Losing more than just 2 lbs a week

Options
I just started my fitness pal again, seeing as last time it didn't do any good. When i locked in my goal, it only said to lose 2 lbs a week at most, but I want to lose more than just that little bit. Any suggestions ? I'm 155 and want to be around 118-120 as a starting goal weight, i have no problem with keeping it off for long periods of time except for right now, and want to be at my starting goal weight as fast as possible. Tips / suggestions ? (Oh, and i don't want to gain any muscle mass, I'm aiming for petite / fragile, thanks.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You LOSE lean muscle while dieting.....even healthy dieting. So you don't have to worry about gaining lean muscle; that's not going to happen.

Fast weight loss sacrifices a larger percentage of existing lean muscle mass. That's the trade off - fast weight loss OR healthy weight loss.

I would think loss of lots of lean muscle mass results in a soft doughy look.....I dunno maybe you get to a "fragile" look when you are very underweight. Good luck maintaining "fragile".....it's going to be like being on a diet forever. The nice thing about maintaining a decent % of lean muscle.....you keep your metabolism up.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Two pounds a week at your size is already extremely aggressive. Losing that quickly could lead to you losing more muscle mass (by the way, you wouldn't be gaining muscle in a calorie deficit anyway), and losing even quicker could lead to a bunch of health problems. Which would you rather do: be at your goal weight as quickly as possible, or be at your goal weight and be healthy?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As others said, even 2 lbs/week is too aggressive for the amount of weight you have to lose. How tall are you? 1 lb/week is reasonable, but I'm curious about this body aesthetic you're striving for - "fragile". Can you clarify?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Why the rush?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I agree there are red flags here.

OP, what is your aim? Is it to be healthy? If so, give up the idea of losing 2lb a week or more. It will damage your health.

If your aim is to damage your health in order to look "fragile" (I find that word concerning in this context) nobody here is going to help you do that. Please, reconsider your goals and choose a healthy approach.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You are light and not far from your goal, set a sensible goal.
  • hazel756grl
    hazel756grl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How tall are you? You want to look fragile?

5'6, and yes.
  • hazel756grl
    Options
    If you want long term success you need to accept that it's a gradual process and it's only really healthy and sustainable if you lose up to 2 pounds a week (probably even less for you since your starting weight isn't that high).

I know it will take time, but I wanna up the anty. Maybe eat less cals or do more work outs.
  • hazel756grl
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    This is real life, not The Biggest Loser.

There's no "just" to 2 pounds per week.

At your weight, 0.5 pounds per week is realistic, and that's an average rather than week-after-week since weight loss isn't linear. You don't have enough excess fat to create a large enough deficit to lose 2 pounds per week in a healthy way.

Which is better: quitting because you aren't losing fast enough (so that you lose zero pounds over time) or plugging away to lose 0.5 pounds per week (so that you eventually reach your goal weight)?

Or, lose more than just 2 pounds, 0.5 ain't nothing.
  • hazel756grl
    Options
    I agree there are red flags here.

OP, what is your aim? Is it to be healthy? If so, give up the idea of losing 2lb a week or more. It will damage your health.

If your aim is to damage your health in order to look "fragile" (I find that word concerning in this context) nobody here is going to help you do that. Please, reconsider your goals and choose a healthy approach.

For me, I find that is my only approach. I don't see why everyone who posted didn't give me tips or suggestions, if ya'll weren't going to give me that, then I don't know why you guys even replied ? I'm not looking for people to tell me to set some new goal of losing less weight, that's not what I'm asking for.
This discussion has been closed.