I ALWAYS Go Over On My Sugar...

Options
How in the WORLD can I stay under my allotted sugar grams for the day when EVERYTHING has sugar in it? For breakfast, I like to have fruit or yogurt and that uses up almost all my sugar grams for the day... I try to get sugar free items as much as I can, but I still go over. Waaaahhh!!!

Replies

• CajunApril
    CajunApril Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I really think that is where my biggest problem lies. I have even started to set daily goals for myself and today was no sweets.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I cut out all store baought juices and now i'm barely over.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you're eating fruit and going over on your sugar, you're eating the wrong kind. Try berries. Raspberries. Blueberries. Blackberries. Boisenberries. Strawberries are higher on the sugar count but they're still great. You could also have your sugar set pretty low. I use dietitian.com/calcbody.php and they say my sugar intake should be about 60, whereas MFP told me it was 40. I've been set at 60 or a little higher for well over a year and have done fine even going over a little on sugar. Also just try not to buy things with fake sugar in it. Most breads have high fructose corn syrup, everything has added sugar. Don't buy that stuff. If you eat yogurt such as yoplait or dannon, switch to greek or nonfat plain yogurt and mix it with honey or fruit. Also, sugar-free is probably the worst stuff you could buy. You want to look for "no sugar added" stuff because you know it only has the sugar that is NATURALLY in whatever the product is... sugar-free is going to be more fattening so stay away from that stuff!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    ugh me too!! I'm trying to cut back but even "heatlty" food has sugars in it!!
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't even eat sweets and I still go over LOL - I'm guessing sugar in fruit is better for u than sugar in cookies or sweets... I hope, anyway!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No need to count fruit sugars if you don't want to. They're natural and easily metabolized. Focus on keeping your REFINED sugar down. Eat as naturally as possible and eat high fiber stuff and you'll be OK.
  • Grace139
    Grace139 Posts: 12
    Options
    Me too! I even made a conscious effort today to try to eat less sugar and went over with just my raisin bran and orange juice this morning!
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have cut down on fruit and replace it with vegetables.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't even eat sweets and I still go over LOL - I'm guessing sugar in fruit is better for u than sugar in cookies or sweets... I hope, anyway!

Your body processes sugar the same way whether from fruit or cookies. SUGAR = SUGAR.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy, and that kills my sugar too. It didn't slow down my weight loss at all. I'd be more concerned about added sugars than naturally occurring ones.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    fruits have a lot of natural sugar but so does milk and I notice you drink that pretty often I switched to unsweetened almond milk, much lower in calories and sugar and it taste pretty good too once you get use to it.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary for ideas - I just added sugar back today, so the last few days I'm sure I went over too, but today was a pretty good day for me.

Don't look at Tuesday - I trashed that day because I went to Six Flags. :blushing:
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    EXACTLY. I wish MFP would find a way to distinguish between the two. All you have to do to go over on sugar is eat an apple. It's pretty frustrating, but my nutritionist told me to more or less "ignore" the naturally occuring sugar when counting that part of my diet.
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. I appreciate it!! :)
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well MFP doesn't differentiate between cake sugar and fruit sugar even though they are different and your body can tell the difference. So be focusing on how much junk food sugar you are taking in and don't liisten to MFP on that one...
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    just happy im not the only one!
  • Xandralexa
    Xandralexa Posts: 87
    Options
    This has been my main problem too. It hasn't gotten in the way of my losing weight, but its so easy to go over. After breakfast, I'm already -11g over. I sit there thinking, jeez what is it going to look like at the end of the day? I've been trying new things and I notice there's some changes that need to be made. It's still annoying though.
  • Xandralexa
    Xandralexa Posts: 87
    Options
    If you're eating fruit and going over on your sugar, you're eating the wrong kind. Try berries. Raspberries. Blueberries. Blackberries. Boisenberries. Strawberries are higher on the sugar count but they're still great. You could also have your sugar set pretty low. I use dietitian.com/calcbody.php and they say my sugar intake should be about 60, whereas MFP told me it was 40. I've been set at 60 or a little higher for well over a year and have done fine even going over a little on sugar. Also just try not to buy things with fake sugar in it. Most breads have high fructose corn syrup, everything has added sugar. Don't buy that stuff. If you eat yogurt such as yoplait or dannon, switch to greek or nonfat plain yogurt and mix it with honey or fruit. Also, sugar-free is probably the worst stuff you could buy. You want to look for "no sugar added" stuff because you know it only has the sugar that is NATURALLY in whatever the product is... sugar-free is going to be more fattening so stay away from that stuff!

Thanks for sharing.
  • hannahbaby417
    Options
    Y'all should check out a book called "The Belly Fat Cure". He recommends only eating 15 grams of sugar a day. I'm not sure if that really is the best level or not but it's helped my diet and I feel so much better after cutting out most of the sugar I used to eat. He has a ton of low sugar/carb recipes and tells you what products are almost the same as the sugary ones that you've been using. It's amazing and I recommend y'all checking it out : )
  • FluffyLadii
    FluffyLadii Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not alone! That helps a lot, sugar is my weakness. Even when I think I make a good choice, it still has a load of sugar. Good info in this thread, thanks