do you do this? and also, have you noticed some of the datab

Options
Everyday I go walking at the park, I dont know what speed im walking (I feel I walk at more-than average pace. I can generally walk a mile in 30 minutes max) but I always put on my excercise tracker that i'm walking at "slow pace" because I dont want to put that I walked at a "high pace" and it say I burned more calories than I may actually have burned.

do you do this?

also, i've been noticing that some of the foods I put in, have the wrong calorie in the database -- not all of course, just some. (even if its the exact brand, same item--say something out of a bag or w/e) I always go back and delete it until I find one that is correct. have you had this problem?

Replies

• tiffanyquincey
    Options
    Instead of adding then deleting, there is a link you can push when choosing your serving size. I think its under how many confirmed. If you click on that you can see the info before adding it.
  • rachelstrickland
    rachelstrickland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? If so, download the app MapMyRun. You can put in your weight and then when you walk you can have it GPS where you walked and your average speed and calories burned. It's pretty awesome. There are other activities on there too such as running, biking, etc.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I mile in 30 mins is fairly slow tbh (2 mph) :indifferent:
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're walking 1 mile in 30 mins that means you'd walk 2 in an hour. That equals 2mph which is considered a slow pace. But to answer you're question, yes I do the same thing. I'd rather err on the side of caution and be pleasantly surprised then think I'm doing great and wonder why I'm not seeing results.
    I've noticed that about the calories also, but so far the database has been higher so I leave it. Again err on the side of caution.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? There are a ton of apps that track your route and pace. I use logyourrun.com, with an app on my iPhone. My average walking pace is 4 mph, or 15 minute miles. It would be a very slow walk for me to do 2 miles per hour. I also like it because I can see how much faster I've gotten at running.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Everyday I go walking at the park, I dont know what speed im walking (I feel I walk at more-than average pace. I can generally walk a mile in 30 minutes max) but I always put on my excercise tracker that i'm walking at "slow pace" because I dont want to put that I walked at a "high pace" and it say I burned more calories than I may actually have burned.

do you do this?

also, i've been noticing that some of the foods I put in, have the wrong calorie in the database -- not all of course, just some. (even if its the exact brand, same item--say something out of a bag or w/e) I always go back and delete it until I find one that is correct. have you had this problem?

What feels "fast" is very individual and based on your current fitness level, so it's not a great guide to your actual speed. It's a good to keep track of your perceived exertion though so you know how hard you are working. 30 minutes for a mile is a 2.0 mph pace.

If you have a smartphone, there are many free apps that will use the GPS feature of your phone to track your actual miles, speed, etc. If you don't, can you drive your route one day to get an estimate? Or find a park that has marked miles? Many parks that have running trails will have mile markers. Rails To Trails courses often have them as well.

Yes, many of the entries in the database are either wrong, incomplete or simply outdated. When you check the nutritional information, you do have the option to edit the entry if the information is incorrect.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? If so, download the app MapMyRun. You can put in your weight and then when you walk you can have it GPS where you walked and your average speed and calories burned. It's pretty awesome. There are other activities on there too such as running, biking, etc.

I dont have an Iphone (I have a motorola back flip) but I may be able to get that app :)) thank you.
  • smkcx♥
    Options
    If you're walking 1 mile in 30 mins that means you'd walk 2 in an hour. That equals 2mph which is considered a slow pace. But to answer you're question, yes I do the same thing. I'd rather err on the side of caution and be pleasantly surprised then think I'm doing great and wonder why I'm not seeing results.
    I've noticed that about the calories also, but so far the database has been higher so I leave it. Again err on the side of caution.

thank you, so it is slow pace :))
  • smkcx♥
    Options

I do the same thing unless I notice that it says less calories than what it actually has :)
  • smkcx♥
    Options

do you do this?

What feels "fast" is very individual and based on your current fitness level, so it's not a great guide to your actual speed. It's a good to keep track of your perceived exertion though so you know how hard you are working. 30 minutes for a mile is a 2.0 mph pace.

If you have a smartphone, there are many free apps that will use the GPS feature of your phone to track your actual miles, speed, etc. If you don't, can you drive your route one day to get an estimate? Or find a park that has marked miles? Many parks that have running trails will have mile markers. Rails To Trails courses often have them as well.

Yes, many of the entries in the database are either wrong, incomplete or simply outdated. When you check the nutritional information, you do have the option to edit the entry if the information is incorrect.

yeah, im really out of shape! lol I feel like im getting a good work out although theyre are people walking at the park too who do laps around me :) one day though, i'll be right there with them lol!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I dont have an Iphone (I have a motorola back flip) but I may be able to get that app :)) thank you.

So you have Android then. MapMyRun, My Tracks and Runkeeper are all on Android. I'm sure there are others as well.
  • smkcx♥
    Options

So you have Android then. MapMyRun, My Tracks and Runkeeper are all on Android. I'm sure there are others as well.

thank you very much I will search for some apps :))
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options

Very awesome - gonna check this out - Thanks :D