What are your food allergies?

Options

Do they keep you from eating the way you should?

I'm allergic to apples, peaches, pears, plums, figs, apricots, cherries, and almonds! My allergist said because I was so allergic to tree pollen, my body thinks I'm eating pollen when I eat a fruit or nut from a tree that has a pit!

It sure makes eating healthier less fun!!

Replies

• skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. I hate it, because I love yogurt...it just doesn't love me :'C
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Thank God -- I have none. Once I thought I was allergic to flax because I was eating flaxseed tortilla chips and having trouble breathing. But it turns out I was just sitting completely slumped against the wall and that can happen :P
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm alergic to certain types of "fake meat" vegetarian foods. Seeing as I'm a vegetarian, and this happens, it makes it even harder to get my protein....D:. I get incredibly sick to my stomach, where it hurts so bad I can bareley move until it's out of my system hahaXD.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to antibiotics that are given to "meat"...
    It seems they are mostly in poultry.

So I have to buy organic. But it's really hard to find around here.

So yeah, it keeps from eating the way I should because when I look at "diet" recipes it's always with chicken or turkey.
    At restaurants, the good choices are with poultry...I don't have a reaction right away. It might take a few days and then I'm full of urticaria.
    I cannot eat soup at restaurant (unless it,s vegan).

What you have is called "crossed- allergies", and it's a pain in the a**! Because it's not a "real" allergy. That means that one time you can eat a peach without having any problems, and the next time you can get very sick.
    Usually when the fruits or veggies are cooked its better. I really had troubles with apples but when I eat apple pie it's okay.
    I always have benadryl+epipen with me...
    I'm highly to birch so it's pretty much the same thing. Most of the time I eat peaches and stuff like that and I am very okay. But when I eat them in april-may my mouth itches like hell.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I'm allergic to apples, peaches, pears, plums, figs, apricots, cherries, and almonds! My allergist said because I was so allergic to tree pollen, my body thinks I'm eating pollen when I eat a fruit or nut from a tree that has a pit!

That's Oral Allergy Syndrome then, not a true allergy. You may find that you can eat these foods if they are cooked (changes the structure of the protein) or during seasons when the pollens to which you are allergic are not floating around. Folks with OAS usually have the worst response to the food in it's raw state.

I have OAS too. ;) Here's an article on it for those who've never heard the term before: http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/oas.htm

If you google Oral Allergy Syndrome, you may be able to find a better list of cross-reactions.
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    I am allergic to pineapples.... i eat it anyways..
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    eggs, shellfish and nuts. i also cant tolerate wheat very well due to IBS so I try and exclude wheat as much as possible. However, most wheat free products contains eggs which is madness! I have to carry antihistamines with me every time I go for a meal and I also have an epi pen "just in case" but I've not had to use it yet, touch wood.

No cake, no omelette, pancakes, batter, etc :( Its annoying having to ask at every restaurant about ingredients, although most big chains carry lists I can check out before ordering. Rubbish when everyone can have nice interesting desserts and I have to have a sorbet or a coffee :(

I also have skin allergies to lanolin and some perfumes.
  • Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Hmmm maybe that's how I am too! I'm allergic to pollen and also a lot of raw foods. I always wondered why, because every once in awhile I won't have a reaction. Huh.

Also, avocado. Weird hahaha
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Oh boy....

Nuts (peanuts I can tollerate in small small doses)
    Apples
    Peaches (WORST OF THE WORST)
    Nectarines
    Apricots
    Cherries
    Kiwis
    Cheese (Can tolerate it in small doses)

Today I braved an apricot, and my ears and mouth and lips swelled up and got itchy

Still trying to find my balance

No I don't keep away like I should, I'm a peanut butter JUNKIE! but I try to only have 3 TBSP's a week
  • raychybabe
    Options

sorry but this isn't an allergy - probabaly an intolerance.

An allergy is when your body produces dangerous levels of histamines resulting in side effects like mouth swelling, cramps, sickness, vomiting, rash, constriction of airways etc. They can be fatal in some severe cases.

Some people have intolerances, but they're not allergies, per se.

Sorry but I suffer quite badly, theres no way I'd eat nuts/eggs "anyway"!
  • medangel06
    medangel06 Posts: 25
    Options
    I am allergic to red die found in fruit snacks like gushers. BUT MSG causes me headaches. MSG is in soups, Chinese foods, and foods like Cheetos. It's a pain but I guess it helps me watch what I eat.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Casein ( milk from cow's milk), egg whites, and gluten and the allergies I have to cook around but they are all my daughters...
  • lindsabe11e
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, but don't eat much dairy except lowfat yogurts anyway. I also have IBS & GERD, which means limited fatty foods & acidic foods, and spicy things I just can't eat. Most of the time it's good that I can't eat those things (without consequence anyway lol), but sometimes it limits my nutritional variety. For example, I have to be careful not to eat too much orange, pineapple, peppers, etc.

Overall, I'd say it's the same basic rule for everyone, even without a restricted diet: Everything in moderation :)
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    eggs, shellfish and nuts. i also cant tolerate wheat very well due to IBS so I try and exclude wheat as much as possible. However, most wheat free products contains eggs which is madness! I have to carry antihistamines with me every time I go for a meal and I also have an epi pen "just in case" but I've not had to use it yet, touch wood.

No cake, no omelette, pancakes, batter, etc :( Its annoying having to ask at every restaurant about ingredients, although most big chains carry lists I can check out before ordering. Rubbish when everyone can have nice interesting desserts and I have to have a sorbet or a coffee :(

I also have skin allergies to lanolin and some perfumes.

And I feel your pain try finding vegan gluten free products....I will warn you they don't taste like the real thing though
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options

sorry but this isn't an allergy - probabaly an intolerance.

An allergy is when your body produces dangerous levels of histamines resulting in side effects like mouth swelling, cramps, sickness, vomiting, rash, constriction of airways etc. They can be fatal in some severe cases.

Some people have intolerances, but they're not allergies, per se.

Sorry but I suffer quite badly, theres no way I'd eat nuts/eggs "anyway"!

I agree I've been hospitalized twice for food allergies, first time I ate raw almonds I was in hospital within 10 minutes cuz my airways were blocked - luckily I worked 3 blocks away from the closest hospital, I can't go anywhere without an Epi pen :(
  • raychybabe
    Options

Overall, I'd say it's the same basic rule for everyone, even without a restricted diet: Everything in moderation :)

If you have an allergy, moderation is not an option.

In my case, my mouth, tongue and sometimes throat swell up and I feel severely sick. There's no way I would eat something that did that to me in "moderation"!!
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I'm allergic to soy. Which killed my vegan diet. I'm trying to get back to that. But it sucks since it's in EVERYTHING!
  • fantomette
    Options
    people you are scarring me!
    if you have some type of reaction to food you SHOULDN'T EAT.
    There is no such thing as "being a little allergic" to something.
    It might be okay. The next time: okay. The next time okay.
    And then you're at a restaurant, you eat it and you FREAKING DIE.

I had to use my EPIPEN, thank goodness I had one! But believe me, you really don't feel good afterward, you're a mess.
    If your mouth itch or you have bumps or urticaria after taking medecine or eating some food: go to the doctor, get tested.
  • fantomette
    Options
    "If you have an allergy, moderation is not an option.

In my case, my mouth, tongue and sometimes throat swell up and I feel severely sick. There's no way I would eat something that did that to me in "moderation"!!"

Exactly! thank you!
  • Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to soy. Which killed my vegan diet. I'm trying to get back to that. But it sucks since it's in EVERYTHING!

Oh yeah, soy milk gives me the worst stomach pains ever!!