What do you tell yourself when you've reached the end of your calorie budget?

Options
It's 8:24 p.m. on Friday night and by my best estimate (of the calories in the homemade food), it would be good to stop eating now. How do you talk yourself out of having just one more nibble of that little something?

Replies

• healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You could do another work-out to get some more food, or figure out which foods have low calorie values (broth, popcorn, broccoli etc) or even go to bed if you are desperate.
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do the hunger question: Am I really hungry or is this the nibbles - really hungry might get a carrot or mug of broth - nibbles can go do one :-)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Sometimes I say, "What the heck! Let's have another bite or two!" It won't hurt to splurge a little sometimes. Other times when I feel like I may stuff my face because I am lacking self control for what ever reason I just walk away. OUt of sight is out of mind.
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If my stomach is not grumbling and I'm just mentally snackish I'll drink something like water, tea, decaf coffee etc... Or something very low calorie like maybe 10 baby carrots, or these 30 cal fruit cups I found. Half a small apple, or distract myself by cleaning the kitchen.

If you really don't want to eat anything more then it could be good to have some motivational pictures on your fridge or just reading some MFP posts or watching weight loss YT videos. I find those things help me stay on track.
  • fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you so much for these suggestions! The first 2 got me through yesterday, and these others are terrific tips too. The MFP community has many supportive people.
  • katiefbe
    katiefbe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    if I'm just bored and wanting to nibble I hit visualbmi.com or the boards on here to remind myself what I'm working towards. If I'm genuinely hungry then its a slice of wholegrain with peanut butter to fill enough of the gap so that I'll sleep. Roll on breakfast time!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I eat lower calorie foods that fill me up more usually and I'm usually pretty satisfied at the end of the night. My trouble is the other macros, especially sodium.

1.3 cups of Italian sausage is showing 2225mg, that's high in my opinion. Busting sodium isn't great for losing weight as far as I know...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go to bed and watch tv in there or read.
  • ArkadyRose
    ArkadyRose Posts: 16 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I drink a pint of water. It fills your stomach, giving your brain that "I'm full" signal of satiation that turns off the little cravings - and helps keep you hydrated. Then I find something to do that keeps me occupied mentally so I don't find myself tempted any further.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I drink carbonated water with lemon in it, brush my teeth, chew gum, drink tea... lots of ways to keep yourself from eating over your calories. But if you feel you absolutely need it, stick to a veggie without dip! Then your calories will only be going over by a few
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I just have a hot drink or glass of Diet Coke and just stick it out. Cravings pass.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    If I'm actually hungry, I will allow myself to eat up to maintenance (my deficit is big enough that I can fit a full meal in, 500 calories). If I'm just snacky or wanting to munch, I mentally smack myself and stay out of the kitchen. ;)
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    carrots, oranges, peppers or watermelon help me. you get a lot of volume for not much calories. and the hassle of peeling an orange is often enough that I don't want it any more!
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    katiefbe wrote: »
    if I'm just bored and wanting to nibble I hit visualbmi.com or the boards on here to remind myself what I'm working towards. If I'm genuinely hungry then its a slice of wholegrain with peanut butter to fill enough of the gap so that I'll sleep. Roll on breakfast time!

Thanks, interesting website! I especially like the before/after pictures
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I am doing it right, I try to figure out if it is head hunger or body hunger. Head hunger gets fed water, tea, a sugar-free popsicle, or exercise. Body hunger gets fed fuel.