Insanity Workout and My Inability to do a Push Up

Options
So I've started the Insanity workout, doing day 5 today. I can't keep up or jump as high as the human machines in the video, of course, but I hold my own. However, I cannot for the life of me, do a push up! The so-called girly push ups are extremely hard for me too.

So my question is, how do I work towards doing an actual push up? What conditioning, steps, etc. has anyone tried to get to that level where a push up is doable? Is weight training a part of it? How long would all of that take? I really want to keep up as best I can and I think learning to do a push up will help me finish the Insanity program and also accomplish something I've never ever been able to do.

Replies

• kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You can start out just doing them against a wall or on your staircase - start with the highest step you can reach. Then, as they get easier move down to a lower and then lower step until you're almost to the floor. The, go to the floor but do them from your knees. I'm finally able to do 20 or so "girly style" after trying for a long time!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same exact way. I just did girl push ups every single day until I felt ready to try a "real" one. One day I tried and made it half way and fell on my stomach (like a baby learning to walk) :) Then I tried again and was able to do one full "real" push up. It hurt like h--- but I just kept doing as many as I could everyday and when I couldn't do anymore "real" ones I moved on to girly ones. I still can't do a lot at once and certainly not as fast as the people in the Insanity video but I've come a long way from not being able to do one. You will be able to do it if you keep trying it.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other replies... keep doing them, and with insanity you will get better and faster with everything you do... keep up with it!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You can also start out doing them by holding onto the edge of a table or counter and pushing off of that. I do them on a bar at the gym. We keep setting the bar lower and lower while I build strength.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with my pushups also when I started doing Insanity.....at first I just held myself up in the plank position while they did the push up.....b/c I felt the burn then....
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Repitition! I joined the Army without being able to do a single pushup... after 9 weeks, I could do 30 full push-ups in 2 minutes (not that great but better than 0). Basically, everyday you have to try, start on your knees and go to muscle failure daily... also, bench press or chest press machines help. Takes a while to build and unfortunately goes away if you don't keep it up, but maintaining is much easier than building.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Walls and stairs work. So do negative reps...get into the "girlie" push up position and then lower yourself to the ground as slowly as you can. fight for all you are worth. Then get up and do it again, and again, and again...until you physically cannot control the rate of descent any longer. do that every 3rd day for a month and you'll see some results. BTW...negative reps hurt like HELL...so be prepared for sore muscles.
  • msjaxn69
    msjaxn69 Posts: 44
    Options
    Take either of the two previous suggestions. Either start out upright using a wall or step and working your way down or start out with the modified pushups. The more you do, the better your arm strength (bicep and tricep) and chest muscles will develop. While watching TV, at each commercial break do some modified pushups. Just keep doing them until you do a test to see if you can do regular pushups. I was using Tony Horton's Power 90 DVD's and that's what has help me get a little better at them. I can't get all the way where my chest touches the floor, but again, I'm working my way to that level. When I was able to do four regular ones, I was on cloud 9 the entire day. That just made me want to get better. Don't worry, it will happen. Just keep trying. Good luck and send a friend request if you'd like.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread...as I have the same exact issue. I can't do a push up to save my life. I really need to try and do them again. I was doing the 30 day shred and I quit. I may start that back up again now that I am fitter and would actually be able to keep up with them...all except the push ups! UGH!
  • shevyface
    shevyface Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All of this has been especially helpful. Going to take all of this into account and work extra hard and keep at it and learn to do those cruddy things!
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just did my first plyometric cardio circut today and when it came to the four pushups I just did knee one's. Me trying to do normal pushups at the speed the people on there do is impossible and I'd more than likely fall flat on my face too.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    when i did my training with a trainer she said while i was at the gym to do them agains the weight lifting pole until i could do them better and if i was at home use a wall and work down once those are easy lean agains something else lower but make sure its sturdy! good luck
  • frances1018
    Options
    Yes thanks for posting this so I know I'm not alone. I can do girl pushups all day long just as fast as a person does a regular push up but I can't do a regular one and it frustrates me. I also do them leaning on my couch and I do that pretty good also but I want to do real pushups. My husband says I should lift dumbbells to strengthen my arms. So I do that also. I hate it because my 5 year old son can do pushups!! But I know it will get easier with time!