SCARED of loose skin

Options
I'm trying to lose at least 100 pounds and chances are i will have some loose skin, im super terrified.. sometimes it makes me want to give up because I'd rather be plus sized at the beach, then be skinny but with like 10lbs of loose skin just sitting around. Ive already talked to my family and they promised me a tummy tuck (as bday or Christmas gift) but Im worried about my thighs and arms. Has anybody on here lost a lot of weight and ended up not having a lot of loose skin on their arms etc?

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I did a TT a few years ago to help with twin skin and repair ab muscles.

It was worth it.

You should check out RealSelf for experiences there. I met some ladies that had lost 100+ and went through the whole shabang.

Good luck!
  • TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am going to put this bluntly, are you really prepared to say vanity (how you look) is more important than health? Realize as time goes by we will all get wrinkled. It is part of ageing. For that matter, if how you look is so important to you, 100 pounds of extra fat doesn't look good at all.

I'm definitely not saying that looks are more important than health.. which is why I'm trying to lose 100 pounds. But why not be healthy and look great?! I want to lose weight and FEEL great, I feel good right now and I'm happy with my body, but I know it's not healthy, but I also know that when I lose this weight, I'm not gonna feel good about loose skin, I'm not insecure now.. but will be if I have lots of loose skin. I know a few people who have loose skin and they're really insecure about it, more insecure than they were when they were "fat" I just don't want that to be me
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    TMK0214 wrote: »
    I am going to put this bluntly, are you really prepared to say vanity (how you look) is more important than health? Realize as time goes by we will all get wrinkled. It is part of ageing. For that matter, if how you look is so important to you, 100 pounds of extra fat doesn't look good at all.

I'm definitely not saying that looks are more important than health.. which is why I'm trying to lose 100 pounds. But why not be healthy and look great?! I want to lose weight and FEEL great, I feel good right now and I'm happy with my body, but I know it's not healthy, but I also know that when I lose this weight, I'm not gonna feel good about loose skin, I'm not insecure now.. but will be if I have lots of loose skin. I know a few people who have loose skin and they're really insecure about it, more insecure than they were when they were "fat" I just don't want that to be me

I still have skin issues after losing weight. Even though I hate it and it makes me self-conscious, I feel a million times better than I did when I was fat. I would never go back.
  • TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

As good as you think you might feel now you will feel a million times better with the weight off. I've only lost 11 pounds so far and already feel better physically- it's easier to get up stairs, exercise, run, clothes fit better, I have more stamina & energy... you can't possibly feel "good" with 100 excess pounds on your frame.

Chances are you won't have much excess skin and most of what you have will be on your stomach which your family already has said they will pay to fix.

The sooner you get started the less likely it is you will get loose skin because the younger you are the better and the less you have to lose the better. If you wait till you are a few years older and a few pounds heavier to lose the weight the chances increase for loose skin.

Why not get started, try it, and see?

Also I have never understood how someone can say they feel fine with how they look with 100 pounds of extra body fat that everyone can see ALL THE TIME (even the most flattering clothes cannot hide 100 excess pounds), but are afraid of a little loose skin that they can easily hide with clothing but have an otherwise perfectly healthy looking normal sized body- the only time anyone will see it is if you wear a bikini or naked. What percent of your life are you naked or wearing a bikini in front of someone anyways? Maybe like 1% of the time or less?

First of all it's about health, but when it comes to looks I'd rather only look bad 1% of the time rather than 100% of the time.

You might be worrying about nothing anyways- I've seen several people who have lost 100 pounds and have no loose skin at all.

Are you sure you're not just making excuses because you're really just afraid of change, or daunted by the work and time it will take to lose the weight?

I'm not making any excuses, i work out 6 days a week and im willing to do all the hard work, whatever it takes to lose this pregnancy weight. I just THINK about loose skin and how it would make me feel etc. definitely not a reason to stop working out, it's just like a "what if" kind of thing. I was worried about my stomach the most, but since I'll get the TT I'm not worried about it anymore, just my arms and thighs, since those are the main things bothering me right now, and I know it'll only get worse the more weight I lose. That's why I wanted to see if anyone lost lots of weight and managed to not have loose skin on their arms and thighs
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Lost 140 so far. I may go for another 20 come spring to try to get the last stubborn belly fat, but for now I'm maintaining. Yep, there is loose skin. No, I didn't look better before. No, I definitely don't regret the weight loss.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

As good as you think you might feel now you will feel a million times better with the weight off. I've only lost 11 pounds so far and already feel better physically- it's easier to get up stairs, exercise, run, clothes fit better, I have more stamina & energy... you can't possibly feel "good" with 100 excess pounds on your frame.

Chances are you won't have much excess skin and most of what you have will be on your stomach which your family already has said they will pay to fix.

The sooner you get started the less likely it is you will get loose skin because the younger you are the better and the less you have to lose the better. If you wait till you are a few years older and a few pounds heavier to lose the weight the chances increase for loose skin.

Why not get started, try it, and see?

Also I have never understood how someone can say they feel fine with how they look with 100 pounds of extra body fat that everyone can see ALL THE TIME (even the most flattering clothes cannot hide 100 excess pounds), but are afraid of a little loose skin that they can easily hide with clothing but have an otherwise perfectly healthy looking normal sized body- the only time anyone will see it is if you wear a bikini or naked. What percent of your life are you naked or wearing a bikini in front of someone anyways? Maybe like 1% of the time or less?

First of all it's about health, but when it comes to looks I'd rather only look bad 1% of the time rather than 100% of the time.

You might be worrying about nothing anyways- I've seen several people who have lost 100 pounds and have no loose skin at all.

Are you sure you're not just making excuses because you're really just afraid of change, or daunted by the work and time it will take to lose the weight?

I'm not making any excuses, i work out 6 days a week and im willing to do all the hard work, whatever it takes to lose this pregnancy weight. I just THINK about loose skin and how it would make me feel etc. definitely not a reason to stop working out, it's just like a "what if" kind of thing. I was worried about my stomach the most, but since I'll get the TT I'm not worried about it anymore, just my arms and thighs, since those are the main things bothering me right now, and I know it'll only get worse the more weight I lose. That's why I wanted to see if anyone lost lots of weight and managed to not have loose skin on their arms and thighs

I mean, you could always gain weight back if loose skin really bothers you that much.... (if you even have that much)
    I don't think many people would recommend that, but it's always an option. Just saying.

Don't let the fear of what may be stop you from even starting though. To lose even 50, 75, etc pounds will make a huge difference. 100 lbs is a long journey ahead.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    At your age, you have a very good chance your skin will tighten up, though it may actually take a couple of years longer than the weight loss itself. I am more than twice your age. I've lost 75 lbs total the last 5 years (still have 30 to go) and my skin has rebounded as much as it's going to, and surgery is not possible. When I hold up my arm, more than half of what you see is hanging skin. Is it painful & disturbing to see? You'd better believe it. Does it bother me? Yes! Would I trade the loose skin for the extra 75 lbs back? NO WAY! I look at it 2 ways. It's the visible evidence and a good reminder of the damage I did to my body for many years. It's also now a badge of honor. :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I forgot my point #2- just cross that bridge when you come to it (and make sure you come to it!)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I forgot my point #2- just cross that bridge when you come to it (and make sure you come to it!)

Yes, this!
    What I what thinking but couldn't figure out how to say it ahaha.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into possible surgical options for loose skin on arms and thighs if it does end up being a problem? It might tighten up over time anyways but if not I'm sure they have a version of the tummy tuck for the arms & legs too?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I admit...Loose skin sucks but.... Being fat sucked more.