RUNNERS! Hip pain when upping distance help

Options
Second time this has happened and I'm not very biologically minded (does that even make sense) so I was hoping some fellow runners could shed some light on this for me.
I ran a little longer than normal today, nothing major, 7k up from 5k. This is the second time I've done this and both times I've developed a bit of a hip pain on the left side afterwards. I had no pain when running and none when sitting, only when I'm walking, and it's developed over the last 3 or 4 hours.
Does it sound like a hip flexor problem? Any ideas on how to prevent it in the future?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Any time I up distance too quickly, this happens to me, exactly. No pain running or sitting, just walking. It would stick around for about a day or two before fading. Eventually, I ended up sidelined for months and with physical therapy over issues I ignored and ran through (found out I had a crooked pelvis and a leg significantly longer than the other).

It might not seem like a lot, but maybe jumping from 5k to 7k is just too much. I recommend upping the distance more slowly. Start with 5.5k for a week or two, then 6k, etc.

Also, have you been fitted for running shoes and had your gait looked at? I found that quality shoes helped the issue, but when my gait was analyzed, I found that I overpronated and was a huge heel striker. Since then, correct form is a big thing I work on while running. 180 steps per minute, striking mid-foot, etc.

If you continue to have pain, then it's time to get checked out by a sports medicine doctor.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Any time I up distance too quickly, this happens to me, exactly. No pain running or sitting, just walking. It would stick around for about a day or two before fading. Eventually, I ended up sidelined for months and with physical therapy over issues I ignored and ran through (found out I had a crooked pelvis and a leg significantly longer than the other).

It might not seem like a lot, but maybe jumping from 5k to 7k is just too much. I recommend upping the distance more slowly. Start with 5.5k for a week or two, then 6k, etc.

Also, have you been fitted for running shoes and had your gait looked at? I found that quality shoes helped the issue, but when my gait was analyzed, I found that I overpronated and was a huge heel striker. Since then, correct form is a big thing I work on while running. 180 steps per minute, striking mid-foot, etc.

If you continue to have pain, then it's time to get checked out by a sports medicine doctor.

Thank you. I guess I could have increased too quickly. It's so hard when you have the energy to keep going to not just run forever! That's the shortest extra distance I can do on a loop to end up back by my house, so I suppose I'll just stop part way around and walk back instead. I havn't been fitted, we don't have a store that does that anywhere near me, and I can't run on a treadmill anyway (seriously, I get dizzy and veer off to the side, it's weird) but I do have good quality Asics. I'll cut back on the extra distance and work more slowly, if that doesnt fix it I guess it's a trip to a different city for new shoes!
  • milesgmfp
    milesgmfp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had this exact problem too recently, increased my distance and started to get right hip pain combined with left shin and calf pain. Went from running 10 miles per week to 25, and it was just too much at once.

Took some time off and starting to feel much better. I also bought some extra cushioning shoes just to help on the longer distance runs.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »

Thank you. I guess I could have increased too quickly. It's so hard when you have the energy to keep going to not just run forever! That's the shortest extra distance I can do on a loop to end up back by my house, so I suppose I'll just stop part way around and walk back instead. I havn't been fitted, we don't have a store that does that anywhere near me, and I can't run on a treadmill anyway (seriously, I get dizzy and veer off to the side, it's weird) but I do have good quality Asics. I'll cut back on the extra distance and work more slowly, if that doesnt fix it I guess it's a trip to a different city for new shoes!

Even if slowing increase of distance fixes it, I really really really (enough reallys? Haha) suggest getting fitted for a shoe if possible, even if that means a day heading to another city to do so. You can really mess up many parts of your body without proper shoes if this is something you want to continue over the long term and longer distances. For example, you could be high arched but wearing a low arch shoe without knowing, which can mess up your foot because the arch support isn't there. Just one example of many. Out of all gear, a runner's shoes are most important. Not to mention, big box retailers do not make shoes of high quality even if the brand is known for high quality because they would have to up the price. Most good running shoes run around $120-150.

• Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    As a beginner runner, I developed a nagging hip and opposite knee pain. It was muscle instability secondary to over-striding when running. Once I recovered from the injury I changed my form when running, significantly increasing my cadence to prevent overstriding and slightly locking onto my core when running. This has helped immensely. Good place to watch some examples of good running form is Youtube
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Usually they recommend that you increase running distance 10% per week, which would translate into 5.5K for you. You increased by 28% or almost 3x too much. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I increase distance, I usually have some pain, but nothing too major. The first time I ran 7 miles, "everything" hurt and I said I would never do it again. Slow down, and increase mileage slowly over the week. I have of course run 7 miles again, and even longer now without pain. You have to pace yourself. If you continue to have pain, check your shoes.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Dial up more gradually.

You may want to check your shoes. Hip pain can be a sign your shoes are not supporting you enough, either from not being beefy enough or from age and wearing out.

You may want to consider adding some yoga to your exercise routine. Hips can get very tight with running, and complimenting it with targeting stretching can really help.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I second muscle imbalances. Check your medial glute strength. Foam roll, stretch and up the mileage slowly.

If you have acics, I can't imagine that you need new shoes. I totally disagree with having to spend 120-150 USD for shoes. I never spend that much- and I do have good shoes.

Idk about a gait analysis. They are expensive and will probably tell you to work on muscle groups that you already should be working on:

IT band
    Hip flexors, adductors and abductors
    Piriformis
    Glute strength (medial, min and max)
    Core
    Watch for hamstring tightness, and IT band tightness

See a Physical therapist/sports therapist is you need help. Don't wait until your hurt. Unmanageable niggles warrant a visit. (I think every US state but Texas allows you a 30 day visit to a pt without a doctor's script).

Maybe hold your distance for a few weeks. Or cut back a week (which you should be doing once every 4-6 weeks). Then ramp it back up. Keep your strides short and run slow.

You might look at a training plan a see how the miles and weeks are structured. You don't have to abide by one, you can make one - just notice how the miles add and subtract throughout a training cycle.

How many miles/week and how many days/week are you running?

How long have you been running?

ETA it could be hip bursitis too. I'd just Google the symptoms and see if it fits.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The easy things to do have been mentioned. Up your distance/time running no more than 10% a week, and go to a running-shoe store and get a decent running shoe. If you're going to get serious about running then there's no substitute for some light stretching after your run and some strength training to help stabilize your stride to remain injury free.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I second muscle imbalances. Check your medial glute strength. Foam roll, stretch and up the mileage slowly.

If you have acics, I can't imagine that you need new shoes. I totally disagree with having to spend 120-150 USD for shoes. I never spend that much- and I do have good shoes.

Idk about a gait analysis. They are expensive and will probably tell you to work on muscle groups that you already should be working on:

IT band
    Hip flexors, adductors and abductors
    Piriformis
    Glute strength (medial, min and max)
    Core
    Watch for hamstring tightness, and IT band tightness

See a Physical therapist/sports therapist is you need help. Don't wait until your hurt. Unmanageable niggles warrant a visit. (I think every US state but Texas allows you a 30 day visit to a pt without a doctor's script).

Maybe hold your distance for a few weeks. Or cut back a week (which you should be doing once every 4-6 weeks). Then ramp it back up. Keep your strides short and run slow.

You might look at a training plan a see how the miles and weeks are structured. You don't have to abide by one, you can make one - just notice how the miles add and subtract throughout a training cycle.

How many miles/week and how many days/week are you running?

How long have you been running?

ETA it could be hip bursitis too. I'd just Google the symptoms and see if it fits.

I live in the UK unfortunately and sports therapists are out of my price range, however if this is something I have a problem with more even cutting my distance down then I'll speak to some of the trainers in my gym at least.

I've been running for about 8 months, started with the C25K but stopped half way through to work out my own way. I've been running 2 5k's for maybe a month and a half now a week with the occasional shorter speed work run too, along with strength training in the gym twice a week and some work on the cross trainer.

I want to work up to 10k but my work schedule doesnt allow for me to be putting extra time in every week, only once every few weeks which is why I ran a longer run today.

I don't think it's my trainers, I have special insoles for my hiking boots as poor fitting shoes really play havoc with my feet but I feel properly supported in my Asics. Even when my feet are aching barefoot I put them on and I can put pressure on my entire foot.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    You should be do some running at least 3 days a week. Less than that you may not be actually building any endurance.

When you've been running about a year regularly, I'd then add speed work, not before.

Most women have troubles that originate in the hips. So I'd start there.

Good luck!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the other posters here, but I did experience some bad hip pain issues due to overuse (I think) back this past summer when I greatly increased my running.

Foam rolling helped me more than stretching did, though I did both. I pretty much just rested until the pain stopped and then slowly picked everything back up again without engaging beast mode like the idiot I was trying to be and started building endurance at a more measured pace.

And I still foam roll every single morning, the minute I get out of bed.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the other posters here, but I did experience some bad hip pain issues due to overuse (I think) back this past summer when I greatly increased my running.

Foam rolling helped me more than stretching did, though I did both. I pretty much just rested until the pain stopped and then slowly picked everything back up again without engaging beast mode like the idiot I was trying to be and started building endurance at a more measured pace.

And I still foam roll every single morning, the minute I get out of bed.

Where should I foam roll to help my hip? I have one, and I use it mainly on my calves but sometimes all the way up the back of my legs/bum if I've pushed hard on hills but never anything that targets hips. I did realise yesterday though that I stretched a bit but I didnt roll after my run, could be a factor!

The pain has completely gone now, it only seems to last the day. I'm thinking of doing a bridge to 10k programme to stop me from just keeping going as long as I can.
  • Misssynth
    Options
    You should be do some running at least 3 days a week. Less than that you may not be actually building any endurance.

When you've been running about a year regularly, I'd then add speed work, not before.

Good luck!

If I don't add speed work, how will I increase my 5k time ready for my race in spring?
    I run at least twice a week and if I don't run a 3rd time I Interval train on the cross trainer for half an hour in the gym. It's winter here and I can only run first thing in the morning (setting off between 6.30am and 7am) because I don't actually finish work until 7pm, so some mornings are too frosty/icy to venture out. I'll be running more come spring, but like I said I have my first ever 5k race then.
  • jumpingandlifting
    jumpingandlifting Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some of the rowing machine, or some assault bike workouts (Google it if you aren't sure what it is), this can increase your endurance and stamina and not kill your knees as much. It will definitely help your ability to run longer and faster.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I’m in the UK too. I get up and run at 6am, even when it’s frosty, and just make sure I have appropriate clothing. If people can run in Canadian winters then we can certainly run in our more temperate climate. The only thing that stops me is when it’s too dark, when I use the treadmill. (actually I’ve just slung on a headtorch and gone with it recently, because, well, that’s more fun).

Don’t worry about speedwork for your first 5k. It’s your first race, so you have nothing to compare it too. Just go there and run and you’ll be faster than you’ve run in training. Running further will help your endurance and speed, but don’t try and build too quickly. I’ve recently stalled on trying to run further myself, so what I’m doing is building endurance up by running more often but just short runs. Even half an hour in the morning will help. definitely look into a scheduled programme such as bridge to 10k to give you clear instructions on building up.

As to foam rolling – side plank to the hip?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »

Good luck!
    Where should I foam roll to help my hip? I have one, and I use it mainly on my calves but sometimes all the way up the back of my legs/bum if I've pushed hard on hills but never anything that targets hips. I did realise yesterday though that I stretched a bit but I didnt roll after my run, could be a factor!

The pain has completely gone now, it only seems to last the day. I'm thinking of doing a bridge to 10k programme to stop me from just keeping going as long as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4JbDQHJ_2M
  • Misssynth
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I’m in the UK too. I get up and run at 6am, even when it’s frosty, and just make sure I have appropriate clothing. If people can run in Canadian winters then we can certainly run in our more temperate climate. The only thing that stops me is when it’s too dark, when I use the treadmill. (actually I’ve just slung on a headtorch and gone with it recently, because, well, that’s more fun).

Don’t worry about speedwork for your first 5k. It’s your first race, so you have nothing to compare it too. Just go there and run and you’ll be faster than you’ve run in training. Running further will help your endurance and speed, but don’t try and build too quickly. I’ve recently stalled on trying to run further myself, so what I’m doing is building endurance up by running more often but just short runs. Even half an hour in the morning will help. definitely look into a scheduled programme such as bridge to 10k to give you clear instructions on building up.

As to foam rolling – side plank to the hip?

What shoes to you run in when it's frosty? I live very rural so we get freezing fog a lot with our frost and ice patches. I set out the other day, stepped off the path to cross the road and nearly ended up on my bum! Safe to say I went back into the house and did a HIIT workout instead.