1200 cal diet

Options
2»

Replies

• dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 cals and ate half of exercise cals, but due to exercise weight gain (excess water) put on 12lbs. This very much played a part on me quitting exercise(and maybe becoming obsessed by the scale). I exercise now 6 days a week(re-started, watching the scales 3-4 times a day), and am losing weight, i eat rarely into my exercise cals, but, everybody is different, see what works for you, pay attention to salt, sugar and carbs. What happens to your body and weight, when. You will soon figure out what works well for your body. :)
  • hkrosez
    hkrosez Posts: 53
    Options
    I am trying to use the 1200 diet, but I'm starving most of the day. It's also difficult because my office brings in breakfast and caters lunch a lot. We also have parties for birthdays and bring in cupcakes or w/e. I try really hard, but since I am starving my body anyway, it's difficult. I have been on this diet for about 2 weeks. I only want to lose a very small amount of weight.

Honestly, I am very frustrated with yoyo weighting. . . I lose a pound, gain a pound, and MFP says I should have been down 5 lbs in 5 weeks, and I have GAINED 3 pounds since this diet.

I do exercise, but not vigorously. I work out at least once a day, bike riding, or walking, etc.

I'm in need of advice as well.. I have tried to cut out a lot of my hydrogenated oils, added sugars, preservatives, etc. from my diet, but still -- no signs of weight loss. I'm very frustrated. Any ideas. Sorry I couldn't contribute more.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    so i was curious for everyone who has been dieting with 1200 cals and little excerise what has your outcome been have you lost alot of weight without doing much excerise and how long has it took? any info id appreciate thanks!

1200 cals may be okay to begin with, but you will HAVE TO increase your calories as you start losing weight or else you will go into starvation mode and everything will come to a screeching halt. Been there, done that. And exercise is a must. Eating right will only get you so far. Sad but true.

I would also like to add that for me 1200 calories made me binge like a crazy person every other week or so. I would be telling myself to stop eating but really couldn't control myself. I would do great during the week staying with 1200 but late nights or weekends I would gain back the few I lost during the week but overdoing a meal or two. Now I am eating 1500 calories per day, I exercise the same amount, and I am losing much more quickly without any issues with binging. I have a desk job and don't feel I am very active at work, but even walking to the copier burns a few calories and 1200 (IMO) is doing nothing, laying in bed and just breathing.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Fist you want to go with what MFP or the Doctor recommends and work your way down to 1200. At the same time you have to increase the exercise, down 100 calories per day up the exercise by 5 or 10 minutes depending on your beginning level.

Once there, if you plateau you may need to start eating back some of your calories. It may not happen for some time it truly depends on how much you have to lose.

You want to limit as much processed food as possible, also limit carbs, fat and sodium and increase your protein, fiber and water along with the exercise.

Water should be 64oz a day, try to limit or get off soda if possible.

Log all your food and all your exercise. Remember exercise is time devoted to exercising not any daily activities.

Best of Luck, You Can Do It!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, you can actually eat a lot of food on a 1200 calorie diet. it just depends on what you eat. Red meats=no-no. Chicken n Fish are so awesome in protein and so little calories for what you are getting. I don't have issues with feeling starved at all.

I will have to leave the 1200 calorie a day diet though soon. because I am getting closer and closer to my goal weight.....but it has worked wonders for me. at one point I was losing a 1lb a day for an entire month.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Fist you want to go with what MFP or the Doctor recommends and work your way down to 1200. At the same time you have to increase the exercise, down 100 calories per day up the exercise by 5 or 10 minutes depending on your beginning level.

Once there, if you plateau you may need to start eating back some of your calories. It may not happen for some time it truly depends on how much you have to lose.

You want to limit as much processed food as possible, also limit carbs, fat and sodium and increase your protein, fiber and water along with the exercise.

Water should be 64oz a day, try to limit or get off soda if possible.

Log all your food and all your exercise. Remember exercise is time devoted to exercising not any daily activities.

Best of Luck, You Can Do It!

this also has to be one of the best suggestions I have seen. Make sure you see a doctor and says its ok for you to do this. Make sure you drink a TON of water..... good post
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i hardly lost anything :/ so i switched to under 1,000 calories and am losing quickly =) I know a lot of people here dont recommend eating less than 1,200 calories....just like how the weight ranges for heights don't fit everyone, same goes for calories. If a 5'4" girl is given 1,200 calories per day...why would someone 7 inches shorter follow the same formula either?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!