calorie goal 2lb/wk loss?

Options
heather240
heather240 Posts: 27 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
As far as the eat more weigh less... I did the military body fat percentage. I'm lost after that. Can someone help me figure out a better calorie goal. I was consuming 1200 and have increased to 1300
Weigh 235
Goal 160

Replies

• heather240
    Options
    It didn't post my pic!
    Weight 235
    Ht 64"
    Age 39
    Neck 16.5
    Waist 52
    Hips 49
    Body fat percentage 59.7%
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Remind us of you height and weight, or just eat 1500-1600 calories every day. (Let me think.)

The important thing is to focus on what's important at each stage - forget body fat percentage for now, you need to lose weight and when you eat the right amount of calories, you will lose at an apprporiate rate, and mostly fat. But you need to make sure you are indeed eating as much as you think as you are. Food scale+correct entries+consistency=success.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You don't state your age. That makes a bit of a difference, nor do you state your activity level. Did MFP give your 1200 for 2lbs a week? At any rate, for someone of your starting weight, I would not go that low. I did start with 1200 calories but I only had 10-15 lbs to lose. I struggled with 1200, so don't do it. I think you should start at around 1600 calories to be honest. I don't have any "science" for that, but I think it's a good amount and manageable. You probably won't lose 2 lbs a week, but you never know. Aim for 1 lb a week.
  • heather240
    Options
    I'm sorry it didn't post my screenshot. The second post gives more info. Activity level.. Sedentary but I plan on exercising 15min 3x/wk. Just walking for now
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    OK, we don't need a screenshot. You have given sufficient data. Your TDEE is around 2400 calories. A loss of 2 pounds per week means that you need to create a deficit of 900 calories per day. This means that you have to eat 1500 calories. Do this (for real), and you lose weight. As you lose weight, loss will be slower, but always at the right rate if you eat right (correct amount of calories, proper balance of nutrition).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Dont get too caught up in a loss rate. Work on being consistent. Weight loss is not linear--you don't lose at the same rate every day. It can also be a little slower at first--usually due to fluid shifts, other adaptations to the new routine, and the fact that your fitness level is often low so you don't burn a huge amount during your workouts.

At your size, you should be able to lose on 1500 calories per day. That's easier to sustain. You also want to increase your activity as much as possible. 3 x 15 min walks is not much. If that's what you can do now, then it's a good start. But you also want to look for more ways to increase your routine activity during the day. Good luck.
  • heather240
    Options
    Ok I'm going to try 1500 and an increase in activity. I bought a food scale and it was inaccurate by +5ounces more or less every time. I'm going to stick to measurements for now because its simpler and I've already made so many changes I don't want to overwhelm myself. Ty for the help
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    heather240 wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to try 1500 and an increase in activity. I bought a food scale and it was inaccurate by +5ounces more or less every time. I'm going to stick to measurements for now because its simpler and I've already made so many changes I don't want to overwhelm myself. Ty for the help

Did you try putting new batteries in the scale? Weaker batteries can make a scale inconsistent.

(Yeah, I know, the scale's probably new, but sometimes they put in poor quality batteries & then they sit on a shelf somewhere for eons before we buy them.)

Weighing food is not only more accurate, it's easier & less time-consuming, once you learn some tricks. But, since you have quite a bit to lose, still, you're probably fine estimating for a while. Consider a scale again if you think you're eating at a losing level, but loss levels off unexpectedly.
  • heather240
    Options
    @AnnPT77 It isn't digital. You're right.. That's what I thought. I just need to focus on better choices. I started a job today and its surrounding me with garbage food. So its a true test.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 It isn't digital. You're right.. That's what I thought. I just need to focus on better choices. I started a job today and its surrounding me with garbage food. So its a true test.

You can make this work: Best wishes!
  • heather240
    Options
    Ty so much! I'm feeling the difference already and seeing how much worse large fatty meals make me feel! Ugh. But eating healthy is a challenge esp on a very low income.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Oh, but you need a digital scale! An analog will be all over the place.

Ty so much! I'm feeling the difference already and seeing how much worse large fatty meals make me feel! Ugh. But eating healthy is a challenge esp on a very low income.
    A low income poses challenges in a lot of areas, but healthy/unhealthy eating is not one of them. Buy simple single food ingredients, and cook. Simple and easy meals can be balanced, tasty and nutritious. Plan your meals so that you eat everything. Look at the price per pound. Buy in season.

I get the impression you are afraid of dietary fat? Don't be. Fat is important for homones, skin, absorbtion of vitamins, mouth feel and satiety. What you should stay away from is the hipster food - organic, health food, prepped, enriched, "low/free" food. Don't see some foods as super foods and other foods as garbage - they all provide something (well, not the "low/free" food).

If some foods are too tempting and difficult to not overeat, you need a plan. Prepare a better alternative, and better doesn't mean just better nutritionally, but something you would choose to eat regardless of nutritional value.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Probably restricting sugar will be a greater challenge for you than fat, since you had a major pop habit.

Having a daily plan will probably be helpful, and then you can see how the foods you are surrounded by at work will fit in with that. Even if all the choices seem "unhealthy", some will work better than others in the context of your overall diet. Portion size is key.