Protein powder

Options
Hi. I have seen many people taking protein powder while dieting/ losing weight. Is it actually good for you and what is the purpose? X

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Its original purpuse was (and still is) to supplement protein when you can't get enough through diet. Now, it's also a hype - gives beginners an illusion of being hip and fit. It is also believed to be essential when exercising and dieting. It's not.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    It's a protein rich liquid food that's economical in term of cost and calories - but that's all it is.

Is it good for you?
    Higher levels of protein are helpful when in a calorie deficit (muscle sparing). That protein doesn't have to come from protein supplements.

But it's also become a fashion item, the copycat effect of seeing the fit, strong people in the gym with their protein shakers.
    (Hint - it's their training that got them fit and strong.)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't take protein powder. I find it easy to hit and exceed my protein minimum within my general diet

So no it's not necessary

I also tried it once, read too many threads about the deliciousness of protein fluff. They lied
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's a protein rich liquid food that's economical in term of cost and calories - but that's all it is.

Is it good for you?
    Higher levels of protein are helpful when in a calorie deficit (muscle sparing). That protein doesn't have to come from protein supplements.

But it's also become a fashion item, the copycat effect of seeing the fit, strong people in the gym with their protein shakers.
    (Hint - it's their training that got them fit and strong.)

LMAO at that conclusion ...and lo, away in a squat rack, a derp was born .
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I take it because I personally don't like to eat 3 pieces of meat a day. I also find it much more cost effective and efficient to just buy it in bulk quantities that way whenever I need a shake on the go or am not hitting my protein goal for the day I can quickly mix one up. They won't cause you to lose weight. If someone is trying to sell you a protein powder because it has fat burning abilities, save your money and go somewhere else.

I actually sampled a new protein that a sales rep brought to my gym awhile back and they claimed it burned fat due to proprietory ingredients. So infront of all the people in line I started grilling the rep with questions about the ingredients and for studies to which these ingredients were used. Long story short, that rep glares at me whenever she's at the gym now and a few people walked away with their money still in their pockets
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use Protein powder because it helps me hit my protein goals, plus i make dessert with it most every night. It has less calories and better macros than regular dessert type dishes that I'd usually go for, plus it keeps me full and satisfied, when a bowl of ice cream, jelly (jello), chocolate bar, Reeses PB cup etc etc would not.
  • DerrickCooper78
    DerrickCooper78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It may not be necessary for everyone. Does it work or is it safe, yes. It a supplement, not a meal. It's a quick easy way to get protein after a workout or to supplement a meal. For many people especially bigger people with more muscle, it's hard to find the time and the food to hit the protein you need in a day. It can also help to lose weight by keeping your protein requirements where they need to be while your in a calorie deficit to burn fat and maintaining muscle.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    kiniak89 wrote: »
    Hi. I have seen many people taking protein powder while dieting/ losing weight. Is it actually good for you and what is the purpose? X

i make a shake with fruit, plain yogurt and whey isolate powder most mornings. it's good for me in the sense that i'm 'eating' breakfast and it gives me a headstart on meeting my protein needs for the day. plus, it's one serving of fruit/vegetables out of the way and some of my calcium as well.

you seem to be asking specifically from a weightloss perspective though, and i can't comment on that since pre-lifting and mfp i didn't do breakfast at all.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I consume whey protein powder shakes, pre-made whey protein drinks and protein bars w/& w/o other food to meet my daily protein macro of 40% (or about 185g/day) w/o any adverse effects and w/the positive result of losing 36# from 296 to 160 in 6 months while also increasing LBM and reducing fat on a deficit diet as measured by both hydrostatic testing and DXA scan.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,912 Member
    Options
    I'd rather spend my calories on actual food, and I have no problem getting adequate protein on a vegetarian diet that way (with a personal target of a minimum of .8g per pound of healthy body weight, which I round up to 100g daily minimum).

If you find it tasty, or it helps you meet your personal protein goal, there's nothing wrong with using it. But it's not necessary for everyone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'd rather spend my calories on actual food, and I have no problem getting adequate protein on a vegetarian diet that way (with a personal target of a minimum of .8g per pound of healthy body weight, which I round up to 100g daily minimum).

If you find it tasty, or it helps you meet your personal protein goal, there's nothing wrong with using it. But it's not necessary for everyone.

That's the thing for me, mine is so tasty! Chocolate/peanut butter yumness, I look forward to it everyday and have to refrain from having too much.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It is easier and cheaper to reach my protein goal by using some supplementary products. You don't NEED to take one but if it helps you hit your macros then you may benefit from it.
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of supplements and live protein sources to hit my 180 mg goal. The powders help me avoid all of the extra fat I would have to ingest on a daily basis.
    Increasing LBM while reducing body fat is a fine-line operation. I've done well so far & have lost nearly 135 pounds and steadily increased LBM @ 1 to 3 pounds per month.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I keep it in my pantry and only use it on days I'm going to be seriously under my protein goal. I have Greek yogurt & fruit as a snack almost every day, and if I'm out of yogurt, I might make a protein fluff instead. IMHO, the Greek yogurt tastes better for essentially the same protein-per-calorie.

Also, I don't mind being seriously low on protein one day if the rest of the week makes up for it.

I'll echo that protein powder is not necessary for weight loss. The right amount of protein is good for you, but too much is not (risk constipation short term, gall stones long term and expensive). When eating in a deficit, the "right amount" to prevent muscle loss is variable.... about 1g per pound LBM if you know your body fat %, which is hard to know. Therefore people often estimate 0.8g/pound body weight or 1g per pound goal weight for really active (weight lifting) people. Less for less activity, like 0.6g per pound body weight.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I actually sampled a new protein that a sales rep brought to my gym awhile back and they claimed it burned fat due to proprietory ingredients. So infront of all the people in line I started grilling the rep with questions about the ingredients and for studies to which these ingredients were used. Long story short, that rep glares at me whenever she's at the gym now and a few people walked away with their money still in their pockets

You are a true hero among men.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    kiniak89 wrote: »

It's just a supplement to help you hit protein targets if you are otherwise missing with "regular" food. It doesn't really have anything to do with weight loss per sei...I've been in maintenance for quite awhile and I still use it to help me hit my targets.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It helps me hit my protein goal. A bit flat tasting, but I add a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and mix it up with milk. Tasty, nutritious, and satisfying. Some are good, some are bad, you just have to try them out until you find one you like.

A friend gave me protein powder once to try, it had a horrible taste, mouth feel, and aftertaste - turns out, it was a fiber suppliment to fill you up (not protein powder). I dumped the one glass I made and gave the package back to her as it wasn't going to do what I thought it'd do.