeral and my dad had to drive me somewhere to get something because I was getting lightheaded from not eating.

It's apparently very cold there right now, like 3F but feels like -5F. Looks like 31/25F Christmas Eve but I'm used to like 40 as a low. I thought about the treadmill but I have never done more than 5 on a treadmill. I would prefer doing all my training outdoors since the run is outdoors. I can use the treadmill as a last resort.

Oh ya, the plane. I pictured a short drive over the hill and through the woods...

I ran last year in the low 30's and enjoyed it. For me the key was warm gloves, and smartwool stockings (winter running socks). I have a nike running vest and good night, it has to be really cold to wear it for anything longer than an hour.

I agree the TM isn't ideal.

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    The people in my cycling group were all talking about getting this light for when they cycle at night. I never cycle in the dark (not yet anyway). But it looks like it was really made for running anyway:

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

Very tempted for my night runs. I don't like things that use batteries though. Prefer to just charge them with the USB. But 40 hours wouldn't be bad I guess.
    I had one - the only reason I don't use it now is that the fiber optic line broke (after about 6-7 months of nearly daily use) and I couldn't manage to jerry-rig a fix. But it's very comfortable and VERY visible. Been thinking about investing in a new one.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    It only gets to -2C mimimum here! And that's maybe one or two mornings a year.

I have a friend in Calgary who runs at -20C!

That is just incredible to me, but she says she sees at least 10 other runners when she does it in the early morning.

@Orphia If your Calgary friend was to get in her car and point it North she would need to drive hard for 8-9 hours to reach my little town. To me she is close to being one of the Southern Belle's.

@OSUbuckeye906 look at you getting it done in the cold B) 4 miles in 37:30 (9:23 pace) in -10F windchill.
    I like that you didn't worry about pace and that was a great self evaluation Post Run of clothing and shoes. I find most of the Slip on Traction Aids change the foot-strike too much for my comfort so I have one pair of Screw Shoes. The rest of the time it is just Trail Shoes as they have a little better traction. LOL at Eye lashes freezing together that's a sign that you get to take the title of Winter Warrior and add it to your running titles. I believe some one called them Lash-icicles.

@juliet3455 Wow! Are you one of Santa's elves? :smile:

I Googled for a photo of some screw shoes.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=screw+shoes+running&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=770&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji_fDI2ffQAhVIWLwKHSf-D9oQ7AkIQw

Not sure if the screw head is supposed to be in contact with the ground, or the pointy screw end.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

I fear two things:

Good luck!

Oh ya, the plane. I pictured a short drive over the hill and through the woods...

I ran last year in the low 30's and enjoyed it. For me the key was warm gloves, and smartwool stockings (winter running socks). I have a nike running vest and good night, it has to be really cold to wear it for anything longer than an hour.

I did a 5K a few years ago in like 12 degrees. I've got gloves & I bought a vest. I have a variety of long sleeve shirts. My upper body gets cold easy. I also bought a buff-like thing from Headsweats to wear on my neck that I could pull up over my face if needed.

Socks. I need to get a pair of those. All mine ae short, regular running socks. I'm off to check amazon!
  • Elise4270
    Options

I fear two things:

Good luck!

I did a 5K a few years ago in like 12 degrees. I've got gloves & I bought a vest. I have a variety of long sleeve shirts. My upper body gets cold easy. I also bought a buff-like thing from Headsweats to wear on my neck that I could pull up over my face if needed.

Socks. I need to get a pair of those. All mine ae short, regular running socks. I'm off to check amazon!

I have the buff too! Its a little warm here usually but it's great to have, especially as I loop back and peel off layers. I also have one set of smartwool base layer.

I have no excuse not to get out.... Haha!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

I fear two things:

Good luck!

I have the buff too! Its a little warm here usually but it's great to have, especially as I loop back and peel off layers. I also have one set of smartwool base layer.

My plan is to do a 5 mile loop so I can add or remove layers as needed. Only problem with that is they live on top of a hill. I don't have hills. :D
  • Elise4270
    Options

I fear two things:

Good luck!

My plan is to do a 5 mile loop so I can add or remove layers as needed. Only problem with that is they live on top of a hill. I don't have hills. :D

Be some dam fine trainin'! You do 20 and that 26.2 will be a cake walk! Or ice cream walk! :smiley:

My husband bought some Hot Chilly last year, Said they were too warm for him. I think they are cheaper than smartwool, maybe half the price. Just fyi.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Not sure if the screw head is supposed to be in contact with the ground, or the pointy screw end.

@Orphia This Picture says it best. I don't imagine you will ever need Screw Shoes unless you Travel to Calgary in winter and run a race with your friend. Screw head to the Ground - that's why it is important to use a short screw so you don't get a Foot Bed Penetration. I would have placed the screws on top the Knobby - not beside them - to ensure this.

kujrsak54n8k.jpg
  • Strandbergm
    Strandbergm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Update: 21.1/50 miles complete
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

My goal is 50 miles this month. My job is crying for us to pick up overtime.

12/2....4.73 miles on the treadmill, rolling hills, pace at 13:20, average heart rate at 82% max.
    12/4....2.85 miles on the treadmill.
    12/7....3.52 miles on the treadmill, max heart rate at 88%, pace at 13:02.
    12/9.....3.95 miles on the treadmill, max heart rate at 80%. pace at 12:45
    12/13....4.42 miles on the treadmill, max heart rate at 88%, pace at 11:19

I had the flu over the weekend. Felt better today...still with some stomach issues but better than yesterday. Going to stay away from dairy for a while to see if it helps.Initially thought the body aches were due to Zercher squats.

12/14.....4.98 miles on the treadmill, pace at 11:06. Not going to risk getting sick again.
    12/15....4.93 miles on the treadmill, pace at 11:19. Too cold (for me) to run outside. When it warms to 20 degrees +, I am going to try to run outdoors. Maybe wear tube socks over hands/lower arms, and then wear my leather mittens over it and leg warmers for ankles, lower legs. Treadmill every day this month....sigh.

Total...29.4 miles
    Goal....50 miles.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@Orphia This Picture says it best. I don't imagine you will ever need Screw Shoes unless you Travel to Calgary in winter and run a race with your friend. Screw head to the Ground - that's why it is important to use a short screw so you don't get a Foot Bed Penetration. I would have placed the screws on top the Knobby - not beside them - to ensure this.

kujrsak54n8k.jpg

Thanks, @juliet3455

I like to know what my fellow runners have to deal with. Interesting!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options

I fear two things:

Good luck!

As for food, if you don't think they'd be able to pick up what you need, could you do an online shop and get it delivered to their place?

I think you'll surprise yourself with the weather - give it a go and as long as the surface is OK for your footwear then I'm sure you'll do well and will be amazing mental preparation for whatever comes on your race day.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    After yesterdays double fast 5k, this morning was just an easy 5k. Had a dodgy stomach last night and not the greatest nights sleep as a result, so very tired to start but warmed to the task as I went on. Not a great deal else to report, except this may have to be the last day of my streak but we'll see if I can engineer a late mile tomorrow.

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
    7-Dec: 3.1k TM
    8-Dec: 5.3k easy
    9-Dec: 12.6k easy
    10-Dec: 2k short run
    11-Dec: 11k - 10k tempo plus warm-up
    12-Dec: 8.2k easy
    13-Dec: 1.8k streak run
    14-Dec: 12.5k hill circuit (4 laps; 295m climbing total)
    15-Dec (AM): 5.2k treadmill (5k fast)
    15-Dec (PM): 6k inc 5k fast
    16-Dec: 5.5k easy
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/6- 5.01
    12/7- 3.01
    12/8- 8.04
    12/9- 5.0
    12/10- 11.0
    12/11- Rest
    12/12- 5.21
    12/13- 5.01
    12/14- 5.4
    12/15- 4.0 after a 30 min eliptical workout.
    12/16- 6.03

Total: 84.12

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: 6 miles outside. I just could not bear the thought of 6 miles on the TM this morning, so I put on my outside gear and ran in the morning air. Conditions weren't all that bad, -4 with almost no wind made for pretty easy running. Goal pace was 9:40, so I was a bit fast today, but That's where I naturally fell into for pace, so I'm OK with that.

I have a Tabata HIIT workout on the schedule for today as well, but I had to go "hands on" with students this week, so I may have already have racked up the minutes of high intensity cardio. I'll see how I'm feeling after work before deciding on ditching it. With a 12 mile run and -5 temp set for tomorrow morning, a little extra rest tonight might not be a bad thing.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    The people in my cycling group were all talking about getting this light for when they cycle at night. I never cycle in the dark (not yet anyway). But it looks like it was really made for running anyway:

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

Almost all of my running is done early morning in the dark, so this would be absolutely ideal. I'd get to feel like an extra from Tron as a bonus.

--

02 - 11.77 miles
    03 - 5.39
    04 - 5.33
    05 - 11.30
    07 - 12.78
    09 - 13.94
    10 - 4.19
    12 - 10.32
    14 - 12.64
    16 - 12.43

Total: 100.09 / 125
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1- 5.2 miles solo+ 0.8 miles with Stella+ yoga
    12/2-4.4 AM miles (last 0.7 with Stella)
    12/3-11.2 miles
    12/4-6.2 miles
    12/5-Rest day (yoga)
    12/6-5 miles Fast Finish+ strength
    12/7-5.1 miles (last 1 with Stella)
    12/8-3.9 miles treadmill intervals
    12/9-7 miles
    12/10-4.1 miles ( 2 with Stella)
    12/11-12.1 miles
    12/12- Rest day
    12/13-5 miles (1 with Stella)
    12/14-5 miles
    12/15-4.1 miles treadmill intervals

@RunsOnEspresso - I am in the same boat with the gluten, so I understand your situation completely. Family and friends try very hard to accommodate, but they are just not used to dealing with it, so their kitchens are not equipped, especially when it comes to the little things like soy sauce and ketchup and all of those things that you know you buy GF, but they don't think to look, and you can't really expect them to. Even when you try your best to avoid anything with gluten, the cumulative effects of the little bits here and there add up and you always can feel it after a weekend away from home. Is it possible for you to do your 20 miler this weekend? I am not sure what your schedule has been looking like leading up to now, but that would be my ideal if you can swing it. I would avoid doing it on 12/31. Too close to your race.

@ddmom0811 - The noxgear stuff is really cool. There is a lot of it around our area because it was invented by a guy here in Dayton. When it first went to market, they had a night time 10K and they offered it at a 50% discount to all participants. I regret missing out on that one. The price is a bit steep, but you probably wouldn't hesitate to spend that on a jacket...I feel like that little devil sitting on your shoulder...

exercise.png