Dogs and Running

Options

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Running is not great for me, and walking is generally boring, so I found cycling as something that worked for me and my malinois mix. He took 0 seconds to figure out what was going on, and repetition made it simple, such as he was on my right for the first run down our dirt road, then onto pavement where he got the sidewalk and I stayed in the road, then to the first left where I'd pause and have him switch to the left of the sidewalk where the road was then on the right.

He loved it. Unfortunately some jerks with intact pitbulls moved in at the entrance to our road (we're on a dead end) and since my dog will attack any intact male dog, even though he's neutered himself, we've had to stop walks and bike runs for safety, the dogs have already come down the road once and killed 9 of my neighbors chickens.

Have to keep all of the dogs home now, 5 of them, At least until I find my pepper spray and a comfortable holster for my protection.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @SLLeask lol my friend used to ride her bike with her dog until one day he just stopped mid run to poop and she wrecked :)
    My dog Echo has stopped to poop before too, but with the bike tow leash attachment, all that happens is the bike slows down, it's like putting on the brakes. Echo doesn't even try to stop anymore, she just sqats and poops as she runs. She's very talented, lol.

• cncolligan
    cncolligan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I run with my 2 year old German Shepherd Zöe and we both love it! We usually go about 5km but have gone as far as 8km. Its more of a jog than a run lol and its either on trails in the woods or dirt roads. I loop her leash through my running belt that holds my phone etc and it did take a lot of training, but she doesn't pull anymore. Its super cold and snowy here now, so I don't think we can run outside for a couple months, but maybe I'll take her x country skiing :)
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I take my dog once in awhile. I used to take her always, until I started running greater than 6 miles on my daily runs. She was having a hard time keeping up. Any runs of a lesser amount she does well. When I do take her she seems to enjoy the run and she is delightful.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I run with my Silky terrier and my Labradors.. I just started running and only recently started to take them with me but it's awesome. We're currently doing 3 km at a time.. But working our way up to 5
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo If your profile photo is Wick - what a beauty!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    @WickAndArtoo If your profile photo is Wick - what a beauty!

Yes, that is Wick :) Thank you!
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I run with my 18 month old lab. She is so full of energy! We've got all the canicross gear and she pulls out in front. She knows all the commands now- faster, slower, stop, go left, go right etc. She absolutely loves to run. We are lucky to live near loads of beautiful woodland trails. This morning we got a new 5k PB! 27:43. I was pretty pleased with that.

Think we'll brave a Parkrun on Saturday and see how we do! Hoping to enter some canicross races next year.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is Stella - she's a terrier mystery mix. I adopted her from rescue in October, and she's is about 2 years old (best guess). She is turning into a great running buddy! (We're not actually running in the second picture - just a walk, but I didn't have any picture of our running gear set up).

j01wlt9xsdqz.jpg
    qpvszzw4odpr.jpg

@EauRouge1 I wasn't familiar with canicross but I just looked it up. Cool! I use the waist belt with bungee leash already anyway, so we are basically doing that. I'd love to teach her some more commands - but she is pretty much all about pulling hard and going fast!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Seeing this cool pics makes me want a dog to run with.

I wonder if I could teach my cat to run with me? :D
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to add a picture! Argh!
    @genpopadopolous From a PC At the top of the Reply/Message block are a group of editing symbols
    Just hover your mouse pointer over them and a drop down will appear describing the function.
    You want the page with a corner turned down for attach image/file
    puztt16fg42q.jpg
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Seeing this cool pics makes me want a dog to run with.

I wonder if I could teach my cat to run with me? :D

Haha!!! Good luck with the cat!! :) one thing (that you may already know but I did not) to keep in mind is that they recommend to not run a dog until they are 1-2 years old (depending on breeds) because their growth plates aren't closed yet and it can affect their joints/bones. Which means if you get a puppy, they will not be a running buddy for a while :( but adult dogs are fully grown and running ready!! Another perk to adopting adults lol.
  • kristinaschmidt129142
    Options
    I bring my 5 1/2 year old chocolate lab with me on every run. We do about 16 miles every week and she loves it! We started off on short runs as I was out of shape and she got used to it. One tip I have if you don't already have it is to buy a waist leash that has a bungee on it that attaches to your dogs harness. That way if there's another dog or animal around, you won't get completely yanked off step if your dog chases something.

Good luck, this is great for you and your dog!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @kristinaschmidt129142 thanks for the tip, I definitely am going to get one, luckily he is pretty small (40 lbs) but boy when he sees a rabbit it feels like 100!
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @Asher_Ethan Wick unfortunately got attacked by an offleash dog last year and was injured pretty severely, he has been very vocal about his fear of dogs ever since. :( he is getting much much better recently so there is hope!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    So cute!

My dog is still a puppy but we got him planning for me to run with him as soon as we get the vet's OK that he's finished growing and ready to run (so next summer/fall). I am so excited to have a running buddy so I hope he takes to it. I've been reading online that you should start them with a walk/run program like new human runners, so that's my plan right now.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    @peleroja how exciting!! It's so hard to wait for them to be fully grown!!! But totally worth it. What kind of puppy do you have??
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have an Australian kelpie and she used to run with us, when she was younger.
    We never went more than 5 miles though, and usually stopped and gave her some time off leash in the middle. (During which time she used to try to herd us, course!)
    Can I suggest that you be careful and not go too far? Dogs want to please us and it is hard to know when they are overdoing it when they are on a leash and we keep going. I've seen dogs do amazing things -- and I know wolves can cover 50 miles and even more in a single day. But I think it is better to err on the side of caution with a pet.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    gmiaq7k75kja.png

My 5 year old blue Merle
    After a thrashing
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    mib0sz69ldy8.jpg
    Here's my running buddy! She's half border collie, 1/4 shepherd and 1/4 black lab. At about 10 years old she can still outrun me! I think she should have been a sled dog, she sure thinks I'm a sled to be pulled. I usually run about two miles with her then drop her at the house and finish my run.