How do you all stay strong at xmas

Options
donnamt2016
donnamt2016 Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2016 in Motivation and Support
I am currently half way though my weightloss to my ideal weight. I started in jan/feb and as well as adding walking and green smoothies i have cut out alcohol apart from a few slips along the way and also i am quite good at resisting the temptation of chocolate and donuts in the office....WELL apart from the last couple of weeks. My resistance is down and my desire to drink is up and it is all because ive stumbled into xmas mode. I know in the new year i will be back on it but im wondering those who allow a short xmas break how do you minamise the damage or those of you really strong people how do you avoid temptation and keep your motivation up?

Replies

• CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the right response, but I have gone over my calories the last couple of days with treats at work, and my way of dealing with it is thinking this: If I gain a few pounds, oh well, I know how to take them off. Also, I don't eat as much of the treats as I used to. I am a teacher, and I received gifts of chocolates and cookies. Before, I would eat many chocolates in one day. Now, I have two or three and enjoy every bite, even if they did cost me almost 300 calories. We are going to be staying with family for a few days over Christmas and I know there are many glasses of wine in my future then. I have decided to enjoy it, continue to log, and not be upset if I gain a few pounds. I've lost 47 pounds so far. I can lose whatever I gain. It's all a choice. Just be happy with your choice, whatever it is. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When I was losing weight I pretty much just took a break from Thanksgiving through the New Year with the objective to just maintain...I still ended up losing a few pounds though. For the most part, Christmas is just a couple of days of celebration for me and a holiday party or two (which really isn't any different than any other time of year...we always have social events on the calendar)...Ii don't go off the rails for an entire month.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You can indulge intelligently by saving calories for treats- if you stay within your calorie goal you can technically eat anything you want. Like if you skip that smoothie you can afford a cookie- but unfortunately holiday foods tend to be high in calories and low in nutrition so remember to take your vitamins and eat healthy low calorie nutrient dense foods throughout the rest of the day.

I find this challenging however since high sugar high fat foods tend to increase my appetite & cravings- so I tend to try to still keep indulging to a minimum, or if I'm going to go over calories or not track I do that only for 1 specific day like JUST thanksgiving day and Christmas Day- not every day between late November & New Years.

Remember your body has an unlimited capacity for storing fat but only a limited rate of fat loss... so you can do a lot of damage quickly if you eat excess calories during the holidays and it could take up to half a year to lose it and get back to where you are now. So try as best as possible to stick to your calorie limit.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    To stay motivated and not just think "screw it!" Maybe try writing down your goals, finding your "why", and maybe think of reasons you want to stay on track. Do you have an event coming up you'd like to look your best for? Do you want to feel confident in a swim suit by the summer? Do you have health conditions that losing weight will help diminish? Do you have fitness goals you want to accomplish?

It's easy to be influenced by all the indulgence going on around us at this time of year- it can be overwhelming- but try to refocus on why you started this journey.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Perhaps go to maintenance calories until after the holidays and be diligent about exercising a little bit every day. Use these extra calories to allow for an occasional glass of wine or eggnog and a sweet or two.
    Keep your awareness of what you are eating in the forefront and you will come through the Holidays in great shape to continue your journey.
    I found that part of this lifestyle change was to find ways to enjoy the special times. You can do this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Stay consistent as you can. It's the holidays. There will be lots of temptations. Just realize that if you don't go overboard, come January you should be fine. Don't fret, just be aware and make some good decisions. Don't eat a whole cookie. Don't drink a whole mug of eggnog. Just think of "sampling".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, I celebrate Christmas with my family and share our traditional meals with little counting.

To stay in an good dynamics, I take lean days in between. Like fresh lemon juice for breakfast, orange and carot juice for lunch, apples, bananas and cereals in the afternoon and a light evening meal.

As well as keeping my weigh approx the same, these lean days give my body a chance to rest a little, too, between meals being heavy to digest.

I love these lean days, rediscover the pleasure of fresh juice and fruits, I really recommend it
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I think of how awful I will feel physically from all the sodium and higher amounts of sugar in the treats. I'm not saying either is bad but I've been making better food choices so I can get the most out of my calories. If I go out to eat at a restaurant or eat large portions, I physically do not feel well; over full, bloated, retained water and sometimes a headache.
    Maybe my way isn't right or true for everyone but it's what keeps me "sampling" and not "over indulging."
    Good luck!
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Balance and moderation